Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So I Bought a Can of Coconut Milk...

Length
    pixie/waist/clssc
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Default So I Bought a Can of Coconut Milk...

My appologies if this is not is the right forum, I didn't know where to put it. More appologies if this has already been asked to death.
    So anyway, I bought a can of coconut milk, Thai Kitchen brand, it was so not what I was expecting. About 3/4 of the can is solid, like the consistency of cake frosting, the other third is a thickish cloudy liquid that is very slippery feeling, almost like oil, but not, it washes off my finger under running water with no residue left. At the moment I have them seperated in two containers in the fridge.
    I am completly confused.
    Is this how its suppose to be? (never bought coconut milk before) Do I mix it togethor or do I have two nifty hair care products in one can? (if my hair likes it at all that is)
    I need newbie to coconut milk help!

Length
    26/27-30/??
    Type
    2b/F/i/ii

Default Re: So I Bought a Can of Coconut Milk...

Yes, that's how it supposed to be, and just go ahead an stir it up before you use it.

Length
    Chin/APL/Waist
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/iii

Also next time shake very well before opening as that usually prevents it.

Length
    pixie/waist/clssc
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Thanks for the replies, I will mix them!
    *hides disappointment upon not finding really cool can of coconut milk*

Length
    APL/TB/TB
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by trillcat View Post
    Thanks for the replies, I will mix them!
    *hides disappointment upon not finding really cool can of coconut milk*
    Your can of coconut milk is plenty cool. It's supposed to separate, that's why it's recommended to shake the can before opening. Stirring does the same thing, but shaking's easier.

Length
    pixie/waist/clssc
    Type
    1c/F/ii

I did shake it up really good before I opened it, but it still came out like that, mostly solid with a little liquid.
    All mixed now, this is some thick stuff! I was expecting, well, a milk like consistency, its all good. Well, my hair's opinion is yet to be seen, I plan on putting it on tomorrow, but I just had to open the can today to check it out, l have no restraint what so ever.

Length
    3"/APL/Butt
    Type
    3a/3b/F/i

oh kool yeah let us know how it goes, I'm planning on buying coconut milk soon too, I probably would have freaked if I opened it up and it was like that because I've never seen coconut milk and I also thought it would have been more of a liquid. Now I know what to expect
    The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Length
    pixie/waist/clssc
    Type
    1c/F/ii

As requested, here is my update.
    I let the milk come to room temp. from the fridge, put a bowl in the sink to catch drips and started to apply on my dry hair from the ends up, it was thick enough I could pour it in my hand and apply like that. Well, that wasn't working too well, it became a thicker texture once on my hair that wasn't easy to distribute, so I warmed it up slightly in the smaller bowl it was in so it was a bit thinner and just gathered up all my hair and dunked it in the bowl. Much easier, though more messy.
    So once all on, (I went all the way to my scalp), I put a shower cap over it and a warm towel and sat on the couch to veg out and let it sit for an hour. Vegged out a little too much and took an unintentional nap (Whoops! Darn afternoon sleepies, lol) and it ended up soaking on my hair about 3 hours.
    When I rinsed it off, it was just a horrible texture, like wet wax coated straw. I read to shampoo it off, but I was afraid to with the texture it was, and I am a CO gal anyway, so I just went for my conditioner (VO5 Tea Therapy). As soon as the conditioner hit my hair it changed texture immediately, from waxy hay to super soft! I mean instantly, eye blink fast, it was really odd! I left that on for a half hour and rinsed off.
    The result after air drying, super, super soft hair! Baby hair soft. Shocking soft. Softer than I have felt my hair in a long time! So soft it was almost floating in the air instead of hanging down my back. Did I mention it was soft?
    Nice shine to it as well and It didn't leave any greasyness on my hair despite not using shampoo to remove it, though my hair is very dry and drinks up any oils I put on it. It was very flyaway though, very.
    Today it has lost some of that super softness, but is still very nice. It is also behaving better, no more flyaways. I keep playing with it not believing my poor bleach damaged hair could be this soft without cones!
    A total success for me, I plan on this being my new weekly DT. Yay for coconut milk!
    Also, it is quite yummy in an ice coffee with some chocolate syrup added as well. Not exactly a diet drink though!

Sorry about the long post, I tend to ramble.

Length
    Chin/Apl+/Hip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Thanks for the update. I have 2 cans that have been waiting for ove ra year to be used. I may try this today or tommorrow
    Starting over current length: APL+.. GOAL: BACK TO HIP

Persistent Procrastinator teela1978's Avatar
    Length
    19/34/36
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

I often buy the 'lite' coconut milk because it has less oil and doesn't separate as much. It's worse in the winter, in the summer its all melted down and not so separated

ETA: and I LOVE it in coffee. Haven't done a coconut milk treatment in a while, maybe I should just for the leftovers.