Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Olive oil vs Coconut Oil?

Length
    Buzz/8-11/APL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii

Default Re: Olive oil vs Coconut Oil?

Quote Originally Posted by earthnut View Post
    Coconut oil has no protein, like all oils. However, coconut oil has been shown to bond to protein in the hair, protecting and strengthening it.
    That explains a lot.

My frizzy, poofy, curly hair straightens out a lot with the Coconut, EV Olive Oil and Aloe mix I use after my morning shower(instead of hair gel)...

Length
    17"/BSL/thigh
    Type
    1b/F/ii/iii

Both EVOO and coconut oil work wonders for my hair. I use them both primarily as a prewash treatment or deep conditioning treatments. I usually just heat the coconut oil, mix them together and apply it.

The coconut oil works well for me when it's dry too but I have to be really careful, it's so easy to overdo it! EVOO makes my hair sooo soft and shiny, I love it.
    Lady Fainauriel of Purity in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    15"/22"/long!
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

I have tried using coconut oil in the past on damp hair after washing. It got crunchy and felt weird but after brushing the crunchy went away but it seemed to give me tangles.

I've done heavy over night oilings with both VCO and EVOO and both worked well for me.

My last wash I decided to use EVOO on my damp hair since I was in the kitchen and we just happen to have a LOT of EVOO at the minute and my hair ends have been feeling frazzled and my usual castor oil on the dry ends wasn't helping.

So... I just stuck my hand on top of the oil and tipped it over and then rubbed what was left in between my hands and rubbed it all over my hair.

When it dried it was nice and shiny and the frazzled ends were back to normal!

I've used EVOO in the past on dry hair just a drop or two on any dry spots and rubbed in well and then brushed with a BBB and it worked great but somehow I forgot about it.
    rats spelled backwards spells star

Length
    17"/32"/42"
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

My hair hates coconut oil... in fact, I think the hate is rather mutual. lol

But I loooove EVOO!
    { Conditioner Only }
    Suave Professionals Rosemary & Mint—Mineral Oil & Olive Oil—BBB—Hair Sense five-tooth comb & BBB

Length
    27,5/38/43
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii/iii

I don't know yet! Its a big difference, I love the smell of coconut (I love coconut, its the best thing ever) but my hair turns too shiny and a little separated. I don´t like the smell of evoo in my hair, just on my salad. But my hair doesn't turn greasy of that, just soft. I tried a mixture of coconut oil, EVOO and aloe vera today after shower, we'll see....
    TBL->Classic
    Goal length: Below Classic

I like coconut oil (lou ann) better than my evoo. I want to try the organic, raw type though. As far as the olive oil, it sets on top of my hair and I don't like that. The coconut oil seems to actually sink into my strands. Me likey coconut oil better! Next stop...raw shea butter, concentrated coconut cream, coconut milk and coconut water.

Length
    27 in/33 in/Hip
    Type
    1a/M/i/ii

I love olive oil. I put two capfuls in my shampoo & conditioner. It makes my hair really soft. And it helps dry ends.

Last edited by JuniperBerry; June 23rd, 2012 at 11:40 PM.

Length
    CBL/TBL/-
    Type
    1c/M/ii

I've never used coconut oil, though it's on my list. I use EVOO as a leave-in, while my hair is damp after a wash and on the ends after it's dry. If I overdo it my hair can be a bit greasy, but a light sheen makes my hair softer and easier to manage, and it usually sinks in overnight or during the course of a day. Unlike everyone else I've had a lot more success using it as a leave-in than for deep treatments.
    Caution: LHC-itis may become terminal.
    https://zestylonghair.wordpress.com

Length
    SL/BSL/WL
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

I like both but I mostly use them for deep treatments with conditioner, honey and a tiny bit of ACV or over night pre-wash oiling. I find that adding a bit of ACV to the treatments makes my hair more shiny.
    For leave-in I prefer to use either arganoil (the pure oil) or sweet almond oil, or a mix of the two and it makes my hair really nice, shiny and soft.
    Ho ho ho to waist we grow...