Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Regarding Sodium Bicarbonate...

Question Regarding Sodium Bicarbonate...

Hi everyone!

Does anybody know if there are any side effects from prolonged use of baking soda as a method to clean the scalp and hair? And is there anyone here who sticks to said regimen? Just curious... ^_^

Account Closed by Member Request

Default Re: Regarding Sodium Bicarbonate...

I worked in a place where everything had to be coated in Sodium Bicarbonate, it burnt my skin, made it raw, my eyes, nose, mouth and hands were raw, red and ittitated.

I don't prefer it at all, due to the effects I had with working with it.

I don't think it's meant as a *daily* wash, maybe once a week or less often?

Length
    chin/bcl/?
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

I don't use it for every wash; just for very rare clarifying washes, however I have read of many people using it successfully for every shampoo. I'm not sure how it would work for daily or near-daily washes, but I know it is possible.

"Our life is frittered away by detail...simplify, simplify." ~Thoreau

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Some people use it regularly as shampoo, but I can't think of anyone here. (There are probably a few, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.) For me, and for many people, the basic pH makes hair feel horrible. A vinegar rinse can help bring it back, but it still leaves my hair feeling really stripped. I can't help thinking that my hair would not grow nearly as long if I used it on a regular basis.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    16"/33/????
    Type
    2c/F/i/ii

My hair loves it. I was using it every two weeks(for a few months), but then I read so much negative stuff about it that I stopped.
    I recently started using it again, my hair looks and feels great after a very diluted baking soda rinse.
    ​Babyfine and superrrrr thin. Growing long anyway!
    Lady Kan-Yu, Lawspeaker of Heaven and Earth in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Type
    2a/F/i/ii

Hi, I'm a newby and just been cruising over the boards for the last week.

I've been using baking soda as my sole means of washing my hair for coming up 3yrs now.

I used to be a daily hair washer as my hair just felt lank and greasy by the next day despite changing shampoos, trying natural etc. When I switched to BS I found that I *had* to go longer than daily washing (which was good because I was wanting to break the cycle that I was in).

I now wash my hair twice a week and use BS to do so (followed by apple cider vinegar rinse to smooth the hairs down).

My hairdresser was wowing over how soft my hair is and was surprised that I don't use conditioner and felt my hair was in great condition.

If used before your hair/scalp is ready for it (ie if you try to use it daily but your hair isn't actually dirty) then it is drying and will make your hair go like straw. Definitely need to push out the days as much as possible to find the balance. On about day 3-4 I am noticing the greasies and that's when I'll wash the next day (I usually start with my hair down on day 1 and day 2 and day 3-4 I am usually up in a messy bun or use a crochet caliometry to hide my roots at the front).

I've discovered I have waves and bounce that I never had while using shampoos.

Length
    16"?/29"/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

I've used it mixed with regular shampoo as a clarifying wash. I didn't like it at all. It left my hair much more dried out than a commercial clarifying shampoo. I'm sure hair type and water conditions would play into it.

I am not here to decorate your world

Length
    16"/33/????
    Type
    2c/F/i/ii

I think you will find that most of the people who have positive results with baking soda have curly hair.
    ​Babyfine and superrrrr thin. Growing long anyway!
    Lady Kan-Yu, Lawspeaker of Heaven and Earth in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Persistent Procrastinator teela1978's Avatar
    Length
    19/34/36
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

I've used it as a shampoo in a diluted form (a tablespoon or so in a couple cups of water, let sit on scalp, scrub and rinse a lot, follow up with a dilute vinegar rinse). It was very cheap, but didn't always cut the grease in my oily scalp. When it worked it worked very well.

Account Closed by Member Request

I've only tried baking soda once, and it didn't seem too bad. it's probably something that I'll do every once in a while when i feel like I need it.

i'm just switching back to CO wash only, so my rountine hasn't settled yet.

and yes, I have curly hair.