Page 733 of 851 FirstFirst ... 233633683723731732733734735743783833 ... LastLast
Results 7,321 to 7,330 of 8501

Thread: Wurly and Curly thread!!!

Type
    3b/M/C/ii/iii

Default Re: Wurly and Curly thread!!!

I do S&D when I feel like it (mostly for fairy knots, not split ends -- very rare for me to find a split end anymore), and I do the "wrap an elastic around it and slide it down" method when I'm taking off any amount of length (usually 1-2 times a year I'll take off 1"-4" of my damaged ends from my pre-LHC years).

I think it's EASIER to self-trim as a curly, b/c there is so much room for variation -- the curls are always going to make each tress a bit different anyway, so unless you have a HUGE discrepancy in length, nobody will ever be able to tell.

I'm just not ready to be a Renegray yet!
    Avatar credit to the lovely milagro

made of sugar and cyanide MandyBeth's Avatar
    Length
    6"?/17"/.....
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii/iii

Diabolical minion - we just cut where the ends refuse to clump up. Or where she's getting serious tangles that aren't worth combing/brushing out.

For serious removal - I just cut an inch below her request more/less straight across, then took big clumps and trimmed them to no tangle area. Wash, let mostly dry loose, trim any funky ends.

For defuzzing - since it's not length removal, and her fuzzy from damage ends are far easier to see wet/oiled - I just take a clump, go to fuzz, then about a revolution above and cut. About once a week seems to work, trim 12-15 fuzzies a time and her hair doesn't look uneven.

Now, let the fuzzies take over, the ends look uneven. The healthier her curls, the better the ends hold moisture, thus weight. Fuzzies spring up tighter and out since the ends can't hold moisture. So she'd get weird behaving layers, but cut the fuzz off and her hair looks longer. It's actually how I find fuzzies, the shorter ends are usually fuzzy.

In braid waves to 2B - she's got a slightly wavy U shape going on. Full curls, straight across looking.

Minion in training has a pretty deep U going, but she likes it, so I just trim as per requests.

Length
    APL/MBL/CLS/S
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Firefox7275 View Post
    Even if you follow the Curly Girl method you don't have to go shampoo-free, the Handbook does permit sulphate free shampoo and many wavies, fine hairs and those with scalp issues do this. Over on the Wavy Hair Community on Facebook I seem to be in the minority co-washing exclusively (rare clarify excepted) and that is because I colour treat so hair is more damaged and poufy almost from the time it exits my scalp.
    If this was for me,I had problems with both sulfate free shampoo and CO-washing,until I found my current shampoo.

Quote Originally Posted by biogirl87 View Post
    LadCelestina, I still tend to read this thread from time to time but I am not active on this thread any longer. Since I had my hair cut from a little below BSL to about mid neck, my hair barely has any waves in it now. The only parts of my hair that have waves in them are one lock on each of the sides of my face and I think that has to be because of the shampoo that I am using (Herbal Essences Tously Me Softly) as I have not changed anything in my routine except going back to brushing and not using conditioner and it is dry here, so it cannot be because of humidity. I kind of expected my hair to be a lot less wavy after I had it cut as it does not wave in Southern Illinois until it gets past shoulder length. I am glad I had it cut, as it has decreased the amount of time it takes me to do my hair in the morning from 15-20 minutes it took me just to detangle my hair to about a minute to brush it and be ready for the day hair-wise.

I think right now my hair is pretty much straight with two waves in it (my bangs and one lock on the right side of my face) and a bit of body in it. I am not sure what my hair type is right now, but if I had to guess it would probably in the 1s range, maybe 1b or so. I am not even sure I belong in the wavy and wurly thread any more either.

Yes, our hair types do appear to act similar, but for different reasons. The reason that I cannot go shampoo-free and styling products can weigh down my hair easily is because I have fine-textured hair.
    It's great you are feeling good about your hair.Having your hair in a style you both like and find practical is a priceless feeling.
    Yes,our hair types are obviously different,mine is probably curlier and coarser than yours,I was just surprised because there is a certain pattern most curlies seem to follow with their routine.

Quote Originally Posted by lilliemer View Post
    Wow, your hair sounds A LOT like mine (hi!)...except mine is shorter (APL curly, BSL pulled straight). Is yours not curly at the roots but with 'major shrinkage' due to ringlets at the ends? Did you lose more curl as it got longer? How do you manage it?

I can't go more than 3 days without washing, as my scalp starts to hurt and shed more hair than I would like. Mousse makes my hair look like it's been rubbed with sandpaper, and I have had a really hard time settling on a good routine. I'm hoping that length will help, as well as a bit of tincture of time as I grow out old heat and mechanical (harsh ponytailing) damage. Currently I am using low-detergent shampoo and lots of leave in conditioner, washing every 2 to 3 days. I have been trying to stretch trims in order to gain length but still need to get damage taken off every 10 to 12 weeks. For DTs I use light coconut milk, rosemary infused olive oil, and SMTs (but have been doing these less frequently of late because of a lack of Time).
    Hi!
    Yes and yes.My hair is straight-ish until about chin length,then it develops a wave pattern and curls at the ends only.I also had my hair shrink up to APL when I was BSL And yes my hair type changed with length.I now get some smaller,tighter curls especially near the ears,and the rest is waves with ringlet curls at the end.When it was shorter,I had big curls and waves all over,except for close to the roots.
    My routine is very similar to yours.I shampoo with sulfate free Schauma kids shampoo (I mention it because it's the only sulfate free thing my scalp will tolerate). I can't use too much leave in,especially not too much conditioner.I can,however,use a bit more of coney serum,aloe,or oil.
    Cones are an important part of my hair care.No cones put me in a vicious cycle of hard to detangle/need more product/ tangles easily/hard to detangle dry/need more washing/need more product to detangle properly.I can use up a full bottle of cone free stuff with one wash,coney stuff lasts me for a week or two,minimum.
    I wash about as often as well,though sometimes,I just do a scalp wash and comb the length.
    10-12 weeks is around 3-4 months ? I'm not that good at maths,but that is not very short trimming interval
    SMTs are awesome.I sometimes oil my hair pre-wash with coconut oil and brush with a boar bristle brush.

ETA: about shrinkage and loss of curl at longer lengths.My sister was something you would call a wurly,she follows a minimalistic routine of shampoo/oil and infrequent washes and has very coarse hair.She can get it really straight at around waist.It doesn't have the same look as naturally straight hair would have,you can still see a bit of the brushed out curl,but the coarseness hides it well.
    Mine is less coarse and I usually don't disturb the curl pattern while drying,but when I do,the curls are very stubborn and just jump back in,maybe a bit stretched.
    So I don't know if I'll end up with straight-ish hair like hers one day or what.
    Last edited by LadyCelestina; December 15th, 2013 at 08:50 AM.

Length
    bob/bob/WST
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/iii

Hi everyone! I got a big trim recently and am starting to wear my hair curly again. I have really damaged it by the irons. Evil things they are. Anyhooooo, I need some encouragement!!! Nice to see my thread is still going!!!! <3

Combing only when wet with CO, Suave conditioner, AG Re:Coil, LA Looks sports gel, EVOO and coconut oil

Length
    chin/bsl/class
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Curlsgirl View Post
    Hi everyone! I got a big trim recently and am starting to wear my hair curly again. I have really damaged it by the irons. Evil things they are. Anyhooooo, I need some encouragement!!! Nice to see my thread is still going!!!! <3
    Curlsgirl, welcome back!

Length
    bob/bob/WST
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/iii

Thanks!!!!!

Combing only when wet with CO, Suave conditioner, AG Re:Coil, LA Looks sports gel, EVOO and coconut oil

Length
    29/33/40
    Type
    3b/M/ii

I've been wanting to try an Elven hairstyle and I want to loosen my curls, or perhaps straighten them. I'm 3b/c and when I tried braiding it, it simply took the form of the braid and really looks just as curly, though a different pattern (S instead of curls). Have any of you found a heatless/no damage way of straightening/loosening curls? I found this video but I am not sure if I want to try it or not... No sure if it would work on my hair (31 inches) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1RO-d1Z9Hs

Length
    Pixie/BCL/?!
    Type
    3b/3c/M/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Symphony View Post
    I've been wanting to try an Elven hairstyle and I want to loosen my curls, or perhaps straighten them. I'm 3b/c and when I tried braiding it, it simply took the form of the braid and really looks just as curly, though a different pattern (S instead of curls). Have any of you found a heatless/no damage way of straightening/loosening curls? I found this video but I am not sure if I want to try it or not... No sure if it would work on my hair (31 inches) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1RO-d1Z9Hs
    You can totally get it straight(er) without heat. It just takes a lot of work and patience. I'd start with wet setting and move on from there. You might also want to read through this thread:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ad.php?t=85483

Hope that helps!
    Grew out the pixie.
    Acquired a mane.
    Cruising toward Classic.

**For my routine, please see my blog posts.**

made of sugar and cyanide MandyBeth's Avatar
    Length
    6"?/17"/.....
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii/iii

My adorably evil minion's hair just will not straighten without massive heat. Her issue isn't so much the tight curls (she's 3c/4a) but she's got really tight rotations also. So, can't get both those to settle down nicely. Wet set, doobie wrapping, braids, nothing works. Heck, throw 4 braids on her, those suckers curl! Pigtail braids get curly at the ends.

Length
    ~Wst/TBL/~Cls
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

I'm super new to the world of humectants, and wondering when they start to lose their effectiveness and possibly work against us. I live in the wet part of Oregon, and while the humidity is in the 90s this time of year outside, the humidity in the house fluctuates between 40-50. I understand that humectants work best in high humidity - this that still a good range?
    Wavy, wurly, sometimes curly; on my way to healthier, longer hair!

~Waist → Hip BCL TBL Goal: TBL+ V hem