Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flat Iron addict in need of help!

Length
    ?/26"/35
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Default Flat Iron addict in need of help!

So I really, REALLY damaged my hair with a flat iron about a year ago, cut off all the damage and now I'm longing for that silky, smooth flat ironed hair again! I've held off for so long but someone commented on how "unkempt" my hair looks, even right after I combed through it!I really would prefer not even to blow dry it because it causes damage and makes my hair looks even worse. Trying to describe the problem is a bit hard, but I'll try! My hair is very fine, but not thin, more normal to thick. It seems so "light" and "airy" on the ends, even though I only have a few wispy layers in the front that I am trying to grow out, all the rest of my hair is one length. I must wash it everyday because it's extremely oily. What can I do to eliminate the "airy" texture of my hair to make it seem "heavier" and straighter without damaging it? I've tried many finishing cremes, frizz serums and leave in conditioners, but nothing seems to work! Please give me your advice

Length
    pixie/short/?
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Default Re: Flat Iron addict in need of help!

Step away from the flat iron!!

Although I don't know how to do it myself, I know there are ways of wrapping the hair when it's damp to create a silky straight 'do. Someone else here will have to explain it.
    In a grow and cut cycle...

Length
    15.5?/Shldr/30-34
    Type
    1b/1c/F/iii

Wearing it up in a bun is a good way to hide it, or even a ponytail!

Personally, I'd suggest putting some sort of oil, like olive oil or shea butter or coconut oil on the very ends, very little, and brushing it thru. Maybe even a little bit of gel to weigh it down. Brushing my hair out with shea butter melted in my hand and such weighs down my babyfine, but VERY thick hair quite well. Can you wash your hair only at the scalp as opposed to at the ends? That might also help!
    Fast typer.
    I have fine hair that I'm working on growing long!

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

You could roll it on large rollers to get a smoothed out appearance. When I used to do this, I would wash in the late afternoon, and before bed when my hair was only a little damp or even dry, I would make a top of head ponytail and roll the ends/length on rollers.

Length
    ?/26"/35
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I can't use oil- ANY amount seems to find itself taveling from the roots to the ends!

Messyhair: I'm interested in this wrapping technique- do you know where I can find an article on it?

spidermom: I have done this with pretty good results, but I don't have the time in the morning. I get up at 5:30 to shower (and wash my hair) and have to be at school by a bit after seven
    Last edited by Teacherbear; March 2nd, 2010 at 08:56 PM. Reason: merge 2 posts

Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

And you can't wash your hair after school instead of before school because .... ?

Length
    ?/26"/35
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

oily- I'm still going through my hormonal teenage years. It looks oily only about an hour after I get home from school

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

If you're shampooing a lot with a harsh shampoo, it could be making your hair MORE oily in the long run. When you strip all the oil off the scalp your scalp compensates by... making more oil.

Perhaps try diluting your shampoo a bit and spacing out your washings, then see if your oil production drops after a few weeks

Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I understand. I had the same thing, but I always bathed at night instead of in the morning because I wanted to stay in bed as long as possible. My hair was o.k. for one day but not for a second day. I don't have that problem now, but my skin still is oily (and getting wrinkles too; how fair is that?).

Length
    ?/26"/35
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I use a pretty mild shampoo- no sulfates and the coconut cleaning agent is pretty far down the list.