Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most effective lenght solution?

Type
    1b/M/C/i/ii

Default Most effective lenght solution?

Hi All!

Im aching for faster growth and thickness after i foolishly detroyed my own head of hair with hair extensions.

I had BSL hair, got extensions, had them for 6 months, removed them and had to chop back to just under chin lenght - and literally lost 2/3rds of my own hair.

Am currently at just under shoulder lenght.

Am desparate for more lenght and thickness and am unsure what i should try
    monistat?
    de? (having trouble finding this in australia?)
    mega tek?

I know everyone is different...but what have you had astounding succes with? and how?

I need some inspiration and advice

Length
    19/hip/termi
    Type
    1a/F/ii/iii

Default Re: Most effective lenght solution?

I've doubled my monthly growth rate with monostat. I also use Snowy's massage method every day. I wear my hair up all the time to prevent damage. I avoid salons as if they were the plague. My DH dusts my hair. I never use any kind of heat on my hair. In freezing temperatures I wear a woolen cap that covers all my hair. Eat a healthy diet, get your beauty sleep and drink water.

I think in Australia monostat is called Daktarin.
    Last edited by hanne jensen; December 31st, 2009 at 06:31 AM. Reason: forgot something

Flying the friendly skies CrisDee's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/UBL/Hip
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii/iii

I'm still very much of a newbie, would you mind explaining what it is about hair extensions that ruins your hair? I've seen that a few times and am curious - thanks!

RIP, Manatawny's Sterling Slam Dunk, call name Mutombo. 6/24/2001 - 6/24/2013. Best. Dog. Ever.

Relentless Reenactor Fiferstone's Avatar
    Length
    18/38/40
    Type
    1a/F/ii

I second the wear your hair up and change up your style as much as possible (don't wear it the same way every day) advice. At your current length, you should be able to do a french twist/peacock twist, gibson tuck, and possibly a sock bun as well. Point is, keep your hair protected and be mindful of how you treat it. Now that it's shoulder length you're starting to get some length, and you should look into oiling just the ends to protect them and keep them from splitting. As my own hair got longer I had the "oily scalp/straw length" problem until I tried CWC and oiling. Definitely look at Nightshade's article (in the articles section) http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...e&articleid=79 on growing long after bad damage (her's was dye damage, but the same principles apply). Also look at Ursula's standard newbie advice if you haven't found it already, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...e&articleid=39

Good luck, and happy growing. Stay AWAY from the extensions, they are so not worth it.

For the record, I'm a finey, my hair is now hip-length, I've had long hair for 20 years (mostly between BSL and waist), this is the longest it's ever been.

ETA: The damage from extensions results from the methods by which they are affixed to your own hair (glue beads, clips, sewing in), from the weight (your hair follicle is not intended to support more than the weight of your own hair) and the tangles that result as your own hair grows. You have to move the clipped on extensions as your hair grows, for example.
    Lady Marigold of the Far Plains in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Flying the friendly skies CrisDee's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/UBL/Hip
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Fiferstone View Post
    The damage from extensions results from the methods by which they are affixed to your own hair (glue beads, clips, sewing in), from the weight (your hair follicle is not intended to support more than the weight of your own hair) and the tangles that result as your own hair grows. You have to move the clipped on extensions as your hair grows, for example.
    Thanks for the info - I've always wondered what these things were all about, sounds about as healthy for your hair as acrylics are for your nails... ewww....

RIP, Manatawny's Sterling Slam Dunk, call name Mutombo. 6/24/2001 - 6/24/2013. Best. Dog. Ever.

The Last Hairbender Dreams_in_Pink's Avatar
    Length
    pob/Hip/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/C/ii/iii

eh, i just got extensions removed but there's barely any damage on my hair. Actually, i noticed my hair started to grow at a rocket speed once i took them out. (went from chin to your length in about 2 months!) Your might not be that much damaged from extensions, so stop worrying about that

as far as i know, there's no way your hair can grow 1 inch a day but, as mentioned above eating healthy, exercising and scalp massage can help maximize the growth. (I'm not sure bout monistat thing, i wouldn't want to put a drug on my head just to increase growth)

oh and BTW, i heard that castor oil encourages growth when massaged onto scalp. Not tried it though.

Chin /// Shoulder /// APL /// BSL ///Waist /// Hip /// BCL /// Tailbone /// Classic (final goal) /// All one length Classic

Length
    pixie/Shldr/APL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii/iii

I take a multi vitamin that has biotin everyday. I also take fish oil supplements. I think a lot of people here have has success with biotin.

Also, there's a thread on here about millet. I've been eating it about twice a week. I don't know if it has anything to do with my growth, but it's very healthy for you anyway.
    Last edited by 2peasinapod; December 31st, 2009 at 07:26 AM. Reason: spelling

Type
    1b/M/C/i/ii

thanks all

i just feel like i will never have my own beautiful long hair again..

the extensions ruined my hair i dare say becuase of the weight. i had the highest quality that money could buy - attached with micro clips, but when i had them removed i lost a great deal of my own hair as it thinned out... it does have a lot to do with hair type, i know people that have worn extensions and then removed them with no damage....i guees my hair and scalp did not take to extensions well...it was so thinned out when the extensions were removed that i had to get a huge chop.

i currently take multivitamins and fish oil - so will keep that up.

i shampoo and conditions once a week with a product called FAST from the uk which has given me a noticable increase in new hair growth (i have tried going all natural with hair washing in the past and my hair does not agree with it)

i dont really use heat products (will blow dry maybe once a month)

i think i am going to give the monistat a go - i did try that once about 18 months ago, i just always had a tricky time spreading it evenly on my scalp...

anyone fromm australia obtainded DE? and how do you use it?

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Patience and good health habits work the best.

The Last Hairbender Dreams_in_Pink's Avatar
    Length
    pob/Hip/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Lassie View Post
    thanks all

i just feel like i will never have my own beautiful long hair again..

... but when i had them removed i lost a great deal of my own hair as it thinned out...
    I lost lots of hair too, but there are factors to it:
    - Normally, a person can shed 100 strands a day. Those shed hairs are trapped inside microrings. Do some math to see how many strands should fall once extensions are removed
    - BESIDES, there's a big possibility that your hairdresser thinned out hairs at the crown to provide smooth transition. That really cuts down on volume. Once those "layers" grow out you'll be fine.
    - When you have extensions on, your ponytail circumference kinda "doubles" or "triples". You get used to the new weight of hair, so much that your own weight seems to be very little compared to extensions. It takes a while to remember your own hair

Don't worry about your "lost hairs"; it takes A LOT to stop a hair follicle from producing hair.

Chin /// Shoulder /// APL /// BSL ///Waist /// Hip /// BCL /// Tailbone /// Classic (final goal) /// All one length Classic