Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pointy hair ends

Default Pointy hair ends

Hi everyone. I have been spending a little too much time scrutinizing my hair lately, and I've noticed that some of the shorter individual hairs thin out and taper, coming to pointy tips. I've searched through this forum, but most of the results discuss the shape of the hair ends as a whole, as in "fairy tale ends," not the individual hairs. In my case, these pointy hairs thin out over the last 1/2 inch or so. The ends are not split, just weirdly pointy. I've been pretty good to my hair lately: no 'poo since mid-October, hair sticks, wet my hair no more than once a week, no rubbing with towels.

Now the question: is this what new growth looks like, or is this some kind of damage? Should I be dusting/S&D-ing these or leave them be?

Length
    ~APL/26.5/34 in
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Default Re: Pointy hair ends

That's most likely new growth! I have a lot of short (2-4 inches)hairs that do the same thing...I know it's new growth because I haven't cut in a long time.

Type
    1b/F/M/ii

That sounds like new growth to me. I think some people S&D them, so they are blunt at the end and lie better, but I leave mine. Without cones or oil, they tend to stick out in my hair, but with either cones or oil, they lie flat.

Length
    pixie/BSL+/waist
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/i/ii

Yup, that's what a healthy, virgin (uncut) hair looks like.

Congratulations!
    <--- It'll get there again
    You gave your life to become the person you are right now. Was it worth it? -- Richard Bach, Ilusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah

Length
    <2"/~clsc/uhh..
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

That is new growth. The ends are usually blunt when they've been broken or cut, which means the pointy end has come off. The hair starts out pointy kind of like a blade of grass. If the grass is mowed or torn it's no longer tapered and pointy, but if left unchecked that's how it grows.

Ah, okay. I'll leave them alone, then. I thought at first that it was damage, because it looks almost as if the hair has been pulled off violently. But, there are so many of these ends that I can't imagine what I could have done to cause so much damage. Also, quite a few of these new pointy hairs are only 1" long, which means they are two months old--dating back to my no 'poo switch.

I will count this new growth among the nice side effects of not using shampoo!

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Everybody who isn't bald sheds old growth and gets new pointy growth all the time, regardless of what is or isn't used, like shampoo, which is a good product for hair as long as you aren't allergic to anything in it.

Well, those of us who have given up shampoo all have our reasons I used to find big clumps of hair in the shower drain every time I shampooed, and this has not been the case since I stopped. I see your point--not using shampoo does not necessarily translate into increased or accelerated growth. It certainly won't make new follicles sprout up all over one's scalp--nothing can. On the other hand, I also think that it might just be possible that the scalp benefits when it is given a break from absorption accelerants and other synthetic compounds with effects that are not fully known even to the manufacturers. But then, who knows. I feel safer knowing that the methods I've switched to (egg, shikakai, camomile and black tea rinses, etc.) have been used for hair care for centuries with no ill effect. I also see some real changes for the better in how my hair feels and looks, but, as you said, plenty of people use commercial shampoo to no ill effects. To each her own.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by bumblebums View Post
    Well, those of us who have given up shampoo all have our reasons I used to find big clumps of hair in the shower drain every time I shampooed, and this has not been the case since I stopped. I see your point--not using shampoo does not necessarily translate into increased or accelerated growth. It certainly won't make new follicles sprout up all over one's scalp--nothing can. On the other hand, I also think that it might just be possible that the scalp benefits when it is given a break from absorption accelerants and other synthetic compounds with effects that are not fully known even to the manufacturers. But then, who knows. I feel safer knowing that the methods I've switched to (egg, shikakai, camomile and black tea rinses, etc.) have been used for hair care for centuries with no ill effect. I also see some real changes for the better in how my hair feels and looks, but, as you said, plenty of people use commercial shampoo to no ill effects. To each her own.
    Absolutely.

For posterity, in case someone else has the same question: the following chart lists taper as one of the types of split end damage: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...4&postcount=19

So it could be new growth OR damage, and it's hard to know which without examining the hair under the microscope.

The reason I was worried about these is that I sometimes find hairs like that among the ones I shed. If this was all new growth, it would mean that some of my follicles have an anagen span of 2 months. This is not only frightening but kind of improbable... A more likely explanation for at least some of those shed hairs is that they were torn off by my boar bristle brush, which I have since banished.

Conclusion: there are known knowns, there are known unknowns, and then there are pointy hair ends.