Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Thin, fine, wurlies . . . are you out there?

Length
    17/45"/??
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Default Re: Thin, fine, wurlies . . . are you out there?

My hair feels thinner these days, too. It definitely isn't as thick as it used to be. I'm pretty confused as to how to handle it, since it doesn't want to be straight, and doesn't want to be curly.

Length
    Pixie/BSL/BSL
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Hi, Rusalka and SpinDance! Even if we don't have any great advice to share, it's comforting and reassuring to know we are not alone. How old are you both?

I use only products that are chemical free (I have done so for decades), and I only air-dry my hair. I think there's something about being the in 2 hair-type category that almost automatically puts us in Limbo Land. But having thin (or thinning or thinner) hair only adds to our frustration (at least it does to mine!). I used to have a lot of body in my hair, and now it's just limp. I'm glad I'm not alone, though. Not that I want anyone else to suffer -- but it's good to know that I'm not an anomaly.
    Proud Member of the Renegray Gang
    Lady Arethusa of the Gossamer Garden in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

Banned
    Length
    SL/Waist/Hips
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Pixna View Post
    Hi, Shanarana. It's great that coloring your hair makes it thicker. I'm an "all-natural" kind of gal and a Renegray, so you're right, that's not something I'll be doing. But I do find it interesting that it makes your grays thicker -- that's really cool! I think that post-menopause, many women experience thinning hair, even if they were somewhat gray before then, just due to the drastic hormonal changes. In the last year or two, I seem to have suddenly caught up to my age -- I always looked much younger than my actual age in the past. Sadly, no more. And my hair seems to be a "victim" of that as well.
    I totally understand...I would just let my grays go, but I'm not ready for that yet.

Banned
    Length
    SL/Waist/Hips
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

Have you tried products like Aloe Vera gel for scrunching? I find that helps me as well.

Length
    APL/MBL/Waist
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii/iii

I have the same hair type, though I don't have any grays and probably won't have for many years. I have started wearing my hair up in a split bun, an it makes my hair go from all poofy, dry, unruly, tangly and messy S-waves to this:

Yay for bun waves! The down side is, that it makes my past-BSL hair look shorter than APL.

Length
    Pixie/BSL/BSL
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Shanarana, yes, I've tried aloe vera for scrunching (well, actually, products that are mostly aloe vera with a few other things added), and it does work well. For me, the challenge is figuring out how much to use and when to put it in (when my hair is sopping wet or when it is just damp). I'm experimenting. Too much of it makes my hair look stringy and flat, which, with my thinner/thinning hair, doesn't help! But I think once I sort out the right amount and technique for me, it will be a boon.

Clarisse, your hair is gorgeous!! It looks so voluptuous in that shot of you, although your hair is a ii/iii, which is much thicker than mine. The buns waves suit you beautifully!
    Proud Member of the Renegray Gang
    Lady Arethusa of the Gossamer Garden in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

Type
    2b/2c/F/i

It's the weightlessness of mine that drives me mad. I am so envious of people who can actually feel their hair!! That's one thing the coconut oil does help a little with, at least.

Type
    2c/F/i/ii

Here I am. In limbo between 2c and 3a, growing out my hair from pretty short.

What works for me is occasional CO washing, and a slightly modified version of Neoma's hybrid wash:
    http://www.forums.longhaircommunity....e&articleid=97
    What I do is apply a thick conditioner, leave it on for a few minutes, than rinse for 10 seconds. Apply shampoo. Rinse the whole thing.
    I like to do it with a 2-in-1 shampoo in the second step.

Also, leave-ins hide a multitude of irregularities in the wave-pattern. They seem to make unruly hairs blend in more.

Length
    APL/MBL/Waist
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii/iii

Thank you, Pixna

My hair was actually ii before doing a cassia treatment. Cassia can stain silvers golden for about a month or so, though, so perhaps it's not for you...
    My grandmother got thinning hair about your age too, and the same thing happened to my mother a couple of years ago (she is about 5 years younger than you). The good news is, that their hair god thicker again - perhaps something hormonal.
    And even if it stays the way it is right now, thinner and finer hair can look gorgeous too! The wind can play with too thick and heavy hair. And it will never look light and flowing the way finer hair types do. Some people get migraines from long and thick hair too - a problem that us fine haired people won't ever get, no matter how long we grow our hair.
    And to be honest, your hair looks a lot better than what the average 55-year-old head of hair looks like where I live. If it wasn't for the grays, you could easily be mistaken for someone a lot younger, when being seen from the back

Length
    18/23.5/TB
    Type
    2c/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by Clarisse View Post
    I have the same hair type, though I don't have any grays and probably won't have for many years. I have started wearing my hair up in a split bun, an it makes my hair go from all poofy, dry, unruly, tangly and messy S-waves to this:

Yay for bun waves! The down side is, that it makes my past-BSL hair look shorter than APL.
    Wow Clarisse! I agree that your hair is beautiful!! You have a lot of fine hair and that's what creates this beautiful look. I have not a lot of fine hair that's wurlyish but not in an organized fashion... so I have troubles making it look as gorgeous as yours! I will keep checking in on this thread for more advice!

For personal reasons, my username was recently changed.
    Please PM me if you don't recognize me in your friends list!