Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some suggestions, please

Length
    bald/shldr/term.
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Default Need some suggestions, please

I am growing out from a pixie.

I had gotten my hair out to about APL at the beginning of 2009, but in a moment of temporary insanity, thought it would be a good idea to color my hair with chemical color over henna. Big mistake. My ends, which had been fragile under the best of circumstances, were now fried.

In Feb. of last year, I had my hair cut to a shoulder-length bob, which got rid of most of the end damage. However, I still had several inches of the chemical-over-henna, and the damage eventually came back and made my ends velcro. Last April, I went in and had my stylist cut off as much color as she could, giving me the pixie that I'm currently growing out.

My hair is how brushing my shoulders in back but chin-length in front. A mullet-gone-to-seed, you might say. The condition of my hair is better than it's been since I put chemicals on it for the first time after chemo, back in 2006. I have lots of waves and curl on the ends in back. Lovely spiral curls. But I do not like this mullet!

I'm thinking of going to my stylist and having her even it up, cutting the back closer to the length of the front, giving long layers throughout, doing a dusting on the front layers and cutting bangs to about mid-eye and letting that grow out. I may keep bangs for the time being, trimming myself as the need arises.

Thoughts? I'm really tired of the mullet look and having my hair fall into my eyes. I don't feel pretty at all.

ETA: I will try to post pictures later on, if necessary. I'd rather not, though, if I can avoid it.

Back to shoulder-length again! Yippee!

Length
    bald/shldr/term.
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: Need some suggestions, please

Anyone???? Please????

Back to shoulder-length again! Yippee!

Type
    1c/F/i/ii

To be honest I'd say if you're really not enjoying your hair the way it is at the moment and it's affecting your self confidence then get it evened up. Of course this means you'll lose some length for now, but if it makes you feel happier whilst you're growing it then I'd say it's totally worth it myself.

As long as this isn't just a moment of madness on a bad day, and you don't think in reality you'd regret the decision to have it tidied up, it's probably a good idea.

Your hair is to be enjoyed, right?

Length
    12/48/term
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

I'd say do what would make you happy. And if evening it up will make you happy, find a trusted stylist; who will only cut off how much you want.

But really my hair grew the fastest when I just left it. Let it do it's own thing and grow. BUT don't sacrifice your happiness. If even ends are a concern to you, you will need to trim atleast a couple times a year probably; considering different hairs grow at different speeds.
    Hippie at Heart

Length
    bob/WL+/WL+
    Type
    1b/F/M/iii

I agree with the other posters: If it's really bothering you and effecting your confidence, cut. Maybe follow the 2-week rule, though.

Everyone hates growing out haircuts. You could just experiment With some different styles while waiting. Little front braids and clips are good for pulling back layers. Or you could just wear it up and then it won't bother you at all.

Length
    1"/SL/BSL
    Type
    1b/F/M/i/ii

man, it seems like there are SO MANY people on the board with this dilemma!

as one who went through a very similar process (chemical haircuts to pixie to mullet) i feel yr pain.

personally, i waited until my sides were an acceptable length (past ears/jaw) and then had the stylist match the back to the sides. this way, at least my hair LOOKED intentional, you know?

and like so many are saying, if getting a lil cut makes you love yr hair, then go for it! what's the fun in hating something about yrself? and i say, really enjoy the salon experience- who knows, it may be the very last time you step foot in one! pretend yr in a makeover montage in a movie or something

Length
    pixie/BSL/waist
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Oh man I hated this stage... I felt like there was nothing I could do to look pretty and mostly wore my hair in weird, stubby pigtails. I would have dreams where my hair was long again and wake up feeling very depressed about my appearance. The thing that returned my sanity was just covering up my hair until the shortest bit was chin length and then cutting it into an A-line bob. This looked a lot smoother and made me feel girly again. I bought a lot of hats during this time period...

Account Closed by Member Request

Yes, I think getting something like a layered bob would be a great idea; it would even it up, and ensure that it will grow out looking even. I've never really liked bangs, but that's irrelevant, if you like them, then go for them!

Length
    pixie/bsl/waist
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

I think the cut you described sounds like it would grow out gracefully, and if you will feel prettier then it's worth it!

For myself, I want to have a V-shape or U-shape hemline when it's longer so I plan to keep my sides a little shorter than the back; I think that will end up being less cutting for me later to reshape it.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

When I was growing out from short, I got a trim every 6-8 weeks. My stylist never cut much off, but it looked like I had some sort of style most of the time instead of a growing out mess. I think I'd do it the same way if I had to do it all over again. Do what it takes to feel pretty, or at least somewhat pulled together.