Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lavender Oil-- Safe to Use Neat...or Not?

Length
    24"/24"/30"
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Default Lavender Oil-- Safe to Use Neat...or Not?

Hi all, I tried searching a bit on here for the answer to my question but I'm still confused... So here it is. Is it safe to put undiluted (or "neat") lavender essential oil on my hair's length? I started getting in the habit of taking about 4 drops of lavender EO in the palms of my hand, rubbing them together, and then rubbing/smoothing my hair length... it smelled nice and strong... but I am hearing that NO essential oils whatsoever should be used neat. I got the idea to do this from a natural recipe book I have-- they just called it a "fragrant hair sheen" and I thought it was okay to do it. But then I read a few times on here that you should not use any EO's neat.

I guess my concern is I might damage my hair... or irritate the skin of my palms?

Does anyone know if it's okay to do this? I don't want to deal with diluting it every time...but if that's what's best, then I guess I'll have to get over it.

Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

Default Re: Lavender Oil-- Safe to Use Neat...or Not?

I'm not sure about the safety of the issue.

To avoid diluting it every time, you could fill a small bottle with carrier oil and add a small amount of the EO, so that you have a decent amount premixed. You could also fill a spray bottle with water, add a little EO and spritz your hair for the scent (shake well before spraying to mix the EO with the water - it will float on top on its own.)

Given both that the scent of EOs is quite strong, and that they are expensive, figuring a way to stretch the oil can't be a bad idea.
    I am opting out of the "Friends" system. All requests will be declined.
    Ursula's Standard Newbie Advice
    Ezekiel 23:20

I've been using it straight on my scalp without any problems. I think some people find that it irritates the skin, but I haven't seen it. Don't know if it harms hair.

Length
    BUZZ/APL/???
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

I don't use it straight because the smell is so strong that it gives me headaches. What I did was take a small bottle and put 10-15 drops of the lavender oil in with a generous tablespoon of oil and shake it before using it.
    F/ii/goodbye henna!

Type
    2c/M/ii

I've always read that lavendar is one of the few EO's that are safe to use on skin undiluted. I rub some on my palms regularly. But it would be wise to try a patch test first.

Type
    2b/2c/F/i

Yes, lavender oil is safe to use neat on the skin. I've no idea about the hair though.

Persistent Procrastinator teela1978's Avatar
    Length
    19/34/36
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by pelicano View Post
    Yes, lavender oil is safe to use neat on the skin. I've no idea about the hair though.
    I can't imagine it causing any problems to hair.

If you're just using it for scent, I'd say keep on keeping on.

has left the building
    Length
    short/22/waist

Quick question, do you find that it smells like chemical sunscreen.... my all natural sunblock smells suspicious, but the only ingredient that I could imagine causing the smell is the lavender oil

*end hijack*
    [SIGP

Length
    13"/25"/32"
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Hi Scrumtrulescent,

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the reason that it is advised not to use undiltuted essential oils on the skin is partly because of the potential for localised irritation, but also because it is absorbed into the blood stream (hence why there are many oils that shouldn't be used during pregnancy).

Having said that, I think that lavender is probably one of the gentler EO's, and I have used it neat on my skin before to treat a minor burn (would definitely NOT recommend this officially as it could go horribly wrong, but it did work for me, under the advice of a fairly knowledgeable person).

I would be slightly hesitant to use neat EO's directly on hair as they are very concentrated & strong and while it might be fine, they might have a bit of a harsh effect over time. Hopefully an essential oil expert will come along soon and clarify the matter (no pun intended)

Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

I have used lavender essential oil in my hair many times,i like the results but get a migraine from the smell.....
    I have never noticed any damage or anything to my hair but i always make sure i wash my hands after i am done.