Page 653 of 851 FirstFirst ... 153553603643651652653654655663703753 ... LastLast
Results 6,521 to 6,530 of 8501

Thread: Wurly and Curly thread!!!

Length
    20/25/38,WL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

Default Re: Wurly and Curly thread!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Silverbrumby View Post
    I'm curious as well to see if that worked. This is a great thread.
    I will let all know if my little experiments have worked tonight. I am SO curious as well.
    Meow to all!!! /\_/\ (=O.O=) (#) (#)

Length
    buzz/MBL/term
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I used a mostly CO routine for years. (Inspired by this forum, in the old incarnation!) I saw immediate results when I switched to mostly conditioner. My hair really needed the moisture! Instead of a frizz-head, now I had soft shiny waves that behaved.

I continued to use shampoo, but I'd only use a small amount - like the size of a dime. And I only shampooed my scalp, not the hair. Sometimes I'd skip the shampoo, it just depended on how my hair felt. Because I used so little shampoo, I didn't see much difference between brands, but I usually used baby shampoo because it was mild on my hair and skin.

Then I applied lots of conditioner. Like a whole handful, sometimes two. I used a coney conditioner - the non-coney ones just didn't moisturize my hair enough. I didn't have any build-up issues for a few years. Then I'd use baking soda or dish soap (just a little!) to clarify and the cones would work again.

I've always used towels. As long as you pat and scrunch, not rub, any old towel is fine. Did you know that microfiber is even more drying and static inducing than towels? Anything's OK as long as you don't rub and scrub!

Now I'm attempting to ditch all the shampoo and conditioner and use water and oil instead. I think the CO method has been a great transition between shampoo and WO.
    2c, average and healthy black platinum hair, MBL
    My hair loves stearamidopropyl dimethylamine, protein, preening, oils, and plopping
    My hair hates distearyldimonium chloride, quaternium-87, phenoxyethanol, brushes

Length
    Class/Class/Class
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by earthnut View Post
    I used a mostly CO routine for years. (Inspired by this forum, in the old incarnation!) I saw immediate results when I switched to mostly conditioner. My hair really needed the moisture! Instead of a frizz-head, now I had soft shiny waves that behaved.

I continued to use shampoo, but I'd only use a small amount - like the size of a dime. And I only shampooed my scalp, not the hair. Sometimes I'd skip the shampoo, it just depended on how my hair felt. Because I used so little shampoo, I didn't see much difference between brands, but I usually used baby shampoo because it was mild on my hair and skin.

Then I applied lots of conditioner. Like a whole handful, sometimes two. I used a coney conditioner - the non-coney ones just didn't moisturize my hair enough. I didn't have any build-up issues for a few years. Then I'd use baking soda or dish soap (just a little!) to clarify and the cones would work again.

I've always used towels. As long as you pat and scrunch, not rub, any old towel is fine. Did you know that microfiber is even more drying and static inducing than towels? Anything's OK as long as you don't rub and scrub!

Now I'm attempting to ditch all the shampoo and conditioner and use water and oil instead. I think the CO method has been a great transition between shampoo and WO.
    I've found that after I clarified that 1 last time, switched to co only with leaving light Suave's or V05's for the duration of the whole shower that I don't need any poo (not even non sls on my scalp), even when I oil like a madwoman, lol

For me, any kind of terry towel or microfiber makes my wicked wurlys tangle and frizz badly. Mine is 100 different kinds of layers and lengths, so maybe it wouldn't do that if it were closer to one length so for me flat cottons work the best.

How exciting that you are doint WO and oils. *bows head over bended knee*

you hafta keep us posted on your progress!!!

Length
    buzz/MBL/term
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by WickedWurlys View Post
    How exciting that you are doint WO and oils. *bows head over bended knee*

you hafta keep us posted on your progress!!!
    I clarified with baking soda to remove the old products from my hair, then I ran just hot water over my hair for a while, scrubbing my scalp well. I oiled my hair with a couple drops of olive oil while it was still moist, and again when it dried because it was still a little frizzy. For the last couple days my hair has been nice and soft. But we'll see because it hasn't been long yet!

I figured I've been doing WO and oils on my skin for a while now, so why wouldn't it work for my hair too? And I also figure the all-natural conditioners are water+oil+humectants, I can just use the oil and maybe the humectant on moist hair and it should work the same. That's my theory anyway.
    My hair loves stearamidopropyl dimethylamine, protein, preening, oils, and plopping
    My hair hates distearyldimonium chloride, quaternium-87, phenoxyethanol, brushes

Length
    Class/Class/Class
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

I clarified with baking soda to remove the old products from my hair, then I ran just hot water over my hair for a while, scrubbing my scalp well. I oiled my hair with a couple drops of olive oil while it was still moist, and again when it dried because it was still a little frizzy. For the last couple days my hair has been nice and soft. But we'll see because it hasn't been long yet!

I figured I've been doing WO and oils on my skin for a while now, so why wouldn't it work for my hair too? And I also figure the all-natural conditioners are water+oil+humectants, I can just use the oil and maybe the humectant on moist hair and it should work the same. That's my theory anyway.
    I'm confused on the humectant part? Like what would you be using as humectants?

ETA: thought I would clarify my question being will you be using oils as your humectants? If so, I think you are an exceptionally brave girl going into summer since the optimum dew points/weather would be 35-50 farenheit and especially anything over 60f would be frizz scary land?
    Last edited by WickedWurlys; April 22nd, 2012 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Clarification

Length
    buzz/MBL/term
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I'm confused on the humectant part? Like what would you be using as humectants?

ETA: thought I would clarify my question being will you be using oils as your humectants? If so, I think you are an exceptionally brave girl going into summer since the optimum dew points/weather would be 35-50 farenheit and especially anything over 60f would be frizz scary land?
    Oils aren't humectants. Humectants are gel/syrup like substances that pull moisture from the air. Glycerin, aloe vera gel, honey, molasses are examples of humectants.

I'm undecided on them. My hair so far seems to do fine with just oils. When I've used humectants in the past, I seem to do best with them mixed with oil. And you're right, from what I've read, humectants can cause frizz at low and high humidities. Right now should be fine, but summers here are dry, so I'll find out then.

Length
    Class/Class/Class
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

Oils aren't humectants. Humectants are gel/syrup like substances that pull moisture from the air. Glycerin, aloe vera gel, honey, molasses are examples of humectants.

I'm undecided on them. My hair so far seems to do fine with just oils. When I've used humectants in the past, I seem to do best with them mixed with oil. And you're right, from what I've read, humectants can cause frizz at low and high humidities. Right now should be fine, but summers here are dry, so I'll find out then.
    Certain oils are considered humectants depending on polarity, but I see that you meant the regular humectants in the typical sense. I use them mixed with oils too and have pretty good luck. Luckily or unluckily, where I live I can only use them for about 3 months out of the year.

I'm really excited about your new adventure and keeping my fingers/toes crossed for ya. Are you going to document with pics?

Length
    buzz/MBL/term
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Certain oils are considered humectants depending on polarity
    *Goes to look it up*... ah yes I see that castor oil is considered a humectant too. Interesting, I'll have to try it sometime. It seems to be a humectant because of the unusual OH group on its principal fatty acid. Also very short fatty acids. Maybe coconut oil, with short saturated fats, has some humectant properties?

I'm really excited about your new adventure and keeping my fingers/toes crossed for ya. Are you going to document with pics?
    Thanks! I'm not sure that photos would show the changes too much? I'm not planning on much organized documentation, but we'll see. My current plan is to try a different oil each month. I'm going to try coconut oil next, and then flax seed, two very different oils, and see which one my hair likes better.
    Last edited by earthnut; April 23rd, 2012 at 01:39 AM.

Length
    Class/Class/Class
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

The pics would be neat as you go through your adventure, but at either way you must share your results and good luck!!

Length
    20/25/38,WL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

My experiment worked! Kinda....my hair is curlier than usual, it is moisturized but kinda, flat, I think with more moisture, all will be good, even though I used cones yesterday in my DT, I will CO wash with my suave conditioner tonight and apply my nexxus ultimate moisture conditioner, if I get icky hair from all the conditioner or my mousse feels sticky, I might use diluted shampoo, but other than that more moisture, more conditioner, CO , moisture might just fix everything, the difference in my dried out striaghtish hair and my wurlish very conditioned hair is amazing!
    Meow to all!!! /\_/\ (=O.O=) (#) (#)