Thread: Protein drinks for hair growth??

Length
    pixie/jaw/waist
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Default Protein drinks for hair growth??

I'm not sure if this is the "right" forum for this question but would drinking protein drinks help with hair growth? I know some say adding protein helps so I wonder would a protein drink/shake help?!?

Length
    buzz/ear/WL+
    Type
    1c/M/iii

Default Re: Protein drinks for hair growth??

Is your diet protein deficient? I would assume that protein drinks would not help anymore than adding protein to your diet in other ways, and protein drinks tend to either have a lot of sugar, or artificial sweeteners, along with the protein. It's very rare for someone in the US to be protein deficient, unless they are on a very restrictive diet.

If you think you might actually be deficient in protein, it might help to talk to a nutritionist or dietician to help you develop a healthy eating plan instead of adding supplements -- they tend to be more expensive that regular food.

Length
    16/22/30
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/i/ii

Protein drinks often have biotin which is a plus. But be careful not to over-vitamin. It's hard on your kidneys.

Length
    bob/MB/WL
    Type
    3a/F/i/ii

A diet deficient in the right kinds of fats and deficient in minerals can make hair grow more slowly. If you do protein powder be sure that it is non-denatured whey protein isolate or one of the rice protein powders without added sweeteners or colorings.
    Last edited by tangocurl; December 4th, 2009 at 03:19 PM. Reason: for clarity

Lady Tangocurl of the Scepter-Twined Tresses in the Order of the Long Haired Knights.
    Currently BSL in the back when stretched, and a couple inches shy of BSL in the front. Very basic 3a. No cones. No heat styling.

Length
    35 in/39 in/43 in
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by mommat04 View Post
    I'm not sure if this is the "right" forum for this question but would drinking protein drinks help with hair growth? I know some say adding protein helps so I wonder would a protein drink/shake help?!?
    I think the right type of protein drink can be helpful in both dieting/weight loss and hair growth. However, it is very easy to get the protein you need through regular foods as well, like chicken, eggs, nuts...

Lady Arduinna, Keeper of the North Forest in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

untangledwithcare♥ windinherhair's Avatar
    Type
    1a/M/ii

My husband buys the protein drink mix which he uses after working out at the gym. And yes, I have been drinking it sometimes for my hair.

I don't take any supplements besides my fish oil and multi vitamin. I think protein and good diet is very important for healthy hair and that is what I live by.

I also wanted to agree with Sissy too that you can get protein in many foods, which is how I usually get the mine. I just love seafood! I probably eat too much tuna.
    Last edited by windinherhair; December 5th, 2009 at 09:33 PM.

In the land of Charlotte, The Queen City, Charlotte, North Carolina
    Length
    13"?/16"?/45"
    Type
    2b/F/M/ii

Absolutely protein is needed for strong hair, but like Sissy said, you can get it from chicken, eggs, nuts, and also beef, beans, and the list goes on....
    if you are vegetarian, and eat more veggies than meat, beans or eggs, then a protein bar or shake mix would probably be a good idea in my opinion.
    I read somewhere that your body only needs a certain amount of protein though.

Length
    28/tlb/tlb
    Type
    2b/2c/C/ii

I'm not sure the effect on growth, I don't think I noticed any. I use both the drinks and the bars becuase I loose weight rather easily and get lightheaded/ dizzy if I don't eat often enough. Sometimes I don't have time to sit down and eat and I can't have food in lab so stepping out the lab for a minute to drink something or eat a bar is easier when I'm in a rush and it's not actual meal time. (These alternate with tangerines, apples, etc so it's not just this stuff).

Indian Herb Article Wstern Herb Article 2b/C/ii/iii .
    Lady Aes Cyprium, Potionmaker and Alchemist to the Order of the Long Haired Knights

If you try it, my brother is a competing bodybuilder and he always recommends Isopure to me. It contains no sugar and is supposed to be one of the best tasting on the market.

Length
    15"/23"/45"
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

Why not just get your protein from food? Your body doesn't need a lot, and if you eat eggs and meat, or pulses and nuts and so on regularly, you shouldn't need additional protein in the form of drinks.