Page 565 of 851 FirstFirst ... 65465515555563564565566567575615665 ... LastLast
Results 5,641 to 5,650 of 8501

Thread: Wurly and Curly thread!!!

Length
    chin/bsl/class
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: Wurly and Curly thread!!!

An update on my hair..theres still some isseues but i think they will be resolved over time. I CO washed the other day and used a protein free condish instead of my usual one...its slightly better but i thnk i still prefer my proteiny conditioner i think im going to try another overnight soack in condionter and oil to see if that helps!

Length
    1/34.6"/41
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

In case it wasn't clear, I don't sprinkle my hair either. I have better things to do than sit in my shower for an hour to try and drizzle all the conditioner out. I prefer good water pressure, the jet-blast setting on my shower head and hot water and if that effects my wurls negatively they are just going to have to learn how to deal with it.
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 CL 15 16 17 18 SL 20 21 22 23 APL 25 26 27 BSL 28 29 30 31 32 WL 34 35 36 HL 38 39 40 TB

Length
    pixie/25"/30"
    Type
    2c/F/ii/iii

Hmm.. I have the second edition, read it cover to cover, and never saw anything about sprinkling? What did I miss??

The feeling I got from reading the CG book is that it aims to 1. get people to feel good about having curly hair, and 2. to get them started on a healthier routine, in that order of importance. It's meant for "beginners", not as a reference manual for "pros". The dissatisfaction starts when people try to view the book as some sort of curly hair bible, which is a position it's pushed to not through its own merits, but simply by virtue of 0 competition. There's no point mining the CG book for bible-worthy information, because it's simply not there. Perhaps one day someone will write such a volume, but for now I imagine the best place to find this info is on the net. For all its scaremongering, omissions and questionable "science", the CG book does do a good job of accomplishing the two objectives above, and viewing it in this light, I was well satisfied

made of sugar and cyanide MandyBeth's Avatar
    Length
    6"?/17"/.....
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by MinderMutsig View Post
    In case it wasn't clear, I don't sprinkle my hair either. I have better things to do than sit in my shower for an hour to try and drizzle all the conditioner out. I prefer good water pressure, the jet-blast setting on my shower head and hot water and if that effects my wurls negatively they are just going to have to learn how to deal with it.
    Right! They are after all living on your head rent free, they should do what YOU want them to do.

Type
    3b/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by dRummie View Post
    Hmm.. I have the second edition, read it cover to cover, and never saw anything about sprinkling? What did I miss??
    I'll try to look through mine tonight and find what it's talking about so I can give you an accurate example. Unless someone else has their copy handy right now?

I'm just not ready to be a Renegray yet!
    Avatar credit to the lovely milagro

Type
    3b/M/C/ii/iii

Found it with Amazon's "search inside this book" feature.

Page 40 -- the "trickle" or "baptism rinse".

I don't have thebook - what is sprinkling?

Type
    3b/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by proo View Post
    I don't have thebook - what is sprinkling?
    Go here: http://www.amazon.com/Curly-Girl-Han.../dp/076115678X

Click on "search inside this book" on the left.

Type baptism into the search box and it should bring up page 40.

Length
    HL/38TBL/CLSC?
    Type
    3b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by dRummie View Post

The feeling I got from reading the CG book is that it aims to 1. get people to feel good about having curly hair, and 2. to get them started on a healthier routine, in that order of importance. It's meant for "beginners", not as a reference manual for "pros". The dissatisfaction starts when people try to view the book as some sort of curly hair bible, which is a position it's pushed to not through its own merits, but simply by virtue of 0 competition. There's no point mining the CG book for bible-worthy information, because it's simply not there. Perhaps one day someone will write such a volume, but for now I imagine the best place to find this info is on the net. For all its scaremongering, omissions and questionable "science", the CG book does do a good job of accomplishing the two objectives above, and viewing it in this light, I was well satisfied
    Yeah, I was actually surprised how little information there actually is in the book. Of course it's still very much worth reading, but I really didn't need 35 stories about how you hated your hair back in the day and people were mean to you, but now you love it.

I actually learned a lot more from Curly Like Me. She actually gets into detail about the physical structure of the hair, the types of chemical bonds (aka what actually makes it curl), why it reacts to water the way it does, how it's structurally different from straight hair, what hair dye, perms, texturizers, and relaxers actually do to the hair on a chemical level (that will sure as hell scare you out of ever putting chemicals on your head again). She also goes into a lot more detail than LM does about ingredients in hair care products, what they do and the actual proportions as well as explaining what to look for and what to avoid and why. And then there's a lot of practical stuff--for example she has a lot of great strategies for effectively detangling curly hair without damaging it, even when you've got monster knots and even matting going on. She also suggests lots of hairstyles, and I found them a lot or practical and doable than the ones in LM's book (sewing a ribbon through your hair, really? Just how often am I ever going to do that?).

I'm not saying Teri's book drastically better. I'm just glad I read them both and didn't assume Curl Girl would tell me everything I need to know.

TrudieCat

That's good information about Curly Like Me, thank you C.H.

Another thing, re: Lorraine Massey and the Curly Girl book is that she has a lot invested in the CG system. She came up with it, and promoted it in a previous book, and developed a line of products and a haircutting technique that are all part of the system. It doesn't seem like it would be in her best interest to take apart ingredients and teach her readers how to choose various products in that way - it's easier just to say, "Use a botanical conditioner!" when she makes an entire product line of "botanical" conditioners and cleansers, or at least her definition of a botanical conditioners and cleansers. Same thing with the cutting dry/Deva cut thing.

I don't fault her for that, it's all part of the business and she did come up with all of this stuff which I think was very smart and innovative. But her point isn't to teach you how to navigate the products aisle at Target, or to try a million different methods to find out what's right for you specifically - it's to explain her system, that's all.