Thread: Does henna really kill lice ?

Length
    19ish/Hip/term.
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i

Default Does henna really kill lice ?

I just found out my almost 9 year old has lice. She had been itching for two weeks, has been checked repeatedly but Dad just found them tonite when they got home. With a 2 day old in the house no less.

I did henna yesterday (4 hours) and the Sunday before (3.5 hours I think). Am I somewhat safe ? I want to go bury my head in coconut oil !!!

*itch itch itch*
    ☼ Lady Saule, Spinner of Sunlight in the Order of Long Haired Knights ☼
    LHC: The Few .. The Proud ..The Vaguely Creepy

Length
    apl/tlb/solid
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/ii/iii

Default Re: Does henna really kill lice ?

To really work to kill lice henna must be mixed with wormwood I have killed lice this way. Smothering with oil for at least eight hours should also work-good luck

i have no idea but I will bump this for you..
    the 2 day old, is it yours?

Length
    19ish/Hip/term.
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i

No, the 2 day old is my ex's new kid with a new girlfriend.

I'm still busy washing everything and soaking up coconut oil. Can't hurt I have been checked though and so far nothing shows up.
    Last edited by ImperfectBrat; January 18th, 2010 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Forgot to add my "lice status"
    ☼ Lady Saule, Spinner of Sunlight in the Order of Long Haired Knights ☼
    LHC: The Few .. The Proud ..The Vaguely Creepy

Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

IMO Henna would kill the lice if they were on your head. Its very grainy and scratches their bodies. There is no need for wormwood as far as I know, the henna should do the job on its own - I am not discounting wormwoods effectiveness or not - as I have no knowledge about it in relation to lice. Salt also does the same thing, scratching the bodies.

Tea tree oil definitely works, either in conditioner or oil. 1 drop of EE to every 4mls, leave it on for 15 minutes. (Don't use EE if pregnant, tea tree can also cause asthma, don't use on children under 2years and always use EE at your own risk and with caution.)

Be aware that Oil and conditioner only stun lice temporarily and you need to remove them manually with a lice comb. Also it is a myth that lice dislike oily hair. The fact is lice like human heads and it doesn't bother them whether your hair is clean, dirty, oily, dry etc. I have seen children from all walks of life with them. Some with the cleanest of clean hair and some with disgustingly dirty hair.

Keep a look out on your daughters head 7 days from now. If there is no reoccurrence than the rest of the family is likely to be fine. Check again at 14 days after which you can be assurred the life cycle is broken - provided you didn't find any at the 7 day mark.

I'm not an expert I just did a lot of reading during a previous experience. I hope that this helps.

Length
    26.5"/46.5"/...."
    Type
    2a/2b/C/ii/iii

I personally would like to try Tea tree oil for head lice, they are back again in my head. Ugh! If it doesn't work then I'd go for henna.

Length
    pixie/pixie/44
    Type
    1a/F/iii

I have used henna to kill lice, and also apple cider vinegar to help unstick the nits. And, well in a pinch I have washed my hair with my cats flea shampoo, highly effective.

*Disclaimer:I am not recommending anyone wash their hair with flea shampoo, this is a personal choice that i made against the directives on the bottle.
    after henna, no 'cones, no sulfates, my hair no longer tries to strangle me in my sleep. I guess we can be friends now.
    Google+

Length
    15.5?/Shldr/30-34
    Type
    1b/1c/F/iii

If it's just the scratching, cassia would work well as well.
    Fast typer.
    I have fine hair that I'm working on growing long!