Page 3 of 261 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: The Cassia Thread (see first post for link to FAQs)

Length
    22/34/term
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Rae~ View Post
    sybarite, if it helps, here is what I do (whatever my mix is):

I did have photos showing all this, but I can't access them as they were in my old photo journal, sorry.
    Ok, you all have convinced me! I'm ordering 500g ( I have superthick nearing waist length hair and I'm hoping I'll get at least 3 treatments out of this). . Totalling 31 USD. DF said that he would split the cost with me as an experiment to see if I like it. He REALLY wants me to be a midnight black hair or red hair, and wants me to try henna. After all the work I have done to get my hair healthy I will never do "professional" or box dye again. So, we'll see if I like cassia!! I'm tre excited!!
    My Photo Journal like books?-- see my journal!
    I am lady Athena, keeper of wisdom, in the order of the long haired knights!

Type
    2b/F/M/ii

marajade, that's great - have fun! You are doing it purely for condition, not colour, right? One thing to note is that some people report it can take a few applications of cassia before they really see results, so don't be too disappointed if the result is fairly subtle after the first one. (Having said that, it has not been my experience - I love my hair after even just one application).

I highly recommend "practicing" applying gloop using cassia before you move on to henna anyway... seeing as there is little stain with cassia (although I still clean up drips fairly quickly just in case, especially in a white bathroom!). Henna is much less forgiving. It took me a couple of goes before I worked out how to apply the gloop without getting it EVERYWHERE.
    Last edited by Rae~; March 15th, 2008 at 09:04 PM.

Length
    22/34/term
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/iii

Yep. . too scared to do any kind of "color"
    My Photo Journal like books?-- see my journal!
    I am lady Athena, keeper of wisdom, in the order of the long haired knights!

Length
    19/30/36
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Marijade, if you're doing it purely for conditioning, make sure that you only leave the cassia mix to develop for 20-30 minutes. Also, there is nothing to suggest that leaving cassia on for more than an hour is any more effective for conditioning than just leaving it on for 30-60 minutes.

I notice a conditioning benefit from the first treatment, but it does build up in time. And the good news is that you don't need to leave it on your head all day as you would with henna.

I know that most people apply the cassia to damp hair, but I honestly found that the conditioning was more apparent after applying it to dry hair. I've tested it, and there's no question that it's definitely more effective on me with dry hair.

Of course as with everything, results vary from person to person.

I can't wait to hear all about it!

Length
    19/30/36
    Type
    1a/F/ii

For anyone who's interested, this is grams converted into cups:

>> 1/8 cup= 15 grams
    >>
    >> 1/4 cup= 30 grams
    >>
    >> 1/3 cup= 40 grams
    >>
    >> 3/8 cup= 45 grams
    >>
    >> 1/2 cup= 60 grams
    >>
    >> 5/8 cup= 70 grams
    >>
    >> 2/3 cup= 75 grams
    >>
    >> 3/4 cup= 85 grams
    >>
    >> 7/8 cup= 100 grams
    >>
    >> 1 cup= 110 grams

I hope this is of use to someone.

Length
    17/30/34
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/iii

Default Cassia for Colour?

A quick question for those of you who use/have used cassia to colour grey hairs (and "perk up" blonde hair): Should I use more cassia than just for conditioning? Should I mix it with anything in particular (e.g., chamomile, lemon juice)? Should I let the mix develop longer than for conditioning? And, should I leave it on longer?

The mehandi site recommends a mix with lemon or orange juice, developing for 12 hours, and leaving on for (I think) 3-4. Anyone tried this?

thanks!
    dorothea

I'm interested in cassia mixed with yogurt and also ways to use cassia without getting too much yellow since I have many silver hairs. I read about leaving it on for less time (20-30 minutes), is there anything else one can do to either prevent the yellow or use a tea that would tone the yellow?
    I don't mind a bit of color as long as the tone isn't too yellow.

Length
    21/47.5/?
    Type
    2c/M/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Gothic Lolita View Post
    I henna gloss my hair every 4 to 8 weeks. Can I do a Cassia Treatment a few days after glossing or do I have to wait a certain amount of time?
    I can't see why you couldn't (i.e. I don't think there'd be anything wrong with that).

However, both henna and cassia strengthen (and thicken) hair by depositing colour on the shaft. You'd probably be better off if you do your henna glosses and cassia alternately every 2-4 weeks, to maintain the thickening/strenghtening benefits. I mean like henna ->(3 wks later) cassia ->(3 wks later) henna ->(3 wks later) cassia, and so on.

Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii/iii

I used cassia on virgin hair with a few grays 3 years ago when no one even knew that it had a light golden dye. My grays are sterling silver and didn't change after cassia which I did every week. For me, the conditioning wore off in that short a time which is why I preferred henna. It lasted much longer. Perhaps the longer you use cassia, the longer the conditioning lasts. I've noticed that with henna though I know they're two completely different plants so they may not work even nearly the same. I think the key is getting the cassia on and off before it releases its dye. All those who used it like I did on H4H had reported no color. They mixed, applied a.s.a.p., and only kept it on for 30 minutes. The general consensus in the old cassia thread here seemed to be that waiting for dye release for 3 hours gave the best results.

Also, I wouldn't say henna and cassia condition by depositing color. They can work without doing that. In fact, Prairiechild had reported destroying the lawsone in henna to use it for conditioning without getting color and said it worked the same.

Several of you have confirmed for me the bit about leaving cassia on for not more than 30 minutes if you don't want the yellow color.

I've also read that some people use a mixture with yogurt rather than water with the cassia. Does anyone know what yogurt imparts to the cassia as far as conditioning and if it affects the dye release in any way?