Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Scientists call for hair extensions to be banned in the UK

Length
    0.5/53/60+
    Type
    2a/2b/C/iii

Default Scientists call for hair extensions to be banned in the UK

I just saw a link on the BBC website which said that and obviously I had to look at it

http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/hi/he...0/10056867.stm

Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Scientists call for hair extensions to be banned in the UK

TBH, I totally agree with this call. Especially around here it is awful how many girls wear these unprofessional extensions. Some can even be bought for home-use (not the clip-in ones but the real ones you melt into the hair). I have only recently seen a girl in a shop, who bought extensions because hers had come out. Her natural hair was terrible! It was all uneven in lengths and badly felted - because obviously combing is not easy with these extensions in - plus her natural hair was all dull and broken off. This sight made my eyes water. Ok, I am obsessed with my hair but how could you do this to your hair and scalp?
    On many other occasions I have seen women/girls with extensions which did not match their original colours, with extensions where you could see the cluey bits through the ladies' natural hair. Awful.
    If you want to have them done, do it, but please leave it to a professional !

Length
    ?/26/30++
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

IF it only applies to glue in ones, why not!

I just braided a strand of fake blue hair into my short wispy nape hairs and am LOVING it (see old pics of these extensions in my album). I am personally a huge fan of non damaging braid- or clip-in extensions!
    Feb 2013, solid BSL again but shedding. Wondering if this is really terminal length. Hairtype 1b/2b, F/M, ii

Can't keep away, it seems Unofficial_Rose's Avatar
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I think the article is right. I had some expensive bonded-in ones and they pulled out about a third of my hair from the root in 3 weeks. And i don't have weakly-rooted hair, and I went to somewhere very reputable. Luckily my hair recovered, but it took about a year.

I think they have a point re the tight braids and cornrows. I've known people with LARGE amounts of scalp showing who have been wearing cornrows for years.

Length
    16"/22"/30"
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

That aricle had me thinking of Naomi Campbells recent-ish balding patch along her hairline. Proof that continuous harsh treatment severely damages the hair.
    ...The world is my oyster and I am its pearl...

The Last Hairbender Dreams_in_Pink's Avatar
    Length
    pob/Hip/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/C/ii/iii

I lived with this kind of extensions for a month. And yes, it'd be awesome if they were banned, cause it's no fun to have a bazillion metal clips poking your scalp and continuously snagging >_< I'm glad i took them out before it gave me permanent bald spots.

Length
    35cm/86cm/100cm
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

I don't see how banning won't push it underground so people will be trying to glue extensions in their house. Education and then let people decide for themselves seems to me a better answer. By all means have some nice before and after pictures of what they can do to you.
    "I can't stand makeup commercials. 'do you need lipstick that keeps your lips kissable?' no, I need lipstick that gets me equal pay for equal work. How about eye shadow that makes me stop thinking I'm too fat? Maria bamford" Conefree Conditioners in Oz

Account Closed by Member Request

I personally think this kind of harsh treatment is damaging, I also think that people have a right to make those choices, I think each shop should have a warning sign visible to all customers, much like the Surgeon Generals warning on cigarettes, and if they choose to go forth and their hair and scalp end up damaged, they should not be allowed to sue the salon or hairdreser.

We all make choices, if we allow others to take those choices away, we are giving up our freedom. Even if these choices hurt us, we should be allowed the option, free will.... if you will.

The only downside I can see is that if they are banned then our members will be accused of wearing illegal hair extensions!!!

Length
    long/term/term
    Type
    1a/F/M/i/ii

Maybe next they will outlaw dye, bleach, setting lotions, permanent waves, pony elastics, various barrettes and other hair treatments and toys - those are damaging too - along with tight braids. How about teasing/backcombing?

Is that really a road we want to travel? Sigh.