Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wow your hair's so long comment but....

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

Default Wow your hair's so long comment but....

when are you going to cut

I had this comment on the nightshift last night off a short, fully bleached fellow nurse. I had taken my hair down when all the patients where asleep as I was getting a headache and try to put in a lower bun when she made the above comment. I said why would I want to cut it? she replied its much easier my length, so I just said what 1" hair which you have to have the roots done every week or so, you have to style your hair into spikes every morning and thats easy is it? do you know my routine, comb, twist and up it goes, yeah but I bet you use a load of shampoo she replied!

Why do people assume that long hair is hard work when it isn't and how does a long haired person use more shampoo? I dilute mine and a bottle last ages!

It really pissed me off, like why say wow! and then follow by a negative, i am much too nice wish id have said what i really thought of her hair it was totally out of condition, rock hard off products, bleached within a minute of its life and made her look like a toilet brush. dont get me wrong id rather have healthy short hair that frazzled unkept long hair and i am not knocking anybody with short hair but I just wish some people would keep the big fellow out and concentrate on their own hair instead of being so picky about mine, I feel like growing it to ankle now just to really piss her off!!!!!
    sorry for the rant but i so needed too!!!
    Buzz October 2015 to get rid of bendigo and lots of other damage, now Al natural and loving it....where will my journey end? I will tell you when I get there. Lifelong Co washer and LOC method currentl approaching curly hip

Length
    0.5"/21/28
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii/iii

Default Re: Wow your hairs so long comment but....

I get this all the time, it is frustrating! My flatmate always says long hair is too much work for him as he blowdries/straightens/gels and then re-straightens his hair.

She is probably just jealous of your extremely enviable hair! I wouldn't take it personally

I think that people think those with long hair use more shampoo because they think that regardless of the length of hair, you'll shampoo all of it like they do, then condition all of it. They don't realize that you can do other things with it. I was under the same impression before I came here.

Type
    1a/F/ii

I'm sorry you had that irritating conversation. I can totally relate to this rant, so thanks for posting.

Length doesn't correlate exactly to how much care hair takes...people can be silly.

Length
    16"?/29"/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

I've found that people who have never had long hair don't understand it. They make assumptions that it must take a lot of work to care for and style. They've never heard of diluting shampoo. They don't realize how quick and easy our sometimes complicated looking updo's can be. They assume we wash every day, blow dry and use tons of product. Miss Toilet Brush Head should have stopped with the "wow your hair's so long" and left off the "when are you going to cut it" part. I'm glad you stood up for yourself and talked back to her.

I am not here to decorate your world

Length
    16"/26"/tail
    Type
    1b/M/C/iii

"...looks like a toilet brush!" hahahahhahah! That is the part you should remember most about this exchange. She is just another in a long line of beautiful hair envy-ists. The nastier they are, the more you know you're doing the right things.

Mysterious Lady of Mist and Fog in The Order of The Long Haired Knights

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

ha ha! so true people are silly they must think all we do is wash our hair! I actually wash my hair much less when long than i ever did short, bed hair on short hair needs controlling more whereas long bed hair is just a matter of quick comb and up!

She is always sarcastic about stuff, normally it just goes woosh over my head, but i was tired as id done 7 12 hour nights and was feeling a little sensitive!!
    Buzz October 2015 to get rid of bendigo and lots of other damage, now Al natural and loving it....where will my journey end? I will tell you when I get there. Lifelong Co washer and LOC method currentl approaching curly hip

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

For some people, getting a hair cut is on the must-do list: brush teeth, wash face, use deodorant, and schedule a hair cut. I think they come to see it as a matter of hygiene. I used to be a member of a cult that sells cosmetics and was at a training session. At the time I wasn't tweezing my brows because I'd over-tweezed so was growing in to start over. The "beauty consultant" conducting the training pulled me out of the crowd to demonstrate how brows should be kept, and said it was good hygiene to maintain them. It was humiliating sitting there while she implied that not tweezing my brows was somehow unclean. People! Sometimes I'm ashamed to be one.

Length
    TBL/FTL+/TRMNL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

Do it!! Do it!! Grow to ankle!!

Yeah, it would blow people's minds (I know it blew mine when I got here!!) to know that shampoo isn't the only way to go, and that you don't HAVE to kill your hair with product to achieve lovely hair. Good on you for keeping your mouth shut and trying to make your workplace a nice place to be for everyone - I'm not sure I could have done it myself.

Spidermom - oh my goodness, that sounds horrible (the tweezing). It's sad when people have to resort to humiliation and degradation of others to sell their products or services. To me, that would scream out that her stuff isn't good enough to stand on its own.
    Current Length: 47" (Fingertip length), 2b/2c, ii, F/M
    Longest ever achieved: 55.5" (Upper Calf Length)

Lady Deipneus of the Gifted Hands in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

Length
    11/47/60
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

jojo, I've gotten that comment more often than I care to remember. I think Carolyn's totally right: people who have never had long hair just have no idea how easy it is to maintain. I went short some years ago because I could "do nothing with it" and boy howdy, short hair is a total pain in the patoot. I had to work so hard to just make it look decent, let alone nice. It couldn't grow fast enough. I keep getting comments on my YT page from people telling me how gorgeous my hair is, and then telling me how much better it would look short. You'd think having heard it so many times, I would be used to it, and yet? I am still so confused. ) I quite enjoyed your rant. I go on those myself, sometimes.