Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trimming only once a year?

Length
    chin/bsl/???
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii/iii

Default Trimming only once a year?

What do you think - is that often enough for virgin hair? What's the longest you went between trims?

Length
    chin/waist/hip
    Type
    2c/3a/C/iii

If you take good care of your hair and don't see many splits or anything that seems fine to me. I have gone literally YEARS (I'm talking 5 or more) without ever letting scissors near my hair and it's always been just fine. But I have always taken very good care of my hair, no chemicals and very little heat styling etc. If your hair is good without trims or with very infrequent trims that's totally fine.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I don't think I could go that long, at least without some thorough S&Ding in between. But while Feisty Redhead has course hair, I have fine hair which breaks easily even though it's quite healthy. Keep an eye on your hair. It'll tell you when it needs a trim.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    short/41/45"
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

ive never actually gotten a proffesional trim. i used to just get a new hair cut every now and then... as you can see from my siggy my hair has layers. the layers are from this haircut in september of 2006.

its horrible!! i asked the lady to even out my hair and this is what she thought i meant when i said it... hair all about 4 inches long!!
    i didnt trim until a year later when i joined lhc.. i only trimmed it because my hair was (is still in the lowerhalf) damaged from me bleaching and dying my hair all the shades of the rainbow... i cant even remember half the colors but my hair was bright pink for the longest.
    so anyway i went a year without trims with very badly damaged hair so your virgin hair should be fine...
    can i call this classic length

Obsessive Oilaholic ChloeDharma's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I agree with Feisty Redhead, if it's virgin and you are taking good care of it then i see no reason to have to trim unless you want to maintain a very neat hemline.

Some people never cut their hair ever in their lives (think Sikhs) Maybe check out the no trimming thread for examples of non-trimmers
    The heart would have no rainbow, had the eyes no tears.

Length
    20"/43"/40"
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/iii

Wow squiggyflop your eyes are HUGE <snork>

I keep my trimming to every 6 months, but I'm one that is anal about having full ends, with very little splits. The only heat styling I've done in the last year was blow drying straight because I missed doing it - I'll tell you after the straw I experienced with that and how freaky my hair felt in general I won't be doing that again. I also henna which nearly makes any splits disapear (wow, how do you spell that word!?!). I will say it's tough going that long without a trim for me, but my growth makes it worth it, and taking impecable care of my hair keeps me from going to insane.
    I'm not ADHD, it's just... Do you like cookiesSewing Blog!

Length
    22/33/hip33
    Type
    1c/M/ii

Exclamation

I haven't trimed in a year!

I finally made it! I was such a trim-a-holic. I plan on getting it cut tomorrow and proboly every six months from now on.

I going to do my first cassia treatment after this cut as well to help with the the parts that are still color damaged.

Length
    16"/BSL+/Waist
    Type
    1c/M/ii/iii

I trim every 9 months. My last trim was February, so I am not due until November.

I only do it because I like to even up my hemline, and because after the benign negligence, it is fun to be "doing something" with my hair. Granted, only a 1/4 inch came off, but it felt like a treat to have it cleaned up.

I do not have any split ends, so for me, waiting long period of time is harmless.

Length
    21/47.5/?
    Type
    2c/M/C/ii

I haven't trimmed in 2.5 years, and my hair was damaged by chemical colouring. On the plus side, I discovered henna, which strengthened the damaged bits.

Anyway, trimming is only necessary for people who want blunt ends. If you're happy with fairy tale ends, then the only maintenance needed would be S&D (search and destroy - snipping individual split ends).

Check out the no trimming thread (in my siggy).

Length
    Chin/TBL/???
    Type
    1c/M/ii

I've gone 13 months without a trim, on virgin hair with no heat styling. I found that the last couple inches of my hair didn't do too bad, but I had to S&D often. My biggest gripe is that my ends get kinda scraggly looking and I'm crazy about needed tidy hemlines (I love fairytales on others, but not on me!) Plus, my hair seems to like trimming... i.e. it grows better if I trim ever 4 months or so. (I know I know, that's a 'no-no' on LHC... but alas, that's what my hair tells me)

Lady Sunrise of the Prairie