Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First hair toy suggestions?

Length
    Bob/BSL/Hip+
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

Default First hair toy suggestions?

I'm looking to start using something other than a hair tie to secure my hair but I'm completely unsure of what might work for me or be somewhat simple to use. I've seen so many pretty hair accessories that make my plain ponytails seem even more boring lol!

how to take a screen shot

This is my hair if that helps. Thanks for any suggestions!

Sunscreen obsessed weirdo kaydana's Avatar
    Length
    BSL/TBL/TBL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Default Re: First hair toy suggestions?

I'd start with a hair stick. They can be bought relatively cheaply and they're easy to use. As a rough guide for length; twist your hair into a bun, measure the diameter, and get a stick about two inches longer.

I recommend Eaduard Hairsticks (on etsy), get one of the acrylic ones, I've rarely worn anything else since I got one (I say one, I mean four).

Length
    18/Cl/Term
    Type
    2c/M/ii

I agree with kaydana, EaduardHairsticks is a good place to start. I don't own any myself, but LHCers love them because they're sturdy and reasonably priced. And the advantage with acrylic sticks is that you don't have to worry about getting them wet.

Let me know if you'd like some tutorials for quick and easy hair stick buns.

Length
    Buzz/Calf/Class

Quote Originally Posted by Lyv View Post
    I'm looking to start using something other than a hair tie to secure my hair but I'm completely unsure of what might work for me or be somewhat simple to use. I've seen so many pretty hair accessories that make my plain ponytails seem even more boring lol!

This is my hair if that helps. Thanks for any suggestions!
    Welcome to your journey to experimenting with hair toys or hair tools. The only way you'll discover what you personally like is through trial and error. First of all "Simple" or "Simple to use" will be different to everyone. What is simple to me may not be "simple" to you. since your hair is gorgeous and uniquely different, i'd suggest you start experimenting with different buns using smoothed down chopsticks or even pencils if you don't want to buy anything immediately, because in the world of hair sticks prices range from .01 cents to over $100 for just one stick, and same goes for forks and other hair toys.

It's like picking shampoos and conditioners, which ones will work best (which I still haven't figured it out in my journey) for my own particular hair. I would definitely visit the particular kinds of hair toy threads around here that captivates you and read as much about it and then ask any particular questions or advice you may need in that thread. What do you want to wear on a daily basis? Forks, sticks, spin pins, etc. The only way you can venture into this is if you have explored doing basic buns first like I suggested earlier. You are i'm guessing at the breaking point of really getting to know your hair well through this part of your journey. If you already know your hair it will make it a lot easier for you to choose what you'd like to try out first. Because, depending on what you like to do will coincide with a particular hair toy or tool. For example, for me I discovered that I have grippy hairs because I first experimented using a pencil in my cinnabun and it held all day. Since I know that, I can proceed at looking at hair toy threads that talks about one stick updos like Eaduaward hair sticks. Acrylic material might be too slippery for someone who naturally has silky slippery hair as opposed to someone who has very coarse, thick and grippy hairs. You starting to get my drift? Anyways, you've opened up a can of worms to your question, and I wish you a happy journey experimenting with hair toys you'd like to wear because these tools really make life so much simpler whilst protecting the hair.
    Last edited by rowie; October 3rd, 2013 at 12:12 PM. Reason: added more

Length
    18/Cl/Term
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by rowie View Post
    Welcome to your journey to experimenting with hair toys or hair tools. The only way you'll discover what you personally like is through trial and error. First of all "Simple" or "Simple to use" will be different to everyone. What is simple to me may not be "simple" to you. since your hair is gorgeous and uniquely different, i'd suggest you start experimenting with different buns using smoothed down chopsticks or even pencil's if you don't want to buy anything immediately, because in the world of hair sticks prices range from .01 cents to over $100 for just one stick, and same goes for forks and other hair toys.
    This is a great idea. I used a pencil for about six months when I started learning hair stick buns (I'd got bored of my usual cinnabun and spin pin combination). When I got fed up with breaking the pencil in my hair, I discovered a slim metal crochet hook I had lying around the house and I used that for a year. Finally, I bought a ketylo hair stick off the swap board.

Now that I've more or less figured out what length of stick I need for various updos, I'm leisurely window shopping around etsy while I decide what to spend my money on.

Length
    MBL/to/HIP
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

I just purchased my first hair toy, an acrylic stick from Eaduard. In addition to what i ordered he included a wooden bonus stick as well. So glad he did because the wooden stick seems to work better in my slippery hair. My hair is about your length and layered.

I also picked up my first set of spin pins this week and LOVE THEM!! Especially since they hide so well in a bun... I can use the spin pins to keep the bun in place and buy more pretty acrylics from ed to pretty up my bun while using the pins. When my hair gains a couple more inches the sticks should be enough. Hope to have a nice collection started by then.

Length
    Bob/BSL/Hip+
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by kaydana View Post
    I'd start with a hair stick. They can be bought relatively cheaply and they're easy to use. As a rough guide for length; twist your hair into a bun, measure the diameter, and get a stick about two inches longer.

I recommend Eaduard Hairsticks (on etsy), get one of the acrylic ones, I've rarely worn anything else since I got one (I say one, I mean four).
    Thanks so much for the suggestion! I took a look and I really like the different colors so if I decide to buy one I think that's probably where I'll start!

Quote Originally Posted by melusine963 View Post
    I agree with kaydana, EaduardHairsticks is a good place to start. I don't own any myself, but LHCers love them because they're sturdy and reasonably priced. And the advantage with acrylic sticks is that you don't have to worry about getting them wet.

Let me know if you'd like some tutorials for quick and easy hair stick buns.
    I'd love to see any tutorials you have as I am completely clueless!

Quote Originally Posted by rowie View Post
    Welcome to your journey to experimenting with hair toys or hair tools. The only way you'll discover what you personally like is through trial and error. First of all "Simple" or "Simple to use" will be different to everyone. What is simple to me may not be "simple" to you. since your hair is gorgeous and uniquely different, i'd suggest you start experimenting with different buns using smoothed down chopsticks or even pencils if you don't want to buy anything immediately, because in the world of hair sticks prices range from .01 cents to over $100 for just one stick, and same goes for forks and other hair toys.

It's like picking shampoos and conditioners, which ones will work best (which I still haven't figured it out in my journey) for my own particular hair. I would definitely visit the particular kinds of hair toy threads around here that captivates you and read as much about it and then ask any particular questions or advice you may need in that thread. What do you want to wear on a daily basis? Forks, sticks, spin pins, etc. The only way you can venture into this is if you have explored doing basic buns first like I suggested earlier. You are i'm guessing at the breaking point of really getting to know your hair well through this part of your journey. If you already know your hair it will make it a lot easier for you to choose what you'd like to try out first. Because, depending on what you like to do will coincide with a particular hair toy or tool. For example, for me I discovered that I have grippy hairs because I first experimented using a pencil in my cinnabun and it held all day. Since I know that, I can proceed at looking at hair toy threads that talks about one stick updos like Eaduaward hair sticks. Acrylic material might be too slippery for someone who naturally has silky slippery hair as opposed to someone who has very coarse, thick and grippy hairs. You starting to get my drift? Anyways, you've opened up a can of worms to your question, and I wish you a happy journey experimenting with hair toys you'd like to wear because these tools really make life so much simpler whilst protecting the hair.
    Thanks for the advice! I went and tried both the pencil idea and chopsticks and while a pencil wouldn't seem to hold anything (maybe because all I had on hand was mechanical?) a chopstick has been holding a decent disc bun for a while now! I'll definitely keep experimenting and asking questions to help me on my way.

Quote Originally Posted by melusine963 View Post
    This is a great idea. I used a pencil for about six months when I started learning hair stick buns (I'd got bored of my usual cinnabun and spin pin combination). When I got fed up with breaking the pencil in my hair, I discovered a slim metal crochet hook I had lying around the house and I used that for a year. Finally, I bought a ketylo hair stick off the swap board.

Now that I've more or less figured out what length of stick I need for various updos, I'm leisurely window shopping around etsy while I decide what to spend my money on.
    Hmm it never occurred to me that I could try a crochet hook, I have tons of those in different lengths and in metal/plastic/wood. Maybe that would help me determine whether I'd like to try an acrylic or wood hair stick! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by sourgrl View Post
    I just purchased my first hair toy, an acrylic stick from Eaduard. In addition to what i ordered he included a wooden bonus stick as well. So glad he did because the wooden stick seems to work better in my slippery hair. My hair is about your length and layered.

I also picked up my first set of spin pins this week and LOVE THEM!! Especially since they hide so well in a bun... I can use the spin pins to keep the bun in place and buy more pretty acrylics from ed to pretty up my bun while using the pins. When my hair gains a couple more inches the sticks should be enough. Hope to have a nice collection started by then.
    Ohh I've been eying some spin pins but wasn't sure about them, I think I'll go ahead and buy a couple and see if they'll work as well for me!

Length
    17/23/29
    Type
    3c/C/iii

you can also try a hairfork from Quecraft, either two or three prongs.
    they cost about $13 with s & h, you do have to wait about 3 weeks for them.
    But its an inexpensive way to dip your toe into forks.
    Quecraft is on etsy and on ebay.
    I like ketylo hairsticks the best of all the hairsticks I have tried.

and PrinceVesuvius (Cat) PrincessBob's Avatar
    Length
    21"/70.5"/69"
    Type
    1c/M/iii

Acrylic hair sticks are different in almost every respect from the feel and strength of any plastic crochet hook I have ever held. ^_^
    The Cereduin ♫Melody Maker♪ and Bard
    in the Order of the Long Haired Knights and
    CrochetWizard
    Credit Avatar:LemonJolly 2015 / Credit Siggy: Snuggles, September 2015

Length
    27 in/27 in/33 in
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Aaahh... So it begins. We'll see you on the hair toy addicts thread in two months Your hair is to die for, by the way.