Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Salons that Apply Henna?

Type
    1c/F/i

Default Salons that Apply Henna?

Hi, I was just looking over the henna post and while it looks very beneficial and the sort of thing I'd like done, it also looks very complicated and risky.

My question is, does anyone know if there are hair salons that specialize in henna/indigo application? I live in central Florida.

I really want to go back to my natural color so I never have to henna or color again. I used to be a blonde (brunette naturally) then I had a semi-permanent done in an attempt to reach this goal but now the color has faded and is 3 or 4 shades lighter than my natural color. My virgin roots are about 1.5 inches. But I am afraid to try the henna/indigo myself.

Any recommendations?

Length
    BSL/BCL/CL
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: Salons that Apply Henna?

Quote Originally Posted by Deemeeuh View Post
    Hi, I was just looking over the henna post and while it looks very beneficial and the sort of thing I'd like done, it also looks very complicated and risky.

My question is, does anyone know if there are hair salons that specialize in henna/indigo application? I live in central Florida.

I really want to go back to my natural color so I never have to henna or color again. I used to be a blonde (brunette naturally) then I had a semi-permanent done in an attempt to reach this goal but now the color has faded and is 3 or 4 shades lighter than my natural color. My virgin roots are about 1.5 inches. But I am afraid to try the henna/indigo myself.

Any recommendations?

I don't know of any, but you say you want to go back to your natural color so you won't have to henna again, so why are you trying to do a henna/indigo?
    I dont think many hair salons that would have hairdressers willing to risk getting henna stains on their hair.. sorry I'm not much of a help. Good luck with this though.

ETA: I completely missed that you said you're a brunette, when you said "i used to be a blonde" I thought that was your natural color. Sorry about that.

Length
    BUZZ/APL/???
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

I'm sure there are stylists who would apply it for you, but I can't begin to imagine how much it would cost! It's a pretty time-intensive process between the mixing, dye-release, application and 'stewing' time, and I'd imagine that they would charge dearly for their time...

IMO, henna isn't really all that difficult to apply at home, and for me it seems to be pretty forgiving of 'user error' when it comes to mixing/application. Your biggest issue is going to be the mess, but as long as you take your time during application (and keep some babywipes handy - they are invaluable for wiping off streaks/smears!) you can keep the mess pretty well-contained.

As an alternative, you could always try to enlist the help of a friend - I have done my friend's hair several times and with two sets of hands it's a piece of cake to do a headful of hair!
    F/ii/goodbye henna!

Type
    1c/F/i

Hm yeah I didn't think about the time intensive part, good point. I think in my current situation though it would truly be worth a large bundle of money if a professional could give me a perfect henna/indigo color match to my natural color. I just want my virgin hair back!

See because with the doing it myself, what I am worried about is color matching. My natural hair color is a medium to dark brown (gets some subtle blonde and red highlights in the sun). I really want the henna/indigo to match that.
    But I've heard a lot of people say that even if you mix the two, the indigo tends to fade to red? Which is the current problem with my roots- the length of my hair is a bit too light and warm to match them. My natural color is rather cool even with sun highlighting.

Should I just give in and do a second brown semi-permanent chemical dye...? My hair has been put through so much chemically and heat related in the past 3 years, I'd be afraid that would fry it. Plus then that coloring will fade from the porous length (which was originally blonde) so the roots will show again and I'll be back into the chemical cycle

I just don't know what to do.. but it has to be something.. I can't stand these roots and I'm afraid I'll do something very bad like get fed up and go back to blonde which I loved being but was so bad for my hair and would probably make my hair dissolve to go back to again. *cries*

Length
    BUZZ/APL/???
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

Well, no matter who applies it you will need to do swatch/strand tests to check how the color turns out. Henna/Indigo aren't the kinds of things you want to jump into without doing the right prep, since they don't work like chemical colors. Why not purchase sample size portions and do some experiments and find a mix that will get you the color you want?
    F/ii/goodbye henna!

Type
    1c/F/i

You're right, I should definitely not jump into henna. Sample sizes sound like a good starting point!

By the way, your signature picture is so cute! It reminds me of the Mary Janice Davidson book cover, "Undead and Unworthy"

fightin' in satin tights Kuchen's Avatar
    Length
    18/27/34
    Type
    1c/M/ii

I think Wavelength had a friendly local Indian salon where a lady would apply henna to her hair, and she could then wrap her head up in a towel and go home to let it "set".

Type
    1c/F/i

Ooooh thanks, I will ask her about that

Friend of the Semicolon florenonite's Avatar
    Length
    SL/MBL/Hip
    Type
    2a/F/iii

I don't think a salon would be any better a colour matching than you yourself would be, tbh. The colour that henndigo yields is reliant upon the starting colour, and it can't really be estimated very easily.
    Lady Nehalennia of the Mirrored-Seas in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

SL / APL / SBL / MBL / WL / HIP / BCL / TB

Type
    1c/F/i

Nuts.
    This seems like such an iffy thing to try.. even with doing strand tests first. Because even if I miraculously get the exact shade of my hair that's not accounting for fading of the indigo and reddening. And red is nowhere near my natural color.
    It's looking like my best bet may be yet another dye job. Professionally done of course and semi-permanent but it still has some levels of peroxide which lead to even more breakage and lost length.