Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is there a non damaging way to lighten dyed hair?

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Is there a non damaging way to lighten dyed hair?

Quote Originally Posted by manderly View Post
    FYI, my hair has been coloroopsed and then dyed to a color close to my natural color. I've dyed several times as hairdye eventually fades and gets kind of orange near the ends. You can see my avatar, siggy, and profile pic that my hair looks pretty normal. No two tone (nothing beyond natural at least) and pretty undamaged.

Take that info for what its worth.
    i always thought that was virgin hair and i agree stripping does turn hair orange!
    Buzz October 2015 to get rid of bendigo and lots of other damage, now Al natural and loving it....where will my journey end? I will tell you when I get there. Lifelong Co washer and LOC method currentl approaching curly hip

Length
    12/22.5/30
    Type
    2a/F/ii

I was in your situation, but I'm ashamed to say that in the end I resorted to a combination of bleaching, cutting, and walking around for a good year with rainbow hair. I lost a great deal of length and thickness; I went from mid-back to shoulder and then several months later I went from APL back to shoulder to tidy up the ends and get rid of the last of the damage.

If you do decide to do some lightening but are unwilling to sport tri-color hair until it grows out, I personally recommend 'Jazzing' temporary hair dye I've had great luck with it, and it's very gentle on hair and can be used immediately after bleaching or relaxing. (There's no peroxide or developer in it, it's deposit only.)

Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

The Color Works might work, but be sure to have a new color ready to apply afterwards. It will be orange and you need to tone it after. I have used Color Works before and it didnt do any long term damage to my hair. It was a little dry afterwards but with two processes that was to be expected. You could go to Robert Craigs website and get advice about Color Works and what tone of color to apply afterwards. Even if you dont buy the products from them they are very knowledgable and are suppose to be professionals.

Length
    Nape/Waist/Waist
    Type
    3a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    i always thought that was virgin hair and i agree stripping does turn hair orange!
    Thanks! But no, the color removers don't turn hair orange, they reveal they hair that was bleached by the hair dye prior to depositing its color Hair dye works like this: bleach and lift existing color, deposit new dye molecules into vacant space left in hair shaft. Color removers swell up the color molecules, releasing them from the hair shaft, so the user is left with the bleached and swiss-cheesy hair, hence the need for a protein filler/DT/and another deposit of color

try colorfix.
    it worked for me.
    find it at sallys beauty

Account Closed by Member Request

Lemon juice?
    Honey?
    Sunlight?
    Hydrogen Peroxide? Although it may be damaging.

~Blonde to the Bone~ Shermie Girl's Avatar
    Length
    Too/Effin/Short
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii/iii

I would try strand testing ColorFix. That will probably be your best chance to get the black dye out of your hair. After your initial test, let it sit around for a day or three to see if it darkens, again. If it does, you will have to repeat the strand test.

Once the strand test is lightened to your satisfaction, it will most likely be a red/orangish colour. That is from the peroxide in your hair dye lifting your natural or previous colour to deposit the black toner. You will have to colour your newly lifted hair. I agree with Manderly, you will probably benefit from using a filler prior to colouring. Save the strand test to test the new, blonde colour. You will want to see how your new colour looks on previously processed hair.

Watch and note your timing during your strand tests, you are going to need that information when you do your whole head.

Have fun and I hope that it all works out for you. And don't forget to post pics.
    Last edited by Shermie Girl; January 29th, 2010 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Sentences begin with capital letters.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro (I Came, I Saw, I Stuck Around)
    Proud Bottle Blonde!

Length
    14.5"/19.5"/30"
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Color Oops is known to leave your hair orangey. If you try this option, you will probably need to dye over it or at least use a toner. I would recommend letting your roots grow out. The black color will probably fade a little bit over time. I would also deep condition regularly and possibly see a good hair colorist who would be able to do a corrective coloring process.

Length
    23/32/term
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Good luck to you. I know the horrors of trying to get black hair blonde and it was no fun at all. I wasn't even trying to dye my whole head.

I hope you don't have to resort to bleach. I'm not sure the honey will work because it is a very mild bleaching method, but it wouldn't hurt.

Maybe just learn to live with darker hair for a while and let it grow out naturally.