Thread: Curly with canopy problems

Length
    17"/29"/35"
    Type
    3a/F/M/iii

Default Curly with canopy problems

Ok so this is driving me crazy! I separated my hair into 3's the other day to detangle before the shower, I separated the top canopy part and put it up , the divided the bottom part in half. I got the tangles out well enough but what I notices was even after I totally disrupted the curl pattern the bottom half was still nice looking. Smooth and uniformly wavy like I could actually leave the house with it like that, the canopy on the other hand is scraggly, with mishapen curls and always feels so dry and crispy no matter how much I moisturize. When I got in the shower I managed to get conditioner through it all ok but the bottom part felt like seaweed while the canopy still feels rough. I even used so cone conditioner on the canopy which did make it feel a little better.

Another problem is strings, I smooth product or leave conditioner on and the top part gives me these crunchy strings. The rest is cool but I get like 3 or 4 strings on the top part.

So my question is, how should I be treating these two portions of hair differently to get better results?

I also get the feeling that the part of the canopy which bothers me most will eventually grow out cause I swear when I pics of me as a toddler my whole head was silky...so has anyone had experience with growing out a canopy and getting it all healthy looking?

Length
    bob/bob/WST
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/iii

Default Re: Curly with canopy problems

Well I can just say that compared to when I first came here my canopy is MUCH nicer than it was then. There is really no comparison. I think the things that helped are what helps with making your hair more healthy period. I started treating my hair better all around, gentle detangling, less coloring (still highlight regularly), less heat, and less manipulation (I only shampoo once a week usually now). Oh and I am much more careful with hair toys. Not sure if this helps at ALL but definitely deep treatments are a must for us curlies with drier more porous hair. I also smooth coconut or some kind of oil over the canopy fairly often, or I did when I had a lot of dryness. I ALWAYS use a leave-in too and smooth more over the top.

Combing only when wet with CO, Suave conditioner, AG Re:Coil, LA Looks sports gel, EVOO and coconut oil

Length
    17"/29"/35"
    Type
    3a/F/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Curlsgirl View Post
    Well I can just say that compared to when I first came here my canopy is MUCH nicer than it was then. There is really no comparison. I think the things that helped are what helps with making your hair more healthy period. I started treating my hair better all around, gentle detangling, less coloring (still highlight regularly), less heat, and less manipulation (I only shampoo once a week usually now). Oh and I am much more careful with hair toys. Not sure if this helps at ALL but definitely deep treatments are a must for us curlies with drier more porous hair. I also smooth coconut or some kind of oil over the canopy fairly often, or I did when I had a lot of dryness. I ALWAYS use a leave-in too and smooth more over the top.
    Thanks...the rest of my hair feels so healthy, so I think I will do a long DT on just that portion this weekend. I have some Hollywood Beauty Olive Oil Cream and I think I may mix that with a little olive oil, castor oil and coconut oil. Slather it on the canopy and put that part in a bun. Maybe that will help. Also maybe if I do that often enough it will help.

Length
    bob/bob/WST
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyGirl1978@ View Post
    Thanks...the rest of my hair feels so healthy, so I think I will do a long DT on just that portion this weekend. I have some Hollywood Beauty Olive Oil Cream and I think I may mix that with a little olive oil, castor oil and coconut oil. Slather it on the canopy and put that part in a bun. Maybe that will help. Also maybe if I do that often enough it will help.
    Sounds like a great plan! It really helps me to smooth a bit of a favorite oil mix over the canopy lightly too after it's dry.

Combing only when wet with CO, Suave conditioner, AG Re:Coil, LA Looks sports gel, EVOO and coconut oil

Length
    17"/29"/35"
    Type
    3a/F/M/iii

I'm gonna try using Rainbow Henna tomorrow in brown to try and cover the red some if I can. Would it be best to dt before or after the henna?

Length
    17"/29"/35"
    Type
    3a/F/M/iii

Ok, we got a long weekend so I'm gonna experiment. I did notice that the bottom part that is so silky gets a tiny bit rougher towards the ends in one particular spot where there is a shorter layer on top. So that part is exposed to the elements more and therefore dryer. Maybe all along I just should have been moisturizing that part like crazy to make up for the moisture loss. So I mixed up some GF Triple Nutrition with coconut oil, olive oil, castor oil and some Hollywood Beauty Olive oil creme. I sprayed my canopy with a little water and slathered it with my mixture. I'll leave it on about 2 hours and then I'll do the Rainbow Henna...then I think I may DT the canopy again and see how it comes out. Wouldn't it be great if this was all I needed to do to remedy my problem!!lol

I'll keep you posted

Length
    23.5/29/37

Definitely add the olive oil to your DT. I recently started doing this and it makes my hair so much softer and silkier

Length
    3-14i/38/44 in
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

Talking Re: Curly with canopy problems

this happens to me too. lots of moisture and protection is key, i think. do you ever cover your hair when you are in the sun, wind, heat, cold, etc? i think that for me, its the sun that dries up my canopy the most, and although i like the natural highlights it give me, the lightened hairs are noticeably drier and less curly.

doing half ups can let you leave most of your hair down while protecting your canopy, and you can also leave a deep treatment in the canopy part while its bunned up.

i've pretty much accepted my hair as it is, and i now love the straighter pieces just as much as i love the curlier ones, but what i used to do when i wasnt so okay with it is gather the pieces of the canopy that just arent looking right or curly enough and put them in little braids, or, take them and weave them down through the rest of the hair and pin them to your scalp underneath so they are hiding underneath all of the rest of your hair. you might have to practice a little to make it perfect, but i was always really happy with that method when i would do it, like magic, those pieces just werent there anymore!

also, i just discovered this trick recently~ as an extra deep treat, try putting conditioner into your dry hair!
    and have you tried jojoba oil on your canopy? honey has also worked for me.

Length
    17"/29"/35"
    Type
    3a/F/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Curlsgirl View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by camirra555 View Post
    Definitely add the olive oil to your DT. I recently started doing this and it makes my hair so much softer and silkier
    I will be doing that often, from my big DT today, my canopy definitely felt silkier in the shower, now I am waiting for it to dry. I figure I got a lot of catching up to do if all it needed was extra TLC so I thing I will maybe DT every weekend for a while and during the week smooth some coconut oil on that part after my shower.

Length
    17"/29"/35"
    Type
    3a/F/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by inspiral View Post
    this happens to me too. lots of moisture and protection is key, i think. do you ever cover your hair when you are in the sun, wind, heat, cold, etc? i think that for me, its the sun that dries up my canopy the most, and although i like the natural highlights it give me, the lightened hairs are noticeably drier and less curly.

doing half ups can let you leave most of your hair down while protecting your canopy, and you can also leave a deep treatment in the canopy part while its bunned up.

i've pretty much accepted my hair as it is, and i now love the straighter pieces just as much as i love the curlier ones, but what i used to do when i wasnt so okay with it is gather the pieces of the canopy that just arent looking right or curly enough and put them in little braids, or, take them and weave them down through the rest of the hair and pin them to your scalp underneath so they are hiding underneath all of the rest of your hair. you might have to practice a little to make it perfect, but i was always really happy with that method when i would do it, like magic, those pieces just werent there anymore!

also, i just discovered this trick recently~ as an extra deep treat, try putting conditioner into your dry hair!
    and have you tried jojoba oil on your canopy? honey has also worked for me.
    You know, this past winter, I have been wearing the whole thing up more often than not cause I get less tangles when I shower, and since it has been this length it has been easier. But truthfully I prefer to wear it down, especially when the weather is nice and sunny!lol But on the weekends during the day as I go about my day I thing I will do the dt on that part and put it in a half up bun so I can still go out while protecting it.

More moisture and more DT...it'll have to be one of my New Years resolutions.

Thanks