Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Thin, fine, wurlies . . . are you out there?

Length
    Pixie/BSL/BSL
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: Thin, fine, wurlies . . . are you out there?

I must say that I'm horrified at how thin my hair has become. I realize now why "older" women cut their hair so short -- it is very frustrating to deal with thinning hair as we get older, especially if we are used to hair that is thicker and fuller and now just falls limp and flat. It really changes one's appearance . . . not to mention the loss of self-esteem and self-confidence.

I've never been one to spend a lot of time primping with my hair -- I'd rather it be just "wash and go" (or rather, "wash and air dry"). Color me sad and frustrated.
    Proud Member of the Renegray Gang
    Lady Arethusa of the Gossamer Garden in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

Length
    chin/SL/WL
    Type
    2a/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Pixna View Post
    I must say that I'm horrified at how thin my hair has become. I realize now why "older" women cut their hair so short -- it is very frustrating to deal with thinning hair as we get older, especially if we are used to hair that is thicker and fuller and now just falls limp and flat. It really changes one's appearance . . . not to mention the loss of self-esteem and self-confidence.

I've never been one to spend a lot of time primping with my hair -- I'd rather it be just "wash and go" (or rather, "wash and air dry"). Color me sad and frustrated.
    I, too, Pixna., I, too.
    My hair seems to be laying much flatter and limper than it did even last summer and I hate it. I've actually been comtemplating a bob, a collar-bone length bob with bangs/fringe. Fringe looks good on me and actually makes my hair look thicker, at least in front. My temple areas are thin, and the fringe gives it a fuller look.
    I had to grow the fringe out as it gets longer, though, as my pony circumference is 2" or less with full bangs/fringe but I can bump it up to 2.5" with all my hair in there. Yes, I DO understand why some older women cut their hair.
    THe only thing holding me back is I don't want to give in to what every older woman does in this area (uppermidwest USA) when they get past 40 and certainly past 50. I like being different and bucking the trend.
    I color, which probably doesn't help as well, because I hate the grey on me. Maybe if I quit coloring my fine hair would be healthier and "hang" better.
    The problem is is I love long hair and think I've always looked prettier and more feminine with longer hair. The super-short haircuts many women my age sport around here, including the inverted bob- don't suit me IMO (or my husbands) opinion. I have a square jaw line for one thing. But shoulder length hair might be better for me.
    I could still do most of the styles I do now. (French twist, sock bun, Half up, ponytail.) I don't wear braids or ponytails out in public because they really just showcase how thin my hair is.
    Last edited by Babyfine; December 31st, 2009 at 09:41 AM.
    Trying to grow my babyfine hair long/working on going natural

Length
    chin/SL/WL
    Type
    2a/F/i/ii

Plus-if I cut my hair shorter I could probable get away with diffusing more, too, for volume. MY goal has been healthy waist length hair but I've been re-thinking that goal of late. My stylist notices my thin hair around front, too, and I use Nioxin, but I also bought some emu-oil product to see if I can fill in thin spots.

Hi Pixna! While my hair is on the fine side, it is rather curly. I've been working loads of new techniques since I started doing research a couple of months ago. Recently I've tried a couple of these on my mother, who has very fine, very thin wurly hair. Her hair has reduced in thickness over 50% in the past 10 years, and understandably, she's been devastated. What I tried help so much, so I will share with you!

First, I had her wet her hair which she had washed the day before. Then I saturated it with a heavy conditioner and combed softly with a wide-tooth comb. She thought it would weigh her hair down, but I wasn't finished yet. I then had her turn her head upside down, then I scrunched a dime sized amount in and immediately plopped with an old t-shirt.

The cotton shirt soaked up a lot of product, so it didn't weigh her hair down. She plopped for a half hour, then took her hair out and I instructed her to not touch it!

While it was almost dry, I had her flip her hair over, and we tousled the roots, scrunched more, and flipped back and no more touching!

The result was the curliest, most voluminous hair I've ever seen on my mom! She looked fantastic!

She did say her hair 'felt heavy' but I think it's cause she's used to blow drying and brushing it out, and frizz is definitely 'lighter' than curls in this respect.

So I hope these tips might help you or anyone else!

Quote Originally Posted by treesandcoffee View Post
    ...then I scrunched a dime sized amount in and immediately plopped with an old t-shirt.
    Sorry, I meant dime sized amount of gel!

Length
    Pixie/BSL/BSL
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Babyfine, I like to buck the trend, too. I was such an idiot for cutting my waist-length hair to a pixie two and a half years ago. That's what a post-menopausal meltdown (and hot flashes) will do to a woman!

Although I'm past all that now, the physical fallout from the hormonal changes seems to have grabbed hold. I think if my hair were short now, it would look even worse, and I'd have to spend a ton of time (and a lot of money on products) just to get it to look halfway decent. For me, that's not an option. I also would look dreadful with bangs, and I don't have the patience to diffuse. So, I will just have to hang in there a while longer and hope that in another year my hair grows a lot longer and gains a little thickness (even a little would help!!).

In the meantime, though, I'm feeling so unattractive. Bah!!!

Length
    Pixie/BSL/BSL
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

treesandcoffee, thank you for your kind post and suggestions -- that was so very thoughtful of you!! Sounds like your mom is in the same boat as babyfine and I are!

I've actually done the procedure you described, except for the plopping part (because I just haven't gotten the hang of it). It has worked for me, kind of, sort of -- for about an hour. Then my hair droops again. Additional product makes it look worse (rather than holding it better). I'm sure if I tried stuff with polymers in it, it would help, but I prefer to go with more natural products. And, products are SO expensive! With what I've spent on various brands over the past month or two, I could probably feed and clothe a small country. It's pathetic, really.

But, thank you very much for your input. I may very well try it again soon!

Length
    chin/SL/WL
    Type
    2a/F/i/ii

Tres and coffee that sounds like a good idea. I already use a tiny amount of gel but plopping juwst doesn't work for me, alas! Makes my hair look "messy" rather than volumized-but maybe I"m not doing it right.

Pixna, I love your hair in your avatar! Pixies look terrible on me, and I ,too, have to spend a lot of time and heat styling to get my hair to look volumized, and straighten out the weird cowlicks, with a short cut. Unless I were to perm it(Now I can see why some older ladies cut their hair and perm it) But That's a look I DON"T want!!
    Short permed hair!!
    I'm thinking in 2010 of trying Cassia, letting it sit for dye release and then applying it for a couple of hours to stain my greys golden- and maybe it will look like salon highlights without the drying and damage. Plus maybe it will thicken and strengthen my hair-without the permanancey of henna- if I decide I don't like it.

Length
    Pixie/BSL/BSL
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Hi, Babyfine! I haven't used cassia -- I'm letting my silvers "glow." Surprisingly, they sort of look like "highlights" (at least in my mind they do!), except at my temples and the edges where they're very white. I hope the cassia works for you!

Yes, I think we've figured out why old ladies cut and do those poodle perms. I guess they believe the perm gives their hair more volume. I imagine all that perming makes the hair even thinner, though.

Thank you SO much for your kind words about my avatar pic. My hair is combed in that shot, but my husband prefers my hair wurly and not as tidy (combed only once after washing, and then air-dried and not combed again until the next washing). Wearing it that way is a real psychological adjustment for me, but I'm giving it a go. To me it looks messy and bedraggled, but he thinks it looks more "stylish." With my thinner hair, I feel like I look like a scraggly, scruffy mutt, but maybe it's just because of my "expectations" of what I WANT compared to what I actually HAVE. *sigh*

Here's hoping that 2010 gives us thick, lush wurls and a LOT more length!!!