Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Diatomaceous earth/silica: WARNING

Type
    3a/M/ii

Post Re: Diatomaceous earth/silica: WARNING

Quote Originally Posted by marobader View Post
    it is say 13.6mg for 250g banana
    Actually it says 13.6 MG, which is obviously wrong. Silica in bananas is not magnetic!
    Pyerre Mehendi Mage in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    My name is Indigo Montoya. You terped my henna. Prepare to dye!
    Pic by Renarok

Persistent Procrastinator teela1978's Avatar
    Length
    19/34/36
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: Diatomaceous earth/silica: WARNING

Quote Originally Posted by MandyBeth View Post
    Math is about right.

If 100mg is the toxic dose - eating 2 1000g bananas is toxic. I'm far, far more likely to eat 2 1000g bananas without thinking about it than I am going to be eating 3.6 kilos (or about 7.92 pounds) of DE - which isn't dirt, but crushed diatoms.

Yes - if you inhale silica as silicon dioxide - it is a hazard. Amorphous silica does not show the same problems at all. And (if you don't inhale it), it appears inert and harmless. USCDC recommends using DE for cleanup of toxic liquid spills. Food grade DE - which is the only one that is recommended by anyone here I believe - is amorphous silica. Pool grade DE - which is NOT recommended - because it's heated and treated with soda ash - reverts to a crystalline form and is not safe.

For the record - I don't strongly recommend inhaling ANYTHING other than basic air without a doctor's advice. I will say for all of my ideas that it may not do anything really - I do think I do better with DE than without. I would not be surprised to find out some day that my system requires all the silica I'd give it in it's ongoing fight against my immune system that wants to destroy my body.

Please also keep in mind - I'm very warped. I've had JRA/RA for 21 years. I've has SLE for 13 years ago. In 1950, SLE killed 90% of people in 5 years. I figure I'm living on borrowed time every day, so I just don't worry about it.

I don't mind cooked garlic, but raw garlic is something that my system will rebel against. Phooey.

Now, pumpkin seeds (pepitas) - yummy!
    Wow, I want to see your bananas There are probably 5 bananas in a kilo (at least where I live)... so 10 bananas would be a toxic dose.

Length
    Shldr/BSL!/waist
    Type
    2b/M/ii

People may not like my 2 cents but here it is: EVERYTHING is dangerous if taken in large enough doses. However I live my life without worrying about things such as this. It is dirt, it can be eaten- it comes from the earth!! I just can't live my life in constant fear of such things. In addition, I KNOW what its like to have kidney pain. Kidneys don't just "get damaged" or fail without giving lots of painful warnings. As long as my body feels good I know it is ok with what I am doing.

Length
    waist/sl/none
    Type
    2c/M/C/i

I don't believe that this is true. People can get liver failure or kidney problems from just one or two overdoses of pain relievers such as Tylenol. Iron comes from dirt and can cause serious organ problems in too high an amount. Toddlers have died from iron poisoning because they thought that their vitamins were candy and ate a handful.

A little of something might be absolutely necessary to our body functioning, like salt. However, too much over a long period of time can be damaging. Too much might be just a small amount more than what we require...

I am not saying don't do it. I am just saying that natural things can still kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Merkaba View Post
    People may not like my 2 cents but here it is: EVERYTHING is dangerous if taken in large enough doses. However I live my life without worrying about things such as this. It is dirt, it can be eaten- it comes from the earth!! I just can't live my life in constant fear of such things. In addition, I KNOW what its like to have kidney pain. Kidneys don't just "get damaged" or fail without giving lots of painful warnings. As long as my body feels good I know it is ok with what I am doing.
    Change is the only constant.

Length
    21.5/BSL+/Waist
    Type
    2b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Akiko View Post
    I saw the chart on the linked site. It says 250mg of banana contains 13.6mg of silica. That cannot be true, can it? I am eating a banana. It weighs 100g. So....

1000/0.250x13.6=5440 mg of silica in a single banana!

That's 388-600 times more than RDI. Maybe it is supposed to be 13.6mg silica/250g banana.
    I noticed that there seem to be some inconsistencies on their numbers too. It says the upper limits are about 30mg. A beer is supposed to have ~19mg and a banana ~14g. So if you drink a beer and eat a banana you've had too much silica.

Getting closer...

Length
    21.5/BSL+/Waist
    Type
    2b/F/ii

There is a large food-safe DE suppler in the US called Perma_Guard. On their website, they have links to FDA regulations, analysis, etc. Here is the link:

http://perma-guard.com/analysis.html

Getting closer...

made of sugar and cyanide MandyBeth's Avatar
    Length
    6"?/17"/.....
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii/iii

Here is the MSDS sheet for Perma-guard seed and grain DE.

http://perma-guard.com/msds/MSDS%20G...%20Storage.pdf

For 60 pages of fun reading - KSU's lecture slides on inert dusts used for pesticides. Quite a long bit on DE, actually lots of good info if you are interested. It does mention GRAS and that DE can be tested to see if it meets that standard or not, and it does appear that Perma Guard (the common US brand) would meet GRAS standards.

http://www.ksre.ksu.edu/grsc_subi/Te...nert_Dusts.pdf

Extraordinary Wordsmith WaitingSoLong's Avatar
    Length
    MTL/BSL/none
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

I am so glad I read this thread before buying DE. I love bananas!

~WSL~My YouTube tutorials with Classic+ Hair
    FTL in 2013. Back to waist/virgin 2014. Virgin thigh 2018. Cut back to waist July 2018

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by bumblebums View Post
    Raw garlic is a powerful anti-parasitic, and the most dangerous side effect it has on most people is smelly breath and BO.

Pumpkin seeds are good, too, and delicious.
    too much garlic can be harmful as its an anticoagulant and can cause bruising, hypotension and fainting spells and can even cause anaemia. If taken before surgery it increases the risk of hemorage too.

I take De and have noticed only positives; improved asthma almost non-existant, IBS much improved-more regular, more energy, better sleep patterns, moods more stable, reduced appetite as in sweet cravings, my chloresterol has reduced from 9 to 4, my BP is now 130/70 opposed to 200/100 and I have less pains in joints and as a bonus my hair grows quicker and looks shinier.

But I do appreciate toadstool for looking out for us and researching this, thank you TS xx
    Last edited by jojo; January 15th, 2010 at 11:04 AM.
    Buzz October 2015 to get rid of bendigo and lots of other damage, now Al natural and loving it....where will my journey end? I will tell you when I get there. Lifelong Co washer and LOC method currentl approaching curly hip

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    too much garlic can be harmful as its an anticoagulant and can cause bruising, hypotension and fainting spells and can even cause anaemia. If taken before surgery it increases the risk of hemorage too.
    Well, the good news is that unless you are swallowing whole bulbs of garlic Maria Full of Grace-style, it's pretty difficult to overdose on garlic. The potent flavor is a limiting factor in how much of it you can eat in one sitting. I don't think I recommended anyone to eat huge quantities of garlic; modest consumption should be enough to keep parasites in check.

Re: surgery--usually it is advised not to eat anything before going into surgery. Garlic is no exception.

Like many posters above have noted, a lot of substances can be dangerous when consumed immoderately. You can dangerously overdose on things like water and carrots, and you can die from peanuts and shellfish if you have an allergy. I do think, however, and I am very biased on this, that eating normal, wholesome foods is generally preferable and safe compared to ingesting supplements that contain concentrated, refined minerals. There are obviously different schools of thought on this.