Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you deal with the new growth 'halo'?

Length
    sl/waist/~
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

Default Re: How do you deal with the new growth 'halo'?

I just ignore it
    Otherwise, I find if I add oil to the halo, it just contributes to my hair looking greasier faster . . .
    I like the scarf suggestion, though! Try not to be too frustrated -- it'll grow

Length
    ears/?/long
    Type
    2b/F/i

I have that halo around my hair. I have just been wetting my hands and wiping them over my head. However, I kind of like the look of my halo. I have never had one before.

Length
    Pixie/APL/TB
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by jaine View Post
    What steps did you follow with the gel? If I comb my hair while it's wet with gel in it, and then let it air dry, that works really well to get all of my hairs lying in the same direction. If I skip the combing, everything still goes in different directions after it dries.
    Was it a hard-hold gel?
    I did basically the same thing...added gel to wet hair, combed it through with a wide-tooth comb, then braided. It looked good while it was still damp, but as soon as it was all dry, the little curls just sprung out same as always, only this time they were crunchy. I just used Suave gel...I think it was extra hold. Already threw out the bottle so I can't check.
    Lady Tialoc of the Nourishing Waters in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    10/53/30
    Type
    3a/M/C/ii/iii

Honestly, I can't do anything about it. Softer gels like aloe do not do anything for frizz or new growth. Hard hold gels help a tiny bit, but only if I use so much gel that my hair gets crunchy. So I just put my hair up and hope the halo doesn't decide to curl straight out and away from my head that day.
    Please view my dragons
    http://dragcave.net/user/ZaBasDa

Length
    <2"/~clsc/uhh..
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

If I need to try and lessen the halo effect I use aloe vera gel. Unfortunately my halo is permanent so, well, I just grin and bear it. Might as well be as comfortable in my own skin as possible!

Length
    ?/26/30++
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Aloe does nothing for me. If I really want my hair to be smooth, I wait until it is 'dirty' (days 3-4 after washing), brush it smooth, then wet it and put some gel it in, and smooth it with my hands again. Then I fasten the longest fuzzy bits with bobby pins, a headband, or barrettes.

I am regrowing what I lost after giving birth. My ends are super thin (I seem to have natural taper which leads to very thin fairy tale ends, no matter how much I trim) and my crown very thick and fluffy and frizzy. Lately I have been washing with 'cones, as this tames the frizz a bit. Though it does straighten my hair out, having hair that looks a bit tidier is worth losing the spirals.

At the moment I prefer to wear my hair down but with the top in a half up. The extra fuzz at the top contributes to more volume at the crown, and if my hair is freshly washed I can comb the length and put gel in it to make it hang better. I'm hoping that it looks like my taper is on purpose - 'layered' - but fear it too often looks ratty or like I need to cut.

Other than that I focus on messy updos, since they can look nice and seem like I 'did it on purpose.' The only other solution, really, seems to be to just wait...and I am hoping the severe difference will be gone in a few years!
    Feb 2013, solid BSL again but shedding. Wondering if this is really terminal length. Hairtype 1b/2b, F/M, ii

Length
    22/22/hmm
    Type
    2c/F/ii

I have so many baby hairs that I've been using bobby pins to hold them down. It gives me a sort of tight-bunned "ballet class" look which I'd rather avoid, though

I'm going to give aloe gel a try

Length
    Pixie/APL/TB
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Katze View Post
    I am regrowing what I lost after giving birth.
    This is basically what happened to me. The sucky part is that my 'baby' is now 2 1/2 years old. After my oldest I also shed a huge amount and it took several years to get back to normal. I literally lost almost half of my volume both times. Good thing I have a lot of hair to start with! I've also been taking biotin for the last several months and I think that's what's contributing to the massive re-growth.

I think your hair is lovely. As is the draftie on your profile page! Is it a friesian? Or perhaps a perch/friesian cross?
    Last edited by squidgetroo; February 3rd, 2010 at 06:38 AM.
    Lady Tialoc of the Nourishing Waters in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    19/30/36
    Type
    1a/F/ii

I've learned to love my little halo hairs. Nothing wrong with them at all.

If you're really bothered, I, like others, suggest a bit of aloe gel.

Length
    16"/22"/30"
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

I always seem to have a halo around the face, but it doesn't bother me.

Although in the past few weeks I've been getting a serious all-over halo which I have been taming by wearing headbands. It doesn't sit them all down, but it draws the attention away while they grow beyond the sticky-up phase.
    Last edited by Liss; February 3rd, 2010 at 06:45 AM. Reason: typo
    ...The world is my oyster and I am its pearl...