Thread: Henna fading on aging hair

Type
    2a/M/C/ii

Default Henna fading on aging hair

Hi guys -

I've not been on here much for ages ... since my hair started falling out LOTS in 2008. It's slowed down some, but my hair has also become like a 90 yr old woman's hair in the time since then (I'm in my 40s!) with tons of grey, and frizzy, weak strands. I still use henna and still love the results I get with it. BUT, it seems henna fades out of my hair, now. I thought that could not happen?!?! I only use body art quality stuff from either hennforhair or hennasooq, I let it sit for 8 hours at room temp, and it comes out great at first; but in a few weeks I start getting tons of mosey grey in the underneath. I section my hair when I henna, so I KNOW I'm coloring all my hair. Does this happen to anyone else? Is there anything I can do to help the henna 'stick' better to my hair? My hair has NEVER been chemically processed or colored, EVER, so it is not that it is damaged in that sense. I'm at a loss here

Everything is chemicals! Bagginslover's Avatar
    Length
    26.5/35.5/50
    Type
    1b/M/iii

Default Re: Henna fading on aging hair

Grey are apparently more henna resistant, what henna are you using/ It might be worth trying switching to one of the types with a higher lawsone content if you're not using them already

BSL-Waist-Hip-BCL-TBL-Classic
    Layers cut back in, oops!!!!

Length
    APL/MBL/hip
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii/iii

Second the higher lawsone content henna's. I have lots of grey and I find when I mix either a twilight (mehandi) or red raj ( henna sooq) with warm water - no acid, I get the best coverage of my greys and it stays till I have enough regrowth to need to henna again. I also henna from about 8pm till next morning but tbh, my greys are covered in less time.
    One other thought, could your hair just be having an irregular growth pattern, i.e. the fading bits are actually new growth?
    after a year with bright red hair, I'm back to henna and indigo, mainly henna applications but some indigo to take the orange down a bit! Now to get back to growing again, beyond bra strap how but aiming for hip.

Length
    16 in/16 in/36 in
    Type
    1b/F/i

When you say you let your henna sit for 8 hours at room temp are you talking about the dye release time or the time the henna is on your hair? The reason I ask is the last henna I bought from Henna Sooq gives me dye release in just an hour or two. If that is the henna you are using, you may be applying after your dye release window.
    High Priestess Milkthystle of Glowing Sands in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

I also have lots of grey and from what I read I understood that grey hair grows faster than the rest of you hair, that is why we need to henna more often. I henna my roots only now every 2weeks, sometimes ten days even so I don't see the grey roots. It works best for me this way and my hair color is always even. I leave the henna on for 3 hours and I dye release it with very warm tea and use it right away.
    One more thing , you could add amla powder to the henna and it will make it darker. Just a spoonful makes a big difference . I stopped using amla when my hair was getting too dark for my liking. I prefer the coppery red tones. Hope that helps you. Good luck.