Thread: No poo, sweat, and dandruff questions

Onward and Upward GoddesJourney's Avatar
    Length
    BSL/TBL!/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii/iii

Default No poo, sweat, and dandruff questions

Okay, so I've found that I require daily washing or I get dandruff. I can use the no sulphate stuff and it's fine. Lately, I've been trying to use very little of it just around the scalp and use a lot of conditioner after it. It seems to leave my hair a little unwashed feeling both at the scalp and on the length. It's weird and uncomfortable for me, which could be because I'm just used to squeaky clean hair and scalp. Anyway, I like to work out so I get sweaty. I'm wondering if there's some low-maintenance, extremely fast no poo method of hair washing that would work for someone like me. I'm on my way to the Air Force in April at the latest, so I have time to adjust before I go. My hair is short enough that I can have it this length. It's not like I can bring a lot of hair product with me and I doubt they'll have anything other than the usual commercial product for me to purchase while I'm there. Furthermore, I will likely have two minutes in the shower, so it needs to be fast. I'm almost finished growing out damage and I don't want to get it all back from cones and sulphates again.

I should mention that I will be in Texas summer heat, working out a lot and getting dirty. My hair will be up all the time and I will probably bring a little jar of coconut oil to help my hair stay up. It should serve to moisturize and help my hair stay up, since I don't use styling products. Anyway, I use it on my skin instead of lotion, too.

So anyway, does anyone who had dandruff issues if they don't wash daily now use a no poo method without this problem?

For cool tips on life, check out my blog, How to Be Awesome, For Free, a survival guide for surviving in style.

Length
    chin/hip/hip
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Default Re: No poo, sweat, and dandruff questions

Well, I'm no poo, but I haven't had any dandruff issues until I had used too much baking soda and had THAT flaking...

I've heard that if you dilute 50/50 water and vinegar and pour/massage that on your scalp, this can help a lot with dandruff. For me personally, vinegar makes my hair greasy, so I use tea rinses instead... lavender is suppossed to be antiseptic for the scalp. I add some dried lavender to hot water and let it steep. Then I strain the cool liquid and pour that on my scalp and massage.

I think even just using rinses should be enough for you even though you are working out. After all, sweat is just water and salt. Try it and see.

Length
    BSL/TBL!/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii/iii

Like just rinsing with water?

For cool tips on life, check out my blog, How to Be Awesome, For Free, a survival guide for surviving in style.

Evil, not Bad Moderator (SB) trolleypup's Avatar
    Length
    52"/62"/77" *
    Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by GoddesJourney View Post
    Like just rinsing with water?
    Yep.

Especially when you are still hot and sweaty, especially when you get the spray through your hair to the scalp. At least, that is my experience...the most effective WO washes were under those conditions.

At least it should stretch the time between product washes.

2b-2a/C/iii 61"/155cm/growing fitfully longer
    LJ - Blog
    Unless specified otherwise, I am speaking as a member, not a moderator

Length
    BSL/TBL!/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii/iii

So anyone have any ideas on low maintenance washes that I can do during basic training that I should start aclimating to now? I need something that will keep my scalp clean so I don't get dandruff. Did anyone who had dandruff when they didn't wash find that it eventually stopped happening with the no poo regime?

Length
    23/23/35
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

I use lemon juice to deal with my dandruff.

If it gets bad, I squirt it on my scalp straight from the bottle and leave it overnight. My hair around my scalp gets crispy, but it's fine once I rinse it out.

If I'm in a hurry, I do a quick spritz with lemon, then just rinse.

My overall hair routine is baking soda and lemon juice.