Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How do you deal with the new growth 'halo'?

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: How do you deal with the new growth 'halo'?

I use Natures Gate Styling Putty. A little goes a long way, and it works great. And bonus - you can comb through it later.

Length
    Ear/Chin/CL
    Type
    3a/3b/C/iii

I know what you mean. I have a lot of new growth and I find I look silly with it sticking up every which-way. What I do is bobby pin the new growth. I take oils and give it a good bit and the just pin into place. It can be annoying, but it works for me and I look at it, as an intermediate step until further length is gained so it stays is updos.

Hope this helps.
    3a-3b/C/iii
    (Ear)-Chin-SL-CBL-APL-MBL-WL-HL-TBL-CL
    Lady Addance of the Insightful Mind in the Order of the Longhaired Knights!

Length
    12"/42"/Term!
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii/iii

a couple of months ago i had very little halo, but i've been using a new conditioner (garnier fructis triple nutrition) and lately i've been having major halo! i mean, troll-doll-like halo, of handfuls of hair that are over 4" long!

i find that using a sleeping cap greatly reduces my halo--i've just been falling into bed and crashing lately, so i've been negligent. my cap is actually a pair of pantyhose very silky and comfortably snug...

a while back i was experimenting with fabric softener as a conditioner and i had ZERO halo! i keep forgetting to try it again though...aaarggh...pics of halo/no halo:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...p?albumid=4459

i read on another halo thread that pulling your hair back into a half-up while it's drying is helpful. i tried it once or twice & it worked...again, i just keep forgetting!

good luck!
    Last edited by piratejenny23; February 4th, 2010 at 08:26 PM. Reason: add link to album
    River, honey? He's putting the hair away now.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Shea butter conditioning cream (see the Recipes) slicks baby hairs down REALLY well. Might be too greasy-looking, though.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    15/26/49
    Type
    3a/M/iii

Since no one has suggested it, perhaps a heavier oil like olive oil might work?

Length
    Pixie/APL/TB
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/iii

Well, I tried a heavy oiling yesterday with olive oil, and all it did was make the little wispy hairs (along with the rest of it!) look heavy and greasy. And they still stuck out. And it took 2 CO washings to get it all out. Blah. I think I'll try to find the Nature's Gate styling putty that Spidermom was talking about...maybe its heavy enough to keep them under control. Thanks, everyone, for your great ideas!
    Lady Tialoc of the Nourishing Waters in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Type
    2c/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by squidgetroo View Post
    Well, I tried a heavy oiling yesterday with olive oil, and all it did was make the little wispy hairs (along with the rest of it!) look heavy and greasy. And they still stuck out. And it took 2 CO washings to get it all out. Blah.
    Yep, that's what happens when I oil those wispies. I use a plastic head band that goes all of the way over your head, like an Alice band. It keeps the crazy hairs down and adds kind of a Greek goddess look, and we can all use that, right? No one has mentioned a cone serum (unless I missed it in my skim); sometimes if you're really desperate and don't want to use a head band, that works.