Page 716 of 851 FirstFirst ... 216616666706714715716717718726766816 ... LastLast
Results 7,151 to 7,160 of 8501

Thread: Wurly and Curly thread!!!

Length
    Pixie/BCL/?!
    Type
    3b/3c/M/C/ii

Default Re: Wurly and Curly thread!!!

This is an interesting learning experience, having thinning hair.

I've never been self-conscious about my hair. I've wanted it to be longer, or better styled, or shinier...but I've never been self-conscious about it.

Today, I made sure to fluff my hair in the front, just in case people might see my scalp. It was ridiculous since I still have an insane amount of volume. I noticed that when I made "careless" buns, I made sure to pull my hair down before I twirled, covering the sides. It was an almost unconscious decision.

It's been....different. My mom has very thin hair and I always wondered why she always messed with it.

A life lesson I guess.
    Grew out the pixie.
    Acquired a mane.
    Cruising toward Classic.

**For my routine, please see my blog posts.**

Length
    Waist/Clasc/?
    Type
    3a/M/ii

Curlycap that is how I lived for 30 years but I shouldnt have had to. If you get hair back within a couple of years, great, otherwise do look into options such as minoxidil (I dont know your age but you said above that you work in medical field so you will be aware of all contraindications so will use it judiciously) or maybe there are/will be other options. I got back so much of my hair (my first post here has that story), it is unbelievable. I still style as it I need to cover up as there are a couple of areas but overall I love this new freedom.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

CurlyCap, please have some blood drawn, and make sure, doubly so, that it isn't anything other than stress. I think it's very important to get a check up at this point! Don't just assume it's stress. Make sure!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    SL/BCL/Class
    Type
    2c/F/ii

I was hoping someone here could recommend a good leave-in conditioner. My hair is 2c (but definitely on the extremely wurly side of 2c), fine, but decently thick. I've tried a bunch of different leave-ins as well as just leaving in some of my rinse out conditioner. The result is always still dry/unmoisturized, but relatively sticky hair.

I was thinking of trying the one by Darcy's botanicals, so if anyone has tried it I would love to hear experiences. However, I would certainly enjoy other suggestions too!

Thank you in advance!

Length
    20"/23"/28"
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by puddums View Post
    I was hoping someone here could recommend a good leave-in conditioner. My hair is 2c (but definitely on the extremely wurly side of 2c), fine, but decently thick. I've tried a bunch of different leave-ins as well as just leaving in some of my rinse out conditioner. The result is always still dry/unmoisturized, but relatively sticky hair.

I was thinking of trying the one by Darcy's botanicals, so if anyone has tried it I would love to hear experiences. However, I would certainly enjoy other suggestions too!

Thank you in advance!
    What are your hair properties (see Live Curly Live Free) and dew points/ humidity? That will help tell you what ingredients to look for to improve the texture of your hair, hair feeling 'dry' doesn't necessarily mean it is lacking is moisture (=water) or that using humectants is the solution, it can means the cuticle is not lying flat, can be build up, can be old damage, can just be the natural kinks in your hair and so on.

Are you applying the leave ins to dripping wet or damp towel dried hair? I find that makes a huge difference to the end result. Do bear in mind many leave ins are not 'true' conditioners (not rich in fatty alcohols or cationic surfactants), they are detanglers or moisturisers or even closer to pomades/ serums. That might or might not be what you want.
    Dyed-in-the-wool redhead, growing out a major shed & mechanical damage to hairline. Eight years 'modified' Curly Girl, just past BSL stretched but keep trimming.

Length
    SL/BCL/Class
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Thanks for the response Firefox7275! Your answers are always so informative!

I went and figured out my other hair properties (and learned a whole lot, I might add). Assuming I did everything correctly, I think my hair is low elasticity and low porosity. The dew points here at this time of the year seem to be in high 50s to low 60s range and humidity tends to be in the mid 60s to high 70s (although the humidity is slightly lower right now since there were thunderstorms yesterday, knocking a bunch of the humidity out).

I think I will start by clarifying just in case build up is the issue. I don't think I've clarified for awhile, so it can't hurt.

ETA: I forgot to add in that my density would be medium.

Also, I always put leave-in in when my hair is dripping wet.

Now that I have clarified, it does feel a bit better, so part of the issue was probably build up. Feel free to impart your wisdom to me though! I would still appreciate it!
    Last edited by puddums; August 3rd, 2013 at 10:29 AM.

I haven't had the chance to look through all the pages, but I was wondering how common is "triangle" hair for wurlies?

I haven't been CO washing lately -- I went back to sulfate-free shampoos although this time I dilute some in water. I use a generous amount of cone-free conditioner, focusing on my ends. And while my hair is still damp, I like to apply coconut oil and a bit of shea butter. But my hair is still wide! Especially on wash-day. I like my routine because it's gentle and leaves my length feeling soft and relatively tangle-free. I'm just not sure what to do about the 'triangle' or 'pyramid' look? I really don't like layers. I don't know... I'm starting to suspect my hair might be wavier than it shows. The canopy is more of a 1c, but the underlayers can range from 2a to 2c. On top of that, I have a combination of fine, medium, and coarse strands. lol it's quite complicated having such mixed hair. (つд`)
    2a / M&C / iii

Length
    2"/22.5"/30+
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Killahkurlz View Post
    I heard Giovanni's leave in is good from a lot of people. I have yet to.try it though.
    I just got it, the first time I used it I loved it, but my hair has been dry and cranky lately, and hasn't been doing well regardless of whether or not I use the leave in. I think an ACV rinse may have angered it. Gonna keep playing with my routine until I find something my hair likes.

Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

I find that I have to switch up my routine and products. Something that works great for me for a few weeks/months will suddenly not work anymore, even after clarifying. But if I switch it up, I tend to have better results.

How long is your hair ludwig? I'm somewhere between SL & APL and I am prone to triangle hair... but I don't think it will be a problem once its longer. Also, my hair naturally grows in a "V" shape which seems to keep the triangle to a minimum.

Type
    3a/3b/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by puddums View Post
    Thanks for the response Firefox7275! Your answers are always so informative!

I went and figured out my other hair properties (and learned a whole lot, I might add). Assuming I did everything correctly, I think my hair is low elasticity and low porosity. The dew points here at this time of the year seem to be in high 50s to low 60s range and humidity tends to be in the mid 60s to high 70s (although the humidity is slightly lower right now since there were thunderstorms yesterday, knocking a bunch of the humidity out).

I think I will start by clarifying just in case build up is the issue. I don't think I've clarified for awhile, so it can't hurt.

ETA: I forgot to add in that my density would be medium.

Also, I always put leave-in in when my hair is dripping wet.

Now that I have clarified, it does feel a bit better, so part of the issue was probably build up. Feel free to impart your wisdom to me though! I would still appreciate it!
    I don't know what porosity test you did, but the water one is pretty unreliable. You can get a good estimate of porosity just by observation. If your hair takes a long time to wet down, is hard to moisturize but holds the moisture once it gets there, and takes a long time to dry, you're low porosity. If your hair is damaged due to bleaching or a lot of heat, dries very fast, and loses moisture quickly, you're high porosity. Somewhere in between is normal.

I'm searching for the perfect leave-in myself. The Darcy's pumpkin seed conditioner is very nice, although not necessarily meant as a leave in, and glycerin-free. My hair will take a certain amount of glycerin but not too much. I haven't tried the actual leave in (the peach kernel, I think it is). I'm testing out some Curl Junkie as well as Spiral Solutions. I have a bunch of samples to go through. I was using Tresemme Naturals, but they seem to want to keep changing formulations. Whenever possible, I also prefer to support smaller businesses.