Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where Can One Get Petroleum-free Hair Elastics?

Length
    11/34/40-45
    Type
    3a/F/M/i/ii

Question Where Can One Get Petroleum-free Hair Elastics?

So I really enjoy being able to put my hair up in a mid-head ponytail. Gives it a bit of fluff and keeps it out of the way.

However, I HATE things made from oil, plastics and synthetic fabrics being some of them.

This limits my hair elastic pool significantly. Actually, it currently limits it to zero.

Anyone know where I might find natural rubber hairbands either bare or with a bamboo/organic cotton outer? I've been looking online and can't seem to find any. Perhaps I'm using the wrong search parameters?

Believe it or not, Whole Foods carries the synthetic kind!!

Any help would be AWESOME.
    Last edited by QueenAnne'sLace; March 6th, 2010 at 08:01 PM. Reason: forgot a g
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    In wildness is the preservation of the world. ~Henry David Thoreau

Length
    APL/TB/TB
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: Where Can One Get Petroleum-free Hair Elastics?

Well, I have no idea what Scunci's No Damage ponytail elastics are made of, probably nylon or something. They're basically a nylon stocking type tube cut into sections, each section rolling up a bit and becoming a ponytail elastic. Maybe you can't find a petroleum free ponytail, but I was just thinking you might be able to buy some bamboo or cotton stockings and try and make your own like Scunci's. They would probably be bigger and looser, and you'd have to loop it around more times, but it might work.

ETA: Another idea. You can find natural office rubber bands, and cover them. If you crochet, you can cover them with crochet stitches. Or you could sew a cover for them. I used to crochet covers for regular ponytails, I'm sure you could do the same with a rubber band.

Length
    chin/BSL/Hip
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by SimplyViki View Post
    You can find natural office rubber bands, and cover them.
    This is exactly what I was going to suggest! Making your own scrunchies isn't difficult, and it's probably your best bet for a non-synthetic hair tie. Natural rubber is sensitive to oils, but encasing it in a scrunchie would protect it pretty well, and you can always replace the rubber-band part when it breaks.

I don't think I've ever seen a non-synthetic hair elastic for sale.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I've seen small rubber bands available for braiding. Most of them say that they're made out of latex rubber.

Be aware of course that these things have a LOT of friction with hair and can break it pretty readily. You might be better off going with silicone-based hair ties. Blax may make some in ponytail sizes. Otherwise you could make your own scrunchies out of rubber bands or whatever non-petroleum clothing elastic you can find. A nice satin or silk fabric would protect your hair from getting torn to bits by the rubber band.

ETA: I don't want to start a big debate, but you are aware that petroleum is a naturally-occurring product, right? Yes, it has to be dug out of the ground and refined and all that stuff. Plant oils need to undergo all sorts of refining to be made into plastics too.
    Last edited by Anje; March 6th, 2010 at 10:32 PM.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    chin/bcl/?
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Apparently Scunci has some "eco" hair accessories out now, including bamboo hair bands: http://green-behavior.com/green-orga...s-elastics.htm

"Our life is frittered away by detail...simplify, simplify." ~Thoreau

Length
    11/34/40-45
    Type
    3a/F/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Anje View Post

ETA: I don't want to start a big debate, but you are aware that petroleum is a naturally-occurring product, right? Yes, it has to be dug out of the ground and refined and all that stuff. Plant oils need to undergo all sorts of refining to be made into plastics too.
    Yeah, it's not the oil itself that I don't like, it's the fact that once it's plastic, it won't break down and return to the earth. In general, I like things that are as close to their raw state as possible. I view our planet as having some level of self-awareness and purpose, an approach not everyone takes.

Soooo.. the boiled sap of the rubber tree is about the only thing I can think of that's stretchy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Length
    11/34/40-45
    Type
    3a/F/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by SimplyViki View Post

ETA: Another idea. You can find natural office rubber bands, and cover them. If you crochet, you can cover them with crochet stitches. Or you could sew a cover for them. I used to crochet covers for regular ponytails, I'm sure you could do the same with a rubber band.
    This is an AWESOME idea!!! I have some wool and I definitely can crochet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Length
    11/34/40-45
    Type
    3a/F/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by melikai View Post
    Apparently Scunci has some "eco" hair accessories out now, including bamboo hair bands: http://green-behavior.com/green-orga...s-elastics.htm
    I did see these at the store the other day, and I'm happy they are recycling plastic for their jaw clips and such (for people who use that kind of thing) but I'm not sure what kind of core they use inside the bamboo. Bamboo sure is soft, though...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Length
    11/34/40-45
    Type
    3a/F/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Roseate View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen a non-synthetic hair elastic for sale.
    Someone could make a boatload of money marketing one to natural stores!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Length
    16"?/29"/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

I always thought natural office type rubber bands were terribly damaging when used to band a ponytail. They cling to the hair and rip and tear at it. Or that's my experience with them in the distant past. I have some small scrunchie's that are elastic with a narrow fabric tube covering. I don't know why a real rubber band couldn't be substituted for the elastic. You could use any fabric to cover the rubber band.

I am not here to decorate your world