Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oatmeal?

Length
    1.25/4.25/BSL+
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

Default Oatmeal?

Tonight my DS, 7 months, had a bit of a bottom rash (teething -ugh!) so I decided to try an oatmeal bath. I dumped some rollled oats into a piece of old t-shirt, tied it off, and then squeezed, squished, and squashed the oatmeal sack under the running water. It turned his bath into a lovely milky one. As he drenched me with his splashes I took the sack and ran it all over him squeezing it so that the oatmeal juices covered him. Then I ran it all over his head and face, too. He turned out uber soft! And his hair is so light and soft and shiney.

So of course this got me thinking about my own hair (a subject never too far from the front burners of my brain). Does anyone know if it would do anything beneficial for hair in this form? Perhaps a oatmeal milk rinse? I know it's supposed to be soothing but do you think it has any cleansing or conditioning properties at all?
    Growing out again since August 2019
    pixie
    ~ cl ~ sl ~ apl ~ bsl ~.......?

Type
    1c/C/iii

Default Re: Oatmeal?

Hmmm, interesting. Worth a try methinks. If it's cleansing, all the better. Will try out this week-end and report back.
    Amo, amas, amat, amodimethicone, ammonium laureth sulphate....I'm feeling the love .

Type
    1a/1b/M/C/iii

I know oatmeal baths are soothing for people with neurodermatitis, so if one has scalp problem it migth be worth a try. I don't think it can be cleaning thou, it doesn't contain anything that might be able to cut grease.
    At true tailbone!

Obsessive Oilaholic ChloeDharma's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I've actually been meaning to do this for ages. It might not be cleansing but i imagine it would be nicely conditioning and very good for the scalp. I'll definately be giving it a go once i finally get around to it. If you do try be sure to post your results back
    The heart would have no rainbow, had the eyes no tears.

Length
    SL/Waist/Hip
    Type
    2b/C/iii

Hm, I know it's very soothing for chicken pox. I imagine it would be very helpful for scalp problems. I don't know if it'd help dandruff, but maybe general itchyness?

Goals: APL : BSL : Midback :Waist : Virgin

Well oatmeal is known for it's moisturizing and softening benefits on the skin (similar to coconut milk) so I'm assuming that it would do really well. I bet it would be good for the scalp too.

Maybe you can make a Oatmeal, Milk & Honey rinse....sounds really good for moisture actually! *runs to go try it out*

Length
    1.25/4.25/BSL+
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

I'd love to know if anyone tries this. We've got a family packed weekend - otherwise I'd be trying! lol

Please post results.
    Growing out again since August 2019
    pixie
    ~ cl ~ sl ~ apl ~ bsl ~.......?

Length
    d.n.a/neck/mo'h.
    Type
    1b/M/i

I’ve recently found out in the olden days brans were used for washing some natural fabrics. One recipe is to boil a handful of wheat bran in a litre of water for several minutes, strain through gauze and use the gruel for cleaning.

7. Мытье жирных волос ржаным хлебом.
    150 г ржаного хлеба залить кипятком. Кашицей «намылить» голову, держать 5 - 10 минут. Затем промыть тщательно водой. Для придания волосам красивого блеска их ополаскивают настоем березовых листьев

Now this is a recipe for a rye bran shampoo paste I suppose but the mozilla translation isn’t that good so if sb please could…?

Length
    d.n.a/neck/mo'h.
    Type
    1b/M/i

Well... I tried to shampoo with boiled oat flakes yesterday... It was a disaster. Not only didn't it cleanse, but dried out my hair

Type
    1a/1b/M/C/iii

I'd rather use the liquid for cleansing, that would make more sense to me. I know you can cleanse your hair with rice water, the water you rinsed unpeeled rice in.
    At true tailbone!