Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Conditioning and Backne

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Default Re: Conditioning and Backne

I have read about this on makeupalley.com in conditioner reviews.

Another solution may be just to wash and condition your hair all forward. I have been washing my hair "upside down" for years.

Length
    22.5/BSL/??
    Type
    1c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by linda g View Post
    This is what I do. I keep a giant clip in the shower, so as soon as I finish my hair, I clip it up out of the way, then wash my body.
    This is what I do as well. When I first started CO'ing I did find it gave me some acne on my back, so I just had to change my routine a bit to making sure I wash off my back after I rinse out my conditioner. No more backne!

Length
    2"/Calf/evs
    Type
    1c/M/iii

I wash my hair upside down as well. Totally solved the problem for me. I didn't get backne, per se, but my back would itch so badly from residual conditioner that I just wanted to crawl out of my skin! I should note that I leave a generous amount of conditioner in my hair, so it was getting all over my back, full strength. Ick.
    Islandgrrl - Izzie
    Calf length, heading south to lengths unknown.

Length
    27/BSL/Waist
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

I'm pretty sure conditioner gave me bacne, but it could have just been because it contained cones. It stopped when i started washing my hair upside down at any rate.

Length
    APL/waist/TB
    Type
    1b/M/ii

For me, a coney conditioner would give me bacne.
    No cones, and the spots are gone within a week.

I did an experiment with my conditioners once to see if it was the cones or not, and those were the results I got. Another advantage to going cone free!!!

compulsive stuff-maker walterSCAN's Avatar
    Length
    15"/~TBL/FTL
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by UncommonTart View Post
    I always wash my hair first thing in the shower and then I'll get out, wrap it up in a turbi-towel, and get back in to wash the rest of me. This has helped a great deal with the backne for me. It also keeps my hair out of my way while I wash the rest of me.
    This is brilliant! I'm going to have to try it as soon as I get a turbi...

Length
    12/48/term
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

I invested in a cheap bad scrubber on a long handle for in the shower. I usually use an 'apricot' scrub like St. Ives(I also use this on my face, twice a week). It helps immensely.
    Hippie at Heart

Length
    shldr/waist/hip
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

To avoid backne I put my hair in a conditioning cap while the conditioner soaks in, so that the conditioned hair isn't just laying against my back aggravating the issue. When I rinse my hair, I arch my back so that my hair doesn't touch my back while the water runs down it. I have a hand-held shower head, which I position right on my hairline so the water flows through my whole length. That part might be a little harder with shorter hair. I think when it was APL-BSL I would rinse the length by tiling my head to the side and pointing the water at a downward diagonal toward it.

If you have a SO, ask him or her to wash your back every so often. Have them use their nails to gently remove dead skin and emerging sebum plugs that haven't left the skin yet. Backs are at double threat of acne not just because of all the conditioner, but because we can't properly exfoliate the skin ourselves. If you don't have someone who can wash your back, get a long handled brush with stiff bristles and use that to wash your back. You get best results cleaning your back after rinsing the conditioner (same goes for washing your face.)

When you step out of the shower, gently remove the excess water from your hair, and then lift your hair and dry your back. Try not to let damp water sit directly on your back for very long.
    01/07/2010, now at waist length (30").
    I'm a work in progress.

Length
    16"/33/????
    Type
    2c/F/i/ii

Conditioners with cones caused my bacne.
    I had it for years.
    I haven't had bacne since going cone-free three years ago. And yes, I still let the conditioner sit in my hair on my back while I shower, but no bacne now.
    It was the cones that did it.
    ​Babyfine and superrrrr thin. Growing long anyway!
    Lady Kan-Yu, Lawspeaker of Heaven and Earth in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    Short/IDK/Hip
    Type
    4b/F/M/ii

I have bacne year round (for some reason it got really bad this year) but I only condition once a week so I don't think it's the conditioner. I think mine is related to not exfoliating like I should and wearing lots of layers of clothes and sweating under them.

But since you think it's your conditioner, I would go with the suggestions of putting your hair up and rinsing away from your body.
    IMHO, one can never have too much conditioner. ~Proverb from a PJ~
    Lady Bey of Twilight Cloud in the Order of the LongHaired Knights