Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Trimming only once a year?

Length
    18"/35"/TB+
    Type
    2a/M/ii

The longest I've gone between trims is 14 months. I think it depends completely on what your hair needs; only trim if you need to basically! It took me a long time to get out of the routine of monthly trimming. I was convinced I'd get billions of splits if I didn't, and felt very very conscious of how my hair looked when I tried to go longer. Going a over a year without a trim was a real learning curve for me - proved it was possible! I didn't get loads of splits, barely any, and the ones I had didn't "travel all the way up". The worst that happen was my ends got quite dry, and that just meant I treated them extra-nice. Sorted.
    It's just a case of being nice to your hair, and keeping an ear out for what it needs. I think

Friend of the Semicolon florenonite's Avatar
    Length
    SL/MBL/Hip
    Type
    2a/F/iii

I've gone from February to December without cutting on fine hair and it looked fine. I went from either the summer I was eight or the summer I was nine to the spring I was eleven without cutting and had major fairytale ends, but not nice ones, yucky ones. I'm aiming for a year, as my hair seems fine right now. I wear it up a lot of the time, though, so it doesn't get a lot of handling.
    Lady Nehalennia of the Mirrored-Seas in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

SL / APL / SBL / MBL / WL / HIP / BCL / TB

Length
    13/37/32
    Type
    2a/M/ii

To be honest I've never had a "trim". I've always had haircut, which means at least 3 - 4 inches taken off. My last haircut was Aug. 2004 to a bob. I've been growing since then. So it's been like 3 years and 7 months with no cuts and my hair (virgin) is smooth and healthy with no splits. It's got fairytale ends of course but I'm OK with that. So easy to tuck into updos. I'm sure if you trim yearly you can even maintain a blunt end.

Length
    1/class/?
    Type
    1a/M/ii

I used to have one cut per year until about hip-length and I always had a blunt cut. There have been no problems with this, but my hair does not tend to have split ends and I never used chemical dye or bleach.
    Past hip-length I prefer to do small trims every other month, to keep the hemline in a hmm "not too fairytailed" condition. I like it better to trim small amounts more often, keep my hair healthy all the time and grow slow but constantly, than to grow fast the whole year and then loose maybe 10cm in one big cut.

Humanist/Procrastinatrix chloeishere's Avatar
    Length
    16nck/~BSL/here!
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

I've gone something like 3-4 years without trims (virgin hair)-- I grew from shoulder to hip (when I was pretty young, I reached hip at 16ish), and I mean, NO TRIMS. I didn't S & D (didn't know about it then), didn't trim off here and there, I did diddly squat to my hair-- just washed, conditioned, and kept it in a ponytail most of the time. I have one picture of my hair from that time, right before I cut it all off to shoulder length.

(I had to go back in my photobucket quite a bit to find that, so I'm not going to bother finding the cropped version).
    I have trouble telling, but my ends had a little fairytaling (I think, don't remember from back then), but were mostly pretty thick, and in a natural U shape. I got a lot of compliments.

I'm not prone to split ends, though. I S & Ded regularly for a while, but it's not too necessary-- I was mostly just cutting out hairs that were bent at a 90 degree angle-- I maybe found 1-2 splits per session. And this is with ends that were colored, and then color-fixed, so I was probably much less prone then. However, in both cases I don't blow-dry, flat-iron, or heat style in any way. I've never been very good about fussing with my hair.
    As of right now, I'm planning about trimming about once a year or so-- I am waiting to get to BSL before I start trimming again. The last time I cut my hair-- to get rid of some really hideous layering that was growing out-- was well before I found LHC, I think it was about May- June 2007. I'm a few inches from APL right now, so it might be more than a year, total, until I trim. I do eventually want to get rid of all my layers, and get rid of all the hair that was colored.

And yes, I'm also an old "no trims, just get hair-cuts" person. I'm trying to change that, since I think my hair will look at feel better with somewhat-regular trims, even if it is only once a year.

Length
    28"/42.5"/48"
    Type
    3c/M/C/iii

I haven't trimmed my hair in almost 3 years, and I only S&D once every 3 months or so, so it's probably about time. . . maybe I'll get around to it in May, but maybe not. I'm lazy like that.
    Lady Starr Weaver of the Celestial Heavens in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    3b, M/C, iii, 40"
    Straightened length with fairy tale ends in siggie pic

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

upto last December i went 2 years without cutting, my hairs all virgin now i plan to cut twice a year but only to make it look tidier.
    Buzz October 2015 to get rid of bendigo and lots of other damage, now Al natural and loving it....where will my journey end? I will tell you when I get there. Lifelong Co washer and LOC method currentl approaching curly hip

Length
    Pixie/46.90/Even
    Type
    2a/M/C/ii/iii

When I first started growing my hair I waited 2 years befor I trimmed anything off. My hair did just fine. I have had another trim after one more year. I think my hair is healthy but my ends could be healthier. It's a matter of choice I guess... I want lenght as fast as possible, so I adoid trims at all costs.
    Little Bird... Where will the future lead my hair?...
    Growing long hair since September 2004
    My Hair Site - My Pictures - My Songs

Length
    long/55.5/long
    Type
    2c/C/iii

Until two years ago I was growing without trims and I went trim/cut free for five years. It took me from mid-back to mid-thigh. Than my ends got too thin and tangly and I had to cut a lot to save. Now I trim every three months,it seems necessary for me if I want to keep growing but ofcourse I always am on the no-trim side hehe I love the look and the thought of abandoned hair. I think I'll leave it alone once I reach knees.

ETA: We have a member Catia who has never cut her hair and it's 85" past floor. Her hair is the true virgin one I guess.
    Last edited by zift; March 10th, 2008 at 05:43 PM.

I am currently at 11 months without trimming and feel my hair is in pretty good condition. I have been S&Ding though. I think I may try and go through the summer also - though I think I will review how I feel my hair is doing on a monthly basis and trim sooner if I feel it needs it.