Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do you do when your hair is soaking wet

Length
    Nape/Waist/Waist
    Type
    3a/M/ii/iii

Default Re: What do you do when your hair is soaking wet

Do you use conditioner? Combing should be pretty darn easy when your hair is slathered in it. Plus it'll help with your moisture issue.

Length
    17"/29"/35"
    Type
    3a/F/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by manderly View Post
    Do you use conditioner? Combing should be pretty darn easy when your hair is slathered in it. Plus it'll help with your moisture issue.
    Oh yeah...lot's of conditioner...I have a TON of hair and is very curly and thick. My issue is getting the conditioner all over. Like if I want it in a certain section...it is difficult to separate in the shower in order to get the conditioner there. It takes a lot to make it slippery. I use GF Triple Nutrition and sometimes I find that I still need to occasionally use cones to get it slippy enough to comb from root to tip. The most tangly part is the canopy and that is the driest part and it may take me months of really really good and over moisturizing treatments to get it normal. Even the parts around the sides in the front that are finer and hand quite a bit straighter than the rest, they tend to tangle quite a bit too!

Length
    Nape/Waist/Waist
    Type
    3a/M/ii/iii

Wow that's a lot of hair

Have you tried Biolage conditioning balm? I keep it in my shower and use that to detangle. I actually just washed yesterday after leaving my hair in the same bun (seriously, I didn't touch it) since Sunday. I wet, put a gob in, smooshed it until I was satisfied and then started combing with my denman knockoff from the bottom. Oh I also love that denman in the shower because it gets rid of all my sheds in big gobs. Helps cut down on the regular daily shedding when I work most of it out in the shower.

Do you think your problem may be cones and buildup? I don't know what you've tried so sorry if I'm just repeating things.

I don't comb until the second day after a wash, and sometimes not even then. When I get out of the shower, I (gently!) pat dry the hair with a microfiber towel. I either plop or wrap my hair in the towel for about 20 minutes to absorb extra water, and then put some oil and maybe aloe vera juice on the last few inches. That's all. It usually air-dries to a nice, non-frizzy curl, especially if I can keep myself from playing with it. I will fluff it up at the roots occasionally just to make sure it doesn't dry flat.

I experimented with leave-ins for a few years. The best product was Nexxus leave-in humectant conditioner, although I've had trouble finding it since. They might have discontinued it. VO5's leave-in worked okay, though the cheap smell bothered me. The last product I used before I went all-natural was Mop leave-in. I don't know if it was the leave-in or my shampoo/conditioner combo that did it, but my hair got so dry that I gave up commercial products altogether.

Length
    17"/29"/35"
    Type
    3a/F/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by manderly View Post
    Wow that's a lot of hair

Have you tried Biolage conditioning balm? I keep it in my shower and use that to detangle. I actually just washed yesterday after leaving my hair in the same bun (seriously, I didn't touch it) since Sunday. I wet, put a gob in, smooshed it until I was satisfied and then started combing with my denman knockoff from the bottom. Oh I also love that denman in the shower because it gets rid of all my sheds in big gobs. Helps cut down on the regular daily shedding when I work most of it out in the shower.

Do you think your problem may be cones and buildup? I don't know what you've tried so sorry if I'm just repeating things.
    No prob, I don't think it was suggested before. But I don't think that is it, I only (like within the past 4-5 months) started using Aussie Moist (cones) again, I have had this tangle issue since I've been wearing it curly again. It's so thick and curly that it is hard to distribute moisture throughout. I've never tried the Biolage stuff...is it pricey? Where do you get it from? Could I find it at Walmart...I'll be heading there on Saturday.

Length
    17"/29"/35"
    Type
    3a/F/M/iii

I wish I could do things like 2nd day hair...LOL!! (my curls laugh) I think I did it once ( not good) it had all just about melded into one huge curl!!lol...I mean I could go to twirl one curl and all of my hair came with that one piece!! Nope I must wet and detangle every day.

Length
    Nape/Waist/Waist
    Type
    3a/M/ii/iii

Walmart may have it. I believe Target does, as do places like Supercuts and stuff. If you have a Sally's nearby they supposedly have an excellent knockoff version.

I think I spent around $24 for a large tub, so it's a little pricey. The knockoff is about half IIRC.

Also if you're not averse to using cones, I find the CHI silk infusion does wonders for tangles in wet or dry hair. I would rather cone my hair up than have it be a tangly mess, causing more damage.

That can also be found at Target. I don't think I saw it at Walmart. Again, expensive, but it comes in a ginormous bottle and since it's a cone serum you only use a tiny dime-like dab so it's bound to last forever.

Length
    17"/29"/35"
    Type
    3a/F/M/iii

I try to not have to use cones every day, although I would rather use cones that do damage with tangles too! I have a little lucky with Aussie Moist I wonder if I should try the shampoo too. I got a coupon for a dollar or something off Aussie and something for Herbal Essences I think I may try some of there finishing products. I have also heard good things about GF Triple Nutrition Deep Treament, I've never used that one but I think maybe I will. Maybe it'll help some with restoring the moisture balance of my hair so that I don't have so many tangles.

Length
    Nape/Waist/Waist
    Type
    3a/M/ii/iii

I use the CHI on top of my leave in, in the theory the cones will help seal in the moisture.....which it actually does. I used to have to wash my hair because the ends got all Barbie-like. Since scrunching the CHI in after my leave in I haven't had to worry since. I don't use it every day, only after I wash, and sometimes I skip that too.

Length
    17"/29"/35"
    Type
    3a/F/M/iii

Or what about Loreal EverStrong...I have a coupn for that too...how is that stuff?