Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can Manic Panic dye go bad/expire? ASAP URGENT!

Length
    pixie/BSL/waist
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Default Can Manic Panic dye go bad/expire? ASAP URGENT!

so I was just cleaning out the bathroom closet and I found an old, old, old jar of Manic Panic Wildfire dye. There is about half of the jar left. My mom and I did the math and this dye is around 5 YEARS OLD.

I have a batch of henna dye releasing in the kitchen to apply tonight and I've always wanted to try mixing Manic Panic with henna. Is it safe to use my 5 year old MP? Or is that a really, really, really bad idea?

forever waffling between conventional and herbal haircare
    dying roots black with Wella Semi-permanent dye, very occasional heat styling
    currently BSL / 1st goal waist / 1C/m/ii / forever fighting frizz

≈ωаѵєs оŋ τнє оcєаŋ≈ xoxophelia's Avatar
    Length
    26"/35"/waist
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Can Manic Panic dye go bad/expire? ASAP URGENT!

Sadly, I think if you want to do a sudden change in unchartered territory it is best to do a strand test first.

That way you aren't stuck with anything you won't want to live with. And, as far as I know, what will happen with old dye is that it just won't work as well. Just like if you leave Hydrogen Peroxide sitting in your counter for ages, after years and years it will become less effective.

But don't take my word for it because I am not 100% sure. Do a strand test and see how it goes.

~~embracing nature's waves~~
    instagram: monophonatic

Length
    pixie/BSL/waist
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by xoxophelia View Post
    Sadly, I think if you want to do a sudden change in unchartered territory it is best to do a strand test first.

That way you aren't stuck with anything you won't want to live with. And, as far as I know, what will happen with old dye is that it just won't work as well. Just like if you leave Hydrogen Peroxide sitting in your counter for ages, after years and years it will become less effective.

But don't take my word for it because I am not 100% sure. Do a strand test and see how it goes.
    The logical person in me totally agrees with you.... strand tests are good and smart and you should never put anything on your head without one!

But the henna addict in me is going "but I want it nowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!"

I have enough henna in this batch for 2 hennas (I like to mix up big batches and freeze them) so I think what I will do is just a normal henna right now and probably go get a not-ancient jar of MP to use with my second henna.

Maybe....

Length
    26"/28"/40"
    Type
    2b/F/iii

I think the worst that could happen is that it might fade quicker. Sniff it to check it doesn't have a funky smell, perhaps. I'd just go ahead and colour it, but -WARNING- I'm the type of person who does odd things to her hair and deals with any regret later Since it's wildfire it's less prone to fading then many of their other colours.

Length
    pixie/BSL/waist
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvanas View Post
    I think the worst that could happen is that it might fade quicker. Sniff it to check it doesn't have a funky smell, perhaps. I'd just go ahead and colour it, but -WARNING- I'm the type of person who does odd things to her hair and deal with any regret later Since it's wildfire it's less prone to fading then many of their other colours.
    it smells like.... hair dye? haha. It smells vaguely plastic-y, and kind of paint-y, but the smell isn't very strong. I don't really remember what it's SUPPOSED to smell like.

Length
    26"/28"/40"
    Type
    2b/F/iii

That sounds like the normal smell to me Hey, I drank milk that had gone bad the other day, and I'm still alive. Ok, that wasn't on purpose but still!

i dont think so, if it was closed tightly, mix it up and smell it

Resident metalhead RavennaNight's Avatar
    Length
    bob/35/Term
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii/iii

Does it smell like acrylic paint? Because that is what mine smelled like. No other advice. My MP experiment was ill-fated.

Last of the Brunnen-G kwaniesiam's Avatar
    Length
    bald/mop/long!
    Type
    2b/2c/F/i/ii

It won't harm your hair. The worst that will happen is that the color won't take at all, or fade even quicker. It's worth a try though.
    Your neighborhood LHC-friendly hair stylist Anyone is always free to PM me if they have any questions they think I might be able to help with, hair or otherwise!

Length
    24"/28"/39"
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I totally can't wait to see the results of this very intriguing thread.
    Lover of fountain pens and disabled kitties.

RIP my sweet Jilly-bean. Your momma misses you.