Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blunt to remove layering?

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii/iii

Default Blunt to remove layering?

I have slightly past the shoulder somewhat layered hair (layers in front start at the chin and go down, and some short layers in the crown that tick me off almost daily)

I was thinking that come the warmer weather, to help close the gap and get rid of ALL the layers (and let those stupid short ones grow out faster), I would blunt my hair at my chin. It would relieve me of about 90% of my layering, and that would definitely make me feel better, but I wouldn't be able to ponytail hair at my chin if I got on my nerves.

What length can hair be ponytailed into a little stub? (I don't really have an answer for when mine was stub-able because it was millions of different links), I could blunt it a few inches below the chin, and that would be mostly layerless, and maybe be put into a stub?

Has anyone ever done the "chop to remove layers" thing? The short layers drive me nuts, so the less of a gap they have to grow to, the better it is. Lol.

But yeah, my hair frustrates me sometimes because I want it all one length and I figure a few months of a blunt cut that's too short to tail is worth it in the long run to remove the horrid short layering faster. It's not a lot of my hair, but the short layers are pretty short -- like 1" above my ear or something. Pretty bad. I want them gone, so would a chin length or slightly longer blunt in like May or so be a good plan?

Length
    shldr/class/dunno
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Try this: Pull your hair into a ponytail, put your finger just above the spot where you'd tie the ponytail, and then let your hair down - this is the point at which it needs to be probably half an inch longer than to pull it into a tiny baby ponytail.
    Lady Nêssa of the Fair-Feathered Flight in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

In my opinion, I would think of it this way. If you are bugged by the short layers, and it's not even that much of your hair, how annoyed will you be when ALL your hair is that length? I think you might just be better off waiting a while before trying to even it out. Just my

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii/iii

You see the layering that drives me nuts is the short layering up in the crown, like 1" above my ears. It's not much, it's not much hair at all. I would just be cutting my hair to my chin, not up to the very short layers. The idea would be so the very short layers catch up easier.

Length
    22/22/40
    Type
    2b/2c/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by OhioLisa View Post
    In my opinion, I would think of it this way. If you are bugged by the short layers, and it's not even that much of your hair, how annoyed will you be when ALL your hair is that length? I think you might just be better off waiting a while before trying to even it out. Just my
    I totally agree. I've been growing out some terrible layers and "texturizing" for a couple of months now and I'm finding that as the layers get longer, they blend into the rest of my hair better. Plus I get to keep my length. I would try to wait it out and see how it looks in a few weeks.

The part you want to cut is not the part that is bothering you, so I don't think cutting will help.

Length
    shldr/bsl/clsc
    Type
    1a/1b/C/i

Well, not sure if this will help but I have so far resisted The Chop to get rid of my layers, so now I have lovely artificial fairytale ends. There is always a silver lining somewhere

Length
    20/Hip/TB
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I agree with OhioLisa and others - maybe just wait awhile for the shorter layers to become more manageable. I started the growing process with layers up to my crown, and let me tell you - waiting was difficult but proved to be worth it. Now my shortest layer is a bit above shoulder length and very manageable. I'm waiting until I reach my goal of waist length to really start getting rid of all the layers, but to each his/her own. If you feel you must chop, at least wait a couple weeks to make sure you happy with your decision

January 2016

Type
    1b/F/ii

My experience of a chin length bob is that it's cute but irritating. I've never had another hairlength that got into so much, it fell into my mouth, my eyes, everything and it wasn't long enough to put up, the only thing I could use was a headband or small clips to pull my hair back a little. Never again

Length
    ?/26/30++
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

I'm another one that says don't cut. I'm also growing out layers (some are chin, some are shoulder, but my whole length is also one mess of tapering layers that look really bad if I pull them all together). With 'cones and hair gel, and if I wear my hair down and it's freshly washed, they aren't really noticeable. But braids taper down to thinner than a pencil.

While I have been trimming the length to try to get more thickness, yet still dealing with see-through ends, part of me thinks of doing what you suggest. But, as others mention, that length (on me) would be so annoying, and it would be another 5-7 years before my hair gets to the length it's at again, that I don't do it.

If thickness is your goal and you don't mind being short again, or if your hair grows really fast, then maybe cutting isn't so bad. I just know from personal experience that waiting and waiting to grow is frustrating...

good luck!

Katze
    Feb 2013, solid BSL again but shedding. Wondering if this is really terminal length. Hairtype 1b/2b, F/M, ii