Thread: *Blonde Highlights on Med./Dark Brown Hair without Bleach~Is it possible?*

Length
    15 in/17 in/30 in
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

Default *Blonde Highlights on Med./Dark Brown Hair without Bleach~Is it possible?*

Hello! I was just wondering if it is at all possible to get blonde highlights on Med./Dark brown hair without the use of bleach.. I have never used henna before, but from all the posts it is definitely tempting. I used to dye my hair all the time when I was younger, but I have been chemically color free for 4~5 years now and have been my natural color. I am in the mood for a change without damaging my hair. Considering the fact that I am trying to grow it long again. I got it cut from BSL to a neck~length bob about 2 weeks ago, and regret it very, very much. So as I play the waiting game of letting it grow again, I thought I would experiment with some different things. Let me know what you think!! All suggestions greatly appreciated!!
    *Happy Growing*

Length
    16"/17"/Waist
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Default Re: *Blonde Highlights on Med./Dark Brown Hair without Bleach~Is it possible?*

Henna won't give you blonde highlights -- henna will only make hair darker. Straight henna will give you auburn highlights, and a henna/indigo mix will just give you brown on brown hair so you probably won't see a difference at all.

I've used honey in the past to lighten up my hair a bit. The change definitely isn't as dramatic as bleach, but if you apply it consistently to the same strips you will probably get a natural, sun-highlighted look. There are tons of treads on here about honey lightening. My own mix was one part honey (I used the one in the bear shaped bottle), six parts distilled water. Make sure you don't heat it up or else the lightening effects will be lost. I applied to my hair, wrapped with saran wrap, put a shower cap on, and let it sit overnight. It took about 3-4 applications to lighten it, but I was doing it on henndigoed hair, not virgin. It's definitely more healthy on hair than bleach - I had no noticeable damage.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: *Blonde Highlights on Med./Dark Brown Hair without Bleach~Is it possible?*

The only thing I can think of: clip-in hair streaks. I think that's the only way you're going to get blonde highlights in dark hair without bleach. Or spend your entire summer in the sun.

Length
    15 in/17 in/30 in
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

Thanks for the help! IDK.. Maybe dark red hightlights from henna, would look nice in my dark brown hair, and I should try that instead. I prefer to do highlights to see if I like it, and if I would want to do my whole head or not. I do like my natural color but would like some style!!
    *Happy Growing*

In my limited experience, the only way I got highlights in my hair (which is an acorn brown color, sometimes darker) was spending a lot of time in the sun- I didn't even notice it happening, I was just outside in the sun all the time because I work with horses It didn't make my hair very blonde, but they lightened the brown considerably. I think red henna looks lovely over brown hair. A lot of people like the 'cherry coke' effect it has on brown hair. I'm trying to grow out my darker indigo so that I can use straight red henna over my natural color.