Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Olive oil vs Coconut Oil?

Length
    1.25/4.25/BSL+
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

Default Olive oil vs Coconut Oil?

I was wondering how the two compare and how they are different in regards to benefitting hair. I've read that coconut oil does penetrate the shaft of the hair and helps prevent protein loss. Does olive oil do the same? What are the other benefits of olive oil?

I ask because my hair seems to do better with olive oil and I was wondering if it was doing any good.
    Growing out again since August 2019
    pixie
    ~ cl ~ sl ~ apl ~ bsl ~.......?

Length
    15/37,8/39.4
    Type
    1a/F/M/i

Default Re: Olive oil vs Coconut Oil?

I use olive oil for deep conditioning, I mix it with some condidtioner and leave it in for one or two hours and then I wash it out. Coconut oil is better as a leave-in, I think. I give a little bit of it to the ends of my hair before I go to bed, and the next morning you can´t see it. Olive oil is a little bit more moisturizing, but it makes my hair looking oily. So olive oil is not perfect as a leave-in as coconut oil is.

Length
    Shldr/Hip/Fngrs
    Type
    2c/M/C/ii

I use olive oil almost exclusively.

Coconut gave me major crunchy issues. It [the oil] helps to prevent protein loss in the hair shaft, and I'm sensitive to protein, so it was not good for me.

Length
    1.25/4.25/BSL+
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by RoseRedDead View Post

Coconut gave me major crunchy issues. It [the oil] helps to prevent protein loss in the hair shaft, and I'm sensitive to protein, so it was not good for me.
    hmm...maybe that's the problem! (*smacks forehead*). I think my hair might be protein sensitive, too. Silly me never put 2 and 2 together! I wouldn't describe my hair as crunchy after using coconut but it was definitely very tangle prone and never really soft. But if I use a little olive oil through my length (wet or dry) it gets ultra soft and I've also noticed good results if I use if for a heavy oiling overnight. Maybe I just need to stick with it. Cool!
    Growing out again since August 2019
    pixie
    ~ cl ~ sl ~ apl ~ bsl ~.......?

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

From what I have read, coconut oil penetrates the hair more than olive oil and a number of other oils. It may just be that it is easier to overdo it and that can result in crunchies through build-up.

It comes down to what you prefer. Since olive oil can penetrate hair as well and you are happy with it, that is what matters.

Length
    Shldr/Hip/Fngrs
    Type
    2c/M/C/ii

I was not as explanatory as I could have been.

I did not only get crunchiness, I also got tangles.

I don't have either of these problems with olive oil (it gets a wee bit crunchy from a heavy overnight oiling, but otherwise very soft and lovely), so that's what I use.

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

I was not as explanatory as I could have been.

I did not only get crunchiness, I also got tangles.

I don't have either of these problems with olive oil (it gets a wee bit crunchy from a heavy overnight oiling, but otherwise very soft and lovely), so that's what I use.
    I think that you explained yourself very well. Tangles for me, was always a sign of build-up. I think that you have the oil that is perfect for your hair. Not eveyone loves coconut oil or olive oil or others. You are lucky enough to have found the oil that works very well for you.
    Last edited by ktani; November 22nd, 2009 at 07:22 AM. Reason: spelling

Length
    20 in/30 in/30 in
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

I use olive oil mixed with castor oil for my hair and put it on before bed. I then wash it out the next morning with conditioner and I love how it moisturizes my hair. I tried coconut oil and it didn't seem to moisturize enough.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Olive oil and coconut oil work equally well for me. I like the scent of the coconut oil better so use it more often.

Length
    30/30/32+
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by whiteisle View Post
    hmm...maybe that's the problem! (*smacks forehead*). I think my hair might be protein sensitive, too. Silly me never put 2 and 2 together! I wouldn't describe my hair as crunchy after using coconut but it was definitely very tangle prone and never really soft. But if I use a little olive oil through my length (wet or dry) it gets ultra soft and I've also noticed good results if I use if for a heavy oiling overnight. Maybe I just need to stick with it. Cool!
    I guess this proves just how different each person's hair reacts to oils, and to protien. I consider my hair sensitive to protein, I dont use anything with protein, like shampoos and conditioners, but my hair loves coconut oil! I find heavy oilings with olive oil make for frizzy hair when it dries.