Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Simple "hair growth candy" recipe

Length
    Hip/Hip+/Metal
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Cool Simple "hair growth candy" recipe

There are several studies out there suggesting that gelatin has a positive effect on hair growth, so I decided to try and tinker a little dessert thing with this thought in mind. Of course, this isn't a magic recipe to instantly grow tons of hair, but it could be a tasty little addition to an otherwise healthy lifestyle and hair routine. I imagine that for people who struggle to consume sufficient amounts of protein, this would be an easy way to incorporate more bioavailable protein into their diets, but do note that gelatin is not something for vegans.

I just threw this together out of my head without measuring anything, so this is just an approximation and you'll have to experiment a little as you go. I will be doing just that with future versions. My first batch of this failed due to my addition of cream into it (tasted like "fridge" and looked like some kind of a disgusting mushroom and it caused the gelatin to clump prematurely because I was working with room-temperature substances in the first place), so I can't personally recommend that.

A little bit of information on the effects of ingested gelatin on hair growth:
    https://www.zalahair.com/blog/mythbu...-good-for-hair
    https://eurekamag.com/research/005/230/005230928.php
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC50001/

So, the basic recipe is as follows.

Gelatin and liquorice powder in about 1:1 ratio (replace liquorice powder with anything you like)
    Sweetener according to your preferences (I used a grainy erythritol & stevia product)
    Water
    Melted butter could potentially make a nice additional ingredient? I will be testing this next time.

On medium to low heat (I used settings 2 and 3 out of 6), mix the gelatin and liquorice powder (or whatever you're using) into water (and butter if you're using that). Regarding the amount of water, you'll want it quite runny. It will solidify very efficiently in the fridge. Add sweetener and keep mixing until it looks somewhat caramellised. Pour into bendable silicone molds, leave to cool down, then put into the fridge for a couple of hours.

It will turn into gummy bear-like stuff except it will cost you much less than any of those fancy hairbear whatever sugar bombs they market as hair growth vitamins.

I'm not a masterchef of any sort, so take this with a grain of salt (if you're making salty liquorice, heh heh heeee!) and adjust according to your own skills, knowledge, and tastes.
    Ósnjallr maðr hyggsk munu ey lifa, ef hann við víg varask;
    en elli gefr hánum engi frið, þótt hánum geirar gefi.

Instagram | Last.fm | Folk band | Acoustic metal duo | My links

Length
    Shave/Mid t/Knee
    Type
    2a/F/ii/iii

Default Re: Simple "hair growth candy" recipe

I'm definitely going to give this a try as I buy hair vitamins and this sounds perfect. If I didn't want to use liquorice what sort of things could I replace it with?

Length
    Hip/Hip+/Metal
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley8 View Post
    I'm definitely going to give this a try as I buy hair vitamins and this sounds perfect. If I didn't want to use liquorice what sort of things could I replace it with?
    I have to experiment myself, but perhaps dried berries (or berry powder), dark chocolate (don't know how that would behave with gelatin but the fats should combine well with butter if you're using that, too), soda powder... Spices even?! Instead of water, you could perhaps use some type of juice or concentrate? Lemon juice?

Length
    Short/Waist/Term
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

And here I thought it would have cheese in the recipe

Length
    Shave/Mid t/Knee
    Type
    2a/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Ylva View Post
    I have to experiment myself, but perhaps dried berries (or berry powder), dark chocolate (don't know how that would behave with gelatin but the fats should combine well with butter if you're using that, too), soda powder... Spices even?! Instead of water, you could perhaps use some type of juice or concentrate? Lemon juice?
    Thanks sounds great, I'll let you know how it goes!

Length
    Hip/Hip+/Metal
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by LongLocke View Post
    And here I thought it would have cheese in the recipe
    I'm sure that, too, can be implemented!

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley8 View Post
    Thanks sounds great, I'll let you know how it goes!
    Awesome, looking forward to it!

Length
    Chin/APL/Class
    Type
    2b/F/ii

This sounds pretty good! I used to make this dessert called coffee jelly; I had a Japanese coworker who brought me some once and taught me the recipe. I haven't made it in a while, but if gelatin is good for your hair then I think I have a new fav summer treat
    long hair is self care
    Chin ♡ Collarbone ♡ APL ♡ BSL ♡ Mermaid ♡ Waist ♡ Hip ♡ TBL ♡

Length
    SL/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2b/M/ii

I make and eat often jell-o and it's also a good way to get more gelatin ( great for hair and nails)
    During the summer I make sometimes a refreshing dessert which is sort of cheesecake without baking and its made by mixing jell-o with Greek yoghurt, sugar and heavy cream. My favourite is lemon flavour I can dig around for the recipe if anyone is interested.
    My fix for today

And my cheesecake from last summer

It was raspberry on chocolate bottom.
    Den som väntar på något gott väntar aldrig för länge.

Lady Sheala the Conjurer of the Empress Tree in the Order of Long Haired Knights

Length
    Hip/Hip+/Metal
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

I would love the recipe, paulownia! Looks so good! And angel-baby, thanks for sharing that one! I think I will try all of these things over the summer, but without the sugar.

Length
    SL/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Ylva View Post
    I would love the recipe, paulownia! Looks so good! And angel-baby, thanks for sharing that one! I think I will try all of these things over the summer, but without the sugar.
    I'm not sure how to make this one sugar-free
    I usually make the bottom on crushed Digestive cookies mixed with some melted butter (for chocolate bottom i used Double chocolate Oreos)
    Dissolve 2 bags of jell-o ( mine have 77 grams) in 500 ml of hot water and set aside for cooling. Whip 250 ml.of heavy cream with 200 ml of sugar. Mix with 500 grams of Greek yoghurt. Pour the jell-o in the mix and blend well ( it will have very runny consistency)
    I spread my cookies on the bottom of a form and pour this mix over and directly into the refrigerator. Usually ready after 2 hours.
    Den som väntar på något gott väntar aldrig för länge.

Lady Sheala the Conjurer of the Empress Tree in the Order of Long Haired Knights