Page 90 of 851 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100140190590 ... LastLast

Thread: Wurly and Curly thread!!!

Type
    3a/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Wurly and Curly thread!!!

Another curly here, currently at shoulder length. I actually do not favour my curls at this length. I prefer when my hair is longer and the curls form into more of a ringlet, well in the past they did. I guess we'll see what the future holds for my curls. I am growing out my virgin hair and have noticed that when I chemically coloured/bleached my hair it was fuzzy and much curlier. I like that the virgin hair is smooth, silky and no frizz, well minimal.
    First goal~BSL - achieved
    Final goal~Tailbone

Curly Sisters,

I have a question and hope some could shed light on it. I had not combed/brushed my hair but only fingercombed for a long long time (perhaps more than a year) till just a few weeks ago someone encouraged me to try it. Well I must admit I loved the feeling of a wideteeth comb on my scalp which I realized I had missed a lot So I got into that habit. But immediately there were problems. If I combed after shower, I didn’t necessary like my curl patterns less but there was a lot of shedding and I realized combing wet hair was not just such a good idea after all. So I decided to try the impossible, which was combing dry hair either post-shower when it dried or just pre-shower. I didn’t like my curls (big mess) when I combed dry postshower but if I comb pre-shower, the curls return to ringlets after washing.

But here is the main issue now: combing dry hair pre-shower means a lot of wear and tear and shedding even though I try to get the knots out using fingers first. I’ve been doing it but it scares me everytime I’m done. I really really want to be able to comb my hair in addition to post-shower fingercombing, but I’d like to know how I could do it in a hair friendly manner. Any help would be greatly greatly appreciated, as last night I was thinking of getting a short bob if the dilemma continued. This is 3B/3C hair with lots of tight curls after all.

Length
    shldr/shldr/?
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii

Swan, I seem to shed more hair when I comb my wet hair, but I don't think that is really the case, I think it just looks like more because the comb gets more already shed (but still stuck to the rest) hairs than fingers at one time.

I'm pretty sure that this is the case for me because when I fingercomb, I'll get a couple hairs in my fingers every time I run them through my hair, I can finger comb for a long time, and this won't stop. If I use a (wide tooth) comb, more hairs come out at once, yes, but after a couple times it stops.
    - Does this happen to you, too?

Also, in my case, I know that most hairs are really shed, not broken. Does it feel to you like you're breaking your hair when you use a comb? That would be something else...

I hope this helps, at least some.

I have a question, too.
    How long does everyone's hair grow per year? I'm interested in the "curly length", not the "stretched length".
    I tried to estimate how long it will take me to get to certain goals (APL, BSL...), and I'm guessing that my hair will grow about 6-7 cm (~2.5 inches) per year, but I'm not sure of how realistic this is, even if it sounds good to me.
    Opinions? Experience?

Just_Isabel,
    thanks so much!
    i think they're shed rather than broken hair that falls during combing. what you say makes perfect sense, come to think of it. i fear though that long-standing advice of less manipulation of wet hair might be true and i'm putting my hair through unnecessary damage when i comb wet.
    i was thinking this morning maybe i should reduce my detangling to once a week and try to do it with lots of oil run through my hair when it's dry pre-shower first with fingers before running a comb through it and see what happens.

Hi! Another curly checking in! tomm directed me here so hopefully I'll find all the information I'm looking for.

I'll save my questions until after I'm done wading through this entire thread, if I have anymore left, lol.

Type
    3a/3b/M/C/iii

Yay, another curly here too. I'll have to fix up my profile soon with a pic.

Length
    shldr/shldr/?
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii

Welcome to LHC, Aries_jb and tkywa!

Length
    SL/BSL/Waist
    Type
    3a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by swan View Post
    Just_Isabel,
    thanks so much!
    i think they're shed rather than broken hair that falls during combing. what you say makes perfect sense, come to think of it. i fear though that long-standing advice of less manipulation of wet hair might be true and i'm putting my hair through unnecessary damage when i comb wet.
    i was thinking this morning maybe i should reduce my detangling to once a week and try to do it with lots of oil run through my hair when it's dry pre-shower first with fingers before running a comb through it and see what happens.
    I comb my hair before washing and than I either use a comb or my fingers to run through my hair when wet. Yes, I do lose a lot of hair but I think that is normal, don't you think?

Usually the advice for curly hair is to comb when wet, before you rinse out the conditioner, because the conditioner makes it easier to get rid of tangles and thus is kind to your hair.

Length
    SL/BSL/Waist
    Type
    3a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Just_Isabel View Post
    Swan, I seem to shed more hair when I comb my wet hair, but I don't think that is really the case, I think it just looks like more because the comb gets more already shed (but still stuck to the rest) hairs than fingers at one time.
    I agree with Just_Isabel on this!

thanks Forest!
    today, i fingercombed with conditioner in and did some more fingercombing with my leave-in in the end. now that i know it's normal for all to lose more hair with comb i'll use it with more peace of mind.