Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Trimming only once a year?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I am currently at 11 months without trimming and feel my hair is in pretty good condition. I have been S&Ding though. I think I may try and go through the summer also - though I think I will review how I feel my hair is doing on a monthly basis and trim sooner if I feel it needs it.

Length
    25/40/45
    Type
    1b/M/ii

I really think it depends on your hair type and the condition of your hair. I tried it - no trims for a year - and I ended up trimming more damaged ends off than wanted. Now, I trim about every 3 months. I have fragile ends and the frequent trims help keep them from getting too scraggly (is that a word? LOL)
    TammySue

OldTimer Older than LHC Teacherbear's Avatar
    Type
    2c/F/ii

I think I've gone 15-18 months between trims.
    Hmm, what should this say? I'm thinking . . .

Length
    BSL/BSL/Class
    Type
    3a/3b/F/iii

I trim only once a year. I really do it just to neaten the ends since a lot of my lower length is damaged from hair coloring (before I understood how to only color the roots) and from when I use to brush my hair.

I think that I may trim even less when I get rid of all the damage. I think if your ends are generally healthy, you don't need to trim your ends much.
    RedButterfly
    Lady Melete of the Heart Hearkened Tales in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    25/38.4/50
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

I am just about a year without trimming now and I don't have noticeable more split ends than a year ago...

I sometimes do some S&D when I am bored, so my splits are being taken care of.

I think it is possible. My hair is even chemically dyed and I don't have problems without trimming.

Length
    22/33/hip33
    Type
    1c/M/ii

I just trimmed for the first time in a year on tuesday. I think I went to long as my hair looked bad at the ends for the last three months. My hair is color and perm damaged so for virgin hair I do not see it being a problem.

Type
    3b/3c/F/iii

It's going on three years since I last had a trim or cut. My hair is not prone to split ends. though. Plus, I don't use heat and mostly keep it up and protected. Like others have said, I think it largely depends on your hair type and what you do to your hair.
    ~The shadows are as important as the light.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I have been experimenting with going longer between trims. I used to get them every 6-8 weeks. Even at that frequent schedule, I slowly gained length. It seems that I did best getting trims every 3 months because I stretched it out to every 4 months this year and the ends got very dried out and split. I had to lose 2 inches (give/take) of length all at once since I didn't want to fight with tangles and knots all the time. Losing 1/4 to 1/2 inch every 3 months felt a lot better because I didn't notice the loss of that teeny bit of length, but my ends always looked and felt good.

Type
    2a/M/ii

I am a great believe in 'listening' to your hair. I don't set a strict time that I have to get my hair trimmed. I'd much rather get it trimmed when I thinks it needs thickened up at the ends! The last time I had a trim was August and I'm thinking about another one soon.

Agressively friendly. MadPirateBippy's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

I am lazy. I have not trimmed in months.