Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Uneven hair, thinking of a trim. (or a chop? "/)

Default Uneven hair, thinking of a trim. (or a chop? "/)

So, I've always known my hair is uneven. I went a few months back to get it evened out. I guess one side of my hair just grows faster than the other (MUCH faster).

So this is what I'm stuck with, which, if I wear it up (half up-half down, or just up in a bun etc) doesn't look so bad:

But I love wearing my hair down. And I feel very self conscious about it. People (the girls I went to beauty school with) point out that it's uneven, and they ask if I'll let them cut it.

So, I'm thinking about going in whenever this snow lets up. Should I trim it to line 1, 2, or 3? What would you guys do, and why?

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: Uneven hair, thinking of a trim. (or a chop? "/)

Line 3, definitely, unless you can see a lot of damage above it. I can't, all I see is beautiful, shiny curls. Lose as little length as you can get away with.

(My right-side hair grows faster than my left; one reason for my regular trims.)

Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Trim it to line 3. You have lovely thick hair.
    Your righteousness is like the mountains of God; your judgments are like the great deep; man and beast you save, O LORD. Psalm 36:6

Length
    21.5/BSL+/Waist
    Type
    2b/F/ii

If you want to trim I'd only go to 3, just to get the hem looking more even. I'm not sure why you'd want to go to 1 or 2. Personally, I would straighten it first just to make sure it's not tighter curl pattern making it look uneven. The middle of my hair is like this. No matter what I do, I always look like I have a gap in the middle of my hem. Trimming won't help it and I'd just lose hair.

You hair looks beautiful, whatever you decide to do.

Getting closer...

Length
    12"/25"/48"
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

I think if you just trim it around the #3 level it will be nicely evened out. My hair grows unevenly too and, like you, I prefer to wear it down. It's a challenge.

About how much would you say that is? This is one of the reasons I hate growing my hair out- even when I tell the people I only want a microtrim, and then, little by little, they can take more off (because my hair shrinks when it's dry, but you all know that)- it always gets messed up. They take at least 1 1/2-2 inches off and I feel like I want to scream.

Quote Originally Posted by jivete View Post
    If you want to trim I'd only go to 3, just to get the hem looking more even. I'm not sure why you'd want to go to 1 or 2. Personally, I would straighten it first just to make sure it's not tighter curl pattern making it look uneven. The middle of my hair is like this. No matter what I do, I always look like I have a gap in the middle of my hem. Trimming won't help it and I'd just lose hair.

You hair looks beautiful, whatever you decide to do.
    You think I should load it with some coney heat protectant and flat iron it tonight, just to be sure?
    Last edited by Finoriel; February 20th, 2010 at 11:04 AM. Reason: merged doubled posts

Length
    35 in/39 in/43 in
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by coscass View Post
    You think I should load it with some coney heat protectant and flat iron it tonight, just to be sure?
    I don't think you need to flat iron it to get it straight. Could you just blow dry it on low-heat or cool setting? I would use a blow dryer to straighten it and then trim to 3 or less. I would just even up the ends... I wouldn't do more than necessary because your hair seems nice and thick and in good condition.

My hair was severely uneven looking and I ended up losing almost 2 inches but people didn't really even notice I cut it but what is noticeable is that the ends are much nicer. I could have probably gotten away with having less trimmed off.

Lady Arduinna, Keeper of the North Forest in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    19/30/36
    Type
    1a/F/ii

For the love of all that is holy, don't cut above line 3!!!!!! I don't know that you need to straighten your hair per se, but you could just have someone pull the ends taut and compare.

I know that it's difficult for you to tell just how much hair that is due to your curls. Perhaps you could just take a section of the hair you want cut, measure how much you want cut, and then stretch that same bit to see the "real" measurement.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by FrannyG View Post
    For the love of all that is holy, don't cut above line 3!!!!!!
    i lol'd so hard at this!! i'll keep you guys posted..i think im just gunna bite the bullet and flat iron my hair tonight. reason being my allergy pill hasnt been working lately(i think they've expired), and every time i hop in the shower i get hives. so i'd rather just flat iron it.I'll run out after this snowstorm, pick up some new allergy pills, then DT for a few hours the next night. Should be okay.

Length
    28/45/36
    Type
    1b/M/C/iii

Yeah line 3 not above it! Your hair is amazing.
    * Ann @ Last.FM * Hair Journal *
    I'm past goal, I don't know what I'm doing now.