Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New at no hair dryers, straighteners, or styling products.

Length
    Ear/Bra/Floor
    Type
    1c/2a/M/i

Thumbs up Re: New at no hair dryers, straighteners, or styling products.

I tried the clarifying blue shampoo, 60 sec conditioner, cream rinse, then added a tiny tadd of olive oil and let air dry. It is soo soft and silky, no dryness or frizzies.

Length
    ?/26/30++
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: New at no hair dryers, straighteners, or styling products.

Personally (and we have similar hair, but I had color and heat damage) I would recommend going more natural - less 'cones etc (not sure what is in that stuff...). The buildup issue makes me think there is a lot of gunk that isn't getting off your hair, although I find I do get buildup very, very easily.

Here is what works for me. My hair is medium thickness (where it is growing back in anyway...), fine, frizzy, and wavy.

I wash 2x a week, once after swimming (with work and a baby I manage to swim only 1x a week) with a sulfate shampoo to get the chlorine out. Sometimes I do a deep treatment beforehand (SMT), leaving it on for an hour or more.

For my other wash I wash with water only. Let warm water run over the scalp and massage the scalp under the water, moving the sebum down.

At the moment this works really well for me. Sometimes I wash a bit more often (one more non-sulfate shampoo wash in between washes) depending on my schedule. I NEVER (apart from the SMTs) put conditioner on my scalp - could this be one of your issues too?

Clarifying (I use sulfate shampoo for this) really helps. I also put leave-in into my hair most days - from the ears down. Towards the end of the wash cycle , i.e. 'dirty days', I oil my hair when it gets damp in the shower (the nape, mostly, as my coarser hairs need more oil) and use that to help me get better and smoother updos and braids.

It is a constant battle with fine, wavy hair but you have to find what works for you.

Good luck!
    Feb 2013, solid BSL again but shedding. Wondering if this is really terminal length. Hairtype 1b/2b, F/M, ii

Length
    short/short/long
    Type
    3b/F/M/ii

Uhhh, you're using suave naturals to shampoo?

You might want to look into something else. Most of the condtioners rock, but the shampoos have REALLY strong sulfates--in fact, they should've taken care of your buildup problem. If you're having problems, I'd look into something with SLS (sodium lauryl/laureth sulfate) over the suave Naturals (which have Ammonium Laureth Sulfate--stronger).

That said, I wash with Suave Naturals--but only because it's cheap, I spend most of my money on conditioners, and clarify and/or wash as little as possible, usually once every 2.5 weeks to a month.
    (Lord Caswallawn of the Crushing Blow in the Order of Longhaired Knights)

Length
    Ear/Bra/Floor
    Type
    1c/2a/M/i

Yea. My stylist said to try to stretch inbetween washes slowly because of what suave can do to my hair if I use it too often. But she recommended it because of the conditioner buildup I had when I first went to see her. Eventually I should get to washing 1 -2 times a month and have to use the blue shampoo even less. Its suppose to be a good transition into WO.

I believe the problem I was having about the frizzies and the dryness was because my hair was so use to being conditioned everyday. After I started the new products I wasnt using anything to protect my hair before washing and I wasnt using anything to hold in the moisture after washing. A small bit of oil on my ends before and after seemed to do the trick.

I cant wait to do WO. I hear the best thing one can do for their hair is "nothing."

Length
    17.5/17.5/34
    Type
    1c/M/ii

Monica, thank you for sharing your information. I appreciate it. Good luck with your WO goal!

≈ωаѵєs оŋ τнє оcєаŋ≈ xoxophelia's Avatar
    Length
    26"/35"/waist
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by MonicaV2544 View Post
    Ok. Thank you. It has felt like it needs a conditioning treatment. My specailist said conditonor was suppose to be used once a month and cream rinse once or twice a week. I suppose your right about the system not working for everyone.
    I would consider doing a clarifying treatment followed by an oil treatment left in and wrapped up overnight. I tried 1:1 olive oil and canola oil and it was AMAZING. I am going to do it again pretty soon. Probably tomorrow night .

~~embracing nature's waves~~
    instagram: monophonatic