Thread: Herbal vinegars and tinctures for hair

Length
    chin/bcl/?
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Default Herbal vinegars and tinctures for hair

Although I don't have problems taking pills, I know that quite a few people do, and thought I'd remind everyone how easy it is to make your own herbal vinegars and tinctures to help your hair!

Tinctures are usually made using alcohol as the base, frequently 100-proof vodka. You can use both fresh and dried herbs. Tinctures act very quickly on the body. Alcohol can be harsh to take on its own orally, so you can mix them with juice or water before drinking.
    A simple recipe is to take an ounce of a dried herb (or fresh, but you will require more), put it in a pint-sized jar (should fill 1/3 of the jar), and fill the jar to the top with alcohol. Cap it tightly and leave for 6 weeks. You can leave it for much longer; it will get stronger and more effective the longer it is left.

Herbal vinegars are vinegars infused with herbs. The best vinegar to use for this is Apple Cider vinegar. These are more versatile than tinctures, because you can add them to salads and other foods, and some of them actually taste very good.
    The easiest recipe for a herbal vinegar is to fill any sized jar with the dried or fresh herb, and fill to the top with vinegar. Do not use a metal lid, as the vinegar will corrode it. Cover well and put in a cool place - it will be ready in 6 weeks.

I'm in the process of making a herbal vinegar infusion for my hair containing Horsetail, Stinging Nettle, Green tea, and Seaweed. I don't expect it will taste very good!

Other good herbs and plants for hair that you could use are:

-Saw Palmetto (especially for men)
    -Burdock root
    -Nasturtium
    -Dong quai (especially for women)
    -Aloe Vera
    -Primrose

*Please be sure to do your research before taking any herb internally, and remember that a healthy diet is better than any supplement you can take. Most herbs are not meant to be taken daily for long periods of time, some have a cumulative effect, etc. This is meant as a very general outline only.

I am sure there are many herbs that I don't know about, as well as some good recipes, so if anyone wants to share ideas here, that would be great!

"Our life is frittered away by detail...simplify, simplify." ~Thoreau

Length
    21/47.5/?
    Type
    2c/M/C/ii

Default Re: Herbal vinegars and tinctures for hair

I quite like the tincture idea... "Mmm, yes, it's medicinal, why do you ask?"

The infused vinegars, though - will you be using them as a rinse, instead of regular ACV? Or are you planning on ingesting them as well? Might make for some interesting salads!

Length
    chin/bcl/?
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

I'm going to take them internally! That's why I said that my mixture probably won't taste that great. There are many that taste really nicely and can be used on salads and beans and so on, but mine will probably be kinda funky. We'll see in 6 weeks from now!

For some reason I like the idea of taking liquid medicines more than pills. Supposedly they are also more easily absorbed by the body this way.

"Our life is frittered away by detail...simplify, simplify." ~Thoreau

Length
    bob/TBL/TBL
    Type
    2c/F/M/iii

This is kind of a different twist, but has anyone tried tinctures (diluted) on hair? Like catnip tincture, for example?
    Reached classic mid 2014, cut back to hip. Now at tbl and liking the length

Type
    1b/1c/F/M/i/ii

Basically a tincture is a herb infused in alcohol. Alcohol is extremely drying on hair therefore I wouldn't recommend using any tincture on hair, even diluted, catnip or otherwise.

Length
    21"/39"/44"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

I did an ACV infused with catnip. It's from April 2009, I'm not sure if I can still use it though. I could tell much deference between it and regular ACV though.

Soft hair that is nice to sit on - now I'm bragging!

Length
    bob/TBL/TBL
    Type
    2c/F/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by clairenewcastle View Post
    Basically a tincture is a herb infused in alcohol. Alcohol is extremely drying on hair therefore I wouldn't recommend using any tincture on hair, even diluted, catnip or otherwise.
    many tinctures are in glycerin
    Reached classic mid 2014, cut back to hip. Now at tbl and liking the length