Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you use oil on wet hair or on dry hair?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii/iii

Default Do you use oil on wet hair or on dry hair?

I'm really confused,i always oil my hair when it is wet becouse i read that if you always put oil on dry hair it will dehydrate it.
    What do you think?

Account Closed by Member Request

Default Re: Do you use oil on wet hair or on dry hair?

I think it completely depends on what oil you use, what your hair routine is, your hair type and health ... Unfortunately there aren't often straight answers when it comes to hair care That is why the LHC is such a great resource with all its diverse users

I personally oil when wet. I've used a few different oils, but at the moment I use Yangu oil straight after my leave-in conditioner. And apply some Shea butter after my hair's been in a turban for a little while. That seems to work fine for me!

But I think dry oiling has its benefits too (as a pre-shower treatment, for instance).

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Everybody is different, so try it both ways. I've decided that I get the best result by applying a little bit of coconut oil to damp hair.

Oil will not dehydrate hair. Essential fatty acids are absolutely essential for flexible, shiny hair, and oils supply it. You get good moisture in hair by drinking water, not by getting your hair wet, so oil absolutely positively does not interfere with or disturb the moisture balance.
    Last edited by spidermom; January 2nd, 2010 at 05:07 PM.

Type
    1c/M/C/ii/iii

Thank you for the answers,i read that oil on dry hair dehydrate it becouse hair is formed by a part of sebum and a part of water,if we add only oil the hair it soake it..

sorry for my bad english >.< i'm italian

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    15/26/49
    Type
    3a/M/iii

Yes, I oil when wet too. It works really well.

Length
    22/33/36
    Type
    2c/F/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by roryx View Post
    Thank you for the answers,i read that oil on dry hair dehydrate it becouse hair is formed by a part of sebum and a part of water,if we add only oil the hair it soake it..

sorry for my bad english >.< i'm italian
    Parlo italiano! Mi dispiace per il mio italiano brutto, sono Americano

I use Argon oil when wet, but a few LHCers have told me to use coconut oil as a deep conditioner and I use EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) and honey as a deep conditioner. It's all trial and error, as I am learning.
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle
    apl-bsl-waist-hip

Length
    Waist/Waist/Hip
    Type
    3a/3b/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by jesis View Post

I use Argon oil when wet...
    Does Argon oil have a scent?

I oil wet and dry. I use coconut oil and it makes my hair soooo soft! I use it instead of a leave-in...it's cheaper and works wonderfully.

On wash days, I load up on oil and wash.

Length
    22/33/36
    Type
    2c/F/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by kteachone View Post
    Does Argon oil have a scent?

I oil wet and dry. I use coconut oil and it makes my hair soooo soft! I use it instead of a leave-in...it's cheaper and works wonderfully.

On wash days, I load up on oil and wash.
    Well.. to be more precise, I use Healthy Sexy Hair's Argan oil. (Sorry I mispelled it before.) It is full of cones, but the real stuff is expensive and I had bought a new bottle of this right before joining LHC. Whenever I run out, I'm going to go for the real stuff. But I can put a TON of Argan oil in my hair and it won't make it greasy. In fact, I noticed that when my hair was growing the fastest, and I was getting the most compliments, was when I was using HSH's Argan Oil. It really does work!

Coconut oil made my hair INCREDIBLY soft. I've only used it twice, experimenting. I noticed my hair would get a lot more tangled. It was unmanageable. I almost feel like it made my hair have a "cotton candy" look. I would lose all of my curl by the end of the day and I would be left with this mess of frizz. I'm going to try using it in an SMT instead, to see if that might give me better results.
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle
    apl-bsl-waist-hip

Length
    15/40/tbd
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Historically, I have put a little oil in my hair when it's damp. This week, however, I tried out a pre-wash argon oil treatment before my last wash and currently have a coconut oil pre-wash treatment wrapped up waiting for a shower to see how it goes.
    Lady Daybreak, keeper of the Stars & Sea ☽︎ artist, lover, general mystic

Length
    bald/waist/term?
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/i/ii

I oil when wet. I oiled dry hair for several months and then stopped because I got lazy. I'm glad I did because my hair was so dry and crispy that I was afraid I was going to have to cut it off. This may not be the case for you though, some people have better luck oiling dry hair. Perhaps you could dry each way for a couple of weeks and see what you prefer? I would also recommend experimenting with different oils as well.