Page 673 of 851 FirstFirst ... 173573623663671672673674675683723773 ... LastLast
Results 6,721 to 6,730 of 8501

Thread: Wurly and Curly thread!!!

Length
    Pixie/BCL/?!
    Type
    3b/3c/M/C/ii

Default Re: Wurly and Curly thread!!!

BunnyWabbit (and anybody else too): I've noticed the curls are playing nicer in all the humidity if I put a little jojoba oil (~0.5mL for my hair) in my conditioner while I co-wash. I usually use a VO5 moisturizing conditioner, if that helps. It's surprising how big a difference relatively little of this oil made in keeping my hair sane during the insane humidity we're having right now.

And, because pictures are fun:

1. Co-wash and go in high humidity: Fun but even crazier in real life.

2. Added conditioner to damp hair for co-wash BUT then also massaged in a quarter-sized puddle of jojoba oil (in addition to the conditioner already present):

These were taken at the end of the day, and actually the jojoba'd curls are even tighter/cleaner during the work day.

I had been using silicones for so many years (Paul Mitchell's Skinny Serum) that I forgot what a number humidity can do on the curls! Hope this helps anyone out there dealing with the same. ;D

ETA: Only a curly could possibly think picture 2 is "more tamed" than picture 1. I realized that as I saw the pictures, but oh well. This is the wurly/curly forum and I'm assuming that all the peeps here know the benefit just a bit more curl definition can make on a person's sanity.
    Last edited by CurlyCap; May 23rd, 2012 at 09:30 PM.
    Grew out the pixie.
    Acquired a mane.
    Cruising toward Classic.

**For my routine, please see my blog posts.**

Lover of Rainbows & Curls Quixii's Avatar
    Length
    0?/knee+/knee
    Type
    3a/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyCap View Post
    A usual oiling takes about a palmful of oil, not the few drops usually described on LHC. It takes nearly 2 cups of oil to do what most LHCers would call a heavy oiling in my hair, where it's left almost dripping. And the best (weirdest?) part is that I can repeat the whole process 3 days later because, honestly, my hair would be ready for more.
    Oh, this makes me feel better!
    I have next to no experience with oiling, but the one time I tried it I did the couple drop thing, rubbed through my hair and was all, "Umm.. It's gone." But I was worried more oil would have some catastrophic consequence so I did nothing more.
    Now that I know curly hair can and probably should have more oil, I should try again...
    Knee+ length! Lady Gelôs, Keeper of the Silken Aulaeum in the Order of the Long Haired Knights <3

Length
    Pixie/BCL/?!
    Type
    3b/3c/M/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Quixii View Post
    Oh, this makes me feel better!
    I have next to no experience with oiling, but the one time I tried it I did the couple drop thing, rubbed through my hair and was all, "Umm.. It's gone." But I was worried more oil would have some catastrophic consequence so I did nothing more.
    Now that I know curly hair can and probably should have more oil, I should try again...
    Truth is, I think it's pretty hard to overshoot (at least in my hair category).

If I oil and it's a bit too much, I just co-wash twice and the next day my hair looks like it has product in it- a little shinier than normal, but it doesn't look "oily". If I'm worried about it (might be around someone who wants to put hands in my hair and is not used to the concept of oiling), I just put it up for a day. Most people just think I have a styling gel in my hair from the way it looks. By days 2 and 3 after I "overdid it"....lol, ALL GONE!!
    Grew out the pixie.
    Acquired a mane.
    Cruising toward Classic.

made of sugar and cyanide MandyBeth's Avatar
    Length
    6"?/17"/.....
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii/iii

I'll have to try jojoba oil for J. My hair had a total riot - which isn't a normal stopping point - but was HORRIBLE to wash out. I did the pre soak conditioner, Co washed, then still had to clarify to get it off. Since soap + curly hair aren't buddy buddy, plus J has epic meltdowns at suds in her hair, so I didn't want to try anything hard to remove.

Length
    6"?/17"/.....
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii/iii

Quixii, worst case - put your hair up, tuck the ends in - in 8 hours, it will have likely soaked in. If not, let conditioner sit for a while, CO wash, it'll be back to normal.

Length
    Pixie/BCL/?!
    Type
    3b/3c/M/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by MandyBeth View Post
    I'll have to try jojoba oil for J. My hair had a total riot - which isn't a normal stopping point - but was HORRIBLE to wash out. I did the pre soak conditioner, Co washed, then still had to clarify to get it off. Since soap + curly hair aren't buddy buddy, plus J has epic meltdowns at suds in her hair, so I didn't want to try anything hard to remove.
    Well, supposedly it's more of a wax and than oil, so I can imagine that it'd be hard to get out and a nightmare on hair that shows buildup easily. I just think that for hair that's constantly thirsty, a wax that provides a bit more enduring of a sealant might be a pro over a conventional oil like EVOO/CO/Shea. Like J, I can't stand when my hair is squeaky clean. Oh, the horror.

Honestly, I once heavily oil'd with jojoba as if it were EVOO and it wasn't that bad. It did last for about 5 days though, which is definitely longer than any other oil I tried. I didn't do it again because, after applying it in that quantity, some of the wax started melting off into my face. Sexy.
    Grew out the pixie.
    Acquired a mane.
    Cruising toward Classic.

Length
    6"?/17"/.....
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii/iii

I'll give it a try on her ends tomorrow. If it doesn't cause problems, I can add more. Ends look meh for a few days, not the end of the world.

The suds issue is more her hair was washed with dish soap before, she thinks suds near her face will sting. Which is why she's got so much damage, plus having the under layer of hair in a mat. She will let us soak her hair in the tub, we call that progress. Besides, easier to wash her hair in the sink yet.

Yes, I am totally avoiding issues. I don't care. She can wet her hair on her own, it's just not easy to manage yet for her. When a water only face wash won't work, honey or OCM will work. She will eventually grow up and handle everything fine. And I'm a slacker who works to avoid pointless epic meltdowns.

Length
    Class/Class/Class
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

@quixii, since we have the same hair, I thought I'd give you a heads up that mine Does NOT do well with jojoba oil. It gets sooo greasy and doesn't penetrate. I can do More than average of unrefined coconut and EVOO.
    Faerie knots are sooo knot my friends

Length
    Class/Class/Class
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

@mandybeth,

I sure applaud your efforts. She will be so grateful to you. I surexwish I had this knowledge a hundred million years ago
    Faerie knots are sooo knot my friends

Type
    3b/M/C/ii/iii

I had fun at the Chicago reunion last summer, pouring a teaspoon (5ml) or so of oil into my hand and rubbing it through my hair. The straighties were just amazed, like I was David Copperfield making the Statue of Liberty disappear or something!

Curly hair and coarser hair can take LOADS of oil. My hair's fave is grapeseed or sweet almond.

I'm just not ready to be a Renegray yet!
    Avatar credit to the lovely milagro