Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thin, fine, wurlies . . . are you out there?

Length
    Pixie/BSL/BSL
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Thin, fine, wurlies . . . are you out there?

I'm discovering that my hair has gotten much thinner the past few years (as I've gotten much older). Also, my grays, erm, silvers are very, very fine. Figuring out what to do with my hair has been an enormous challenge, especially as I'm letting it grow long again.

I am attempting Wurly Girl-type techniques, but my thin hair seems to be falling a bit flat. My husband likes my hair worn wurly, rather than combed, as he thinks it gives it more "style." I like it, too, but it's quite a different look for me, so it's somewhat of an adjustment. I'm neither straight nor curly, and I don't have the thickness I used to (which is depressing). I'm feeling really blah about my hair right now, and kind of down due to its thinness and betwixt-between texture.

Anyone else out there in texture limbo land? I could sure use a few wurl-friends!!!
    Proud Member of the Renegray Gang
    Lady Arethusa of the Gossamer Garden in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

Default Re: Thin, fine, wurlies . . . are you out there?

I have fine hair that wants to be curly. It can be difficult, becuase most curly girls seem to have very thick hair. Also, the products which help curly hair strut its stuff can often weigh down fine hair.

One thing I tried recently was using bendy foam rollers (with no product). This controlled the curl (while letting it happen, if you see what I mean), and made the hair seem fuller by lifting it from the scalp a little.

Give it a bash. It only took four rollers for my hip-length hair, and you can always wash it out if you don't like it.

Type
    2b/2c/F/i

Mine is fine, curly in places, only wavy in others, and prone to frizz/extreme dryness. I use coconut oil on mine, and drip dry it. This gives me some decent clumpy curls (ringlets really), but does mean the top is very flat.

Length
    Pixie/BSL/BSL
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Hi, Boudicca! Thanks for the reply. I've got the same issue -- fine hair that wants to be wurly (or wurly-ish), but finding the right products and the right amount to use is a challenge. Thank you for the roller suggestion! I probably won't try them, mainly because I'm too lazy and impatient to hunt them down and put something like that in my hair, but you never know -- I might get so fed up with my hair that I'll give it a go.

I really appreciate your response. Your hair looks nice and curly from your siggy pic. Have you typed it yet?

Length
    Pixie/BSL/BSL
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Hi, Pelicano! Yep, mine is getting really flat on top, too. Yesterday I tried gelling my hair when it was dripping wet, and raking in the gel with my fingers with my head upside down and then scrunching. It definitely helped to lift my hair at the roots, but I think I put in too much product and now the rest of my hair is flat and stringy. *Sigh* Oils don't seem to work for me at all, unfortunately, so I need to stick with something relatively light and oil free. We definitely have challenging hair types, don't we?!

Length
    Pixie/U-BSL/Happy
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

I don't have any concretic advice, just wanted tot pop in to say that I LOVE how fine, thinner curly and wurly hair looks, it's so angelic and weightless and ethereal Something a very thick, blanket-like curly hair can never be!

Always behave like a duck -
    keep calm and unruffled on the surface but paddle like the devil underneath.

Length
    Pixie/BSL/BSL
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Thank you, Arctic! I'm not feeling that way about myself right now, but your kind and encouraging words are very helpful and just what I needed to hear!

Banned
    Length
    SL/Waist/Hips
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

Not sure if this is what you want to hear, but for me it works. I still color my hair and find that when I do my grays are more thicker. I usually do just my roots.

Length
    16/23/waist
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Hi

I am in a limbo world too, especially now that I am growing out bleach, colour, etc. (back to LHC after 5 years of chemicals). I am happy to meet others with a similar hair type

I've been experimenting with natural products and recipes found on the boards for the past while. I am currently on CWC every other day. I use a variation of AGO with no oil for styling and my hair is springing into more defined wurls and the top is not weighted down. That might change with the length increasing but for now: less product is the best for my hair Air drying seems to really give it a lot of body too (perhaps, it's also the absence of blow frying)
    "The best way to make your dreams come true is to wake up." (Paul Valery)

Length
    Pixie/BSL/BSL
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Hi, Shanarana. It's great that coloring your hair makes it thicker. I'm an "all-natural" kind of gal and a Renegray, so you're right, that's not something I'll be doing. But I do find it interesting that it makes your grays thicker -- that's really cool! I think that post-menopause, many women experience thinning hair, even if they were somewhat gray before then, just due to the drastic hormonal changes. In the last year or two, I seem to have suddenly caught up to my age -- I always looked much younger than my actual age in the past. Sadly, no more. And my hair seems to be a "victim" of that as well.