Page 617 of 851 FirstFirst ... 117517567607615616617618619627667717 ... LastLast
Results 6,161 to 6,170 of 8501

Thread: Wurly and Curly thread!!!

Length
    Pixie/BCL/?!
    Type
    3b/3c/M/C/ii

Default Re: Wurly and Curly thread!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshineliz View Post
    I have a question for the wurly curlies--what do you do with your halo of frizz? Do you just accept it as a fact of curly hair, or do you find a way to tame it? If you tame it, does it make your hair less curly?

DD5's curls are quite lovely these days, (sorry no pic) I'm looking at it right now as it just finished drying from her shower earlier today--she's got 3a curls around her face, and is more wavy/wurly in the back. However, her halo of frizz on top of her head is tremendous. I CO wash her hair, gel it out of the shower (mostly ear-level down) and plop her hair for at least a few minutes. If it's right before bed, she sleeps in her plop. She seems to have less frizz this way, but her curls aren't as strong. Perhaps both the curl and frizz got smushed? If it isn't before bed, we plop for a while and then she airdries. She seems to get stronger curls this way (unless she's rubbing her head all over the floor or otherwise goofing with her hair) but again, alot of frizz.

I'm obviously merely wavy with a little curl but I notice the same kind of problem on me--airdry=frizz and stronger waves with occasional curls. Plop (rarely done on me)=mashed waves and less frizz. And then damp bunning which eliminates frizz from the scalp to jaw.

Is frizz just something you have to deal with if you want the wurls and curls to be stronger?

ETA: btw DD2's hair is starting to get past baby stage and it looks like I've got another wurly on my hands. The longer it gets, the wurlier. Or maybe it's just because I know how to better care for the wurls now...either way SHE doesn't seem to have any frizz!
    Yep, I don't try to "fight" top layer frizz. I just monitor if it's changing. There will always be some short hairs that aren't long enough yet to fit into the curl pattern. I only worry if there appear to be a LOT more hairs, because that's one sign of breakage.

I'm also another who does like gel. People think controls the frizz, when all it does is stick things together. Thing is, the hairs may be stuck together, but not in the clump formation that leads to the pretties curls. I'm a big believer in really intense moisture and sealing with a leave-in conditioner or oil, usually alternating. Once the hair finds the clumps it likes, they usually reform pretty easily.

Finally (sorry for the long post), I can't sleep in a plot either. My curls get kinda flattened and then usually don't spring back. If I mist them, they'll come back but frizzy. If you can, just let her air dry before sleep and when she gets older or her hair gets longer, she can sleep in a damp bun, which is THE very best way to have surprise-proof hair in the morning.

HTH
    Grew out the pixie.
    Acquired a mane.
    Cruising toward Classic.

**For my routine, please see my blog posts.**

Length
    Pixie/BCL/?!
    Type
    3b/3c/M/C/ii

Lookee! It's growing!

Yay, the curls are happy and there's finally enough length for it to start growing down my back. FINALLY.

Just happy and wanted to share.
    Last edited by CurlyCap; January 1st, 2012 at 12:15 AM.
    Grew out the pixie.
    Acquired a mane.
    Cruising toward Classic.

Gregorian Enchantress Theobroma's Avatar
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyCap View Post
    Lookee! It's growing!

Yay, the curls are happy and there's finally enough length for it to start growing down my back. FINALLY.

Yay growth and happy curls!

Length
    SL/26.5"/30"
    Type
    3a/F/i/ii

Lookee! It's growing!

Hair is looking lovely, CurlyCap. It will probably start to "stretch" with the weight soon, and you'll appear to gain alot of length very quickly.

Length
    shldr/bsl+/:)
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Lookee! It's growing!

Beautiful curls CurlyCap!
    Lady Laucamiluiel of the Silken Crown, in the order of
    The Long Haired Knights

Length
    Pixie/BSL/BSL
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Beautiful, CurlyCap! Congrats!
    Proud Member of the Renegray Gang
    Lady Arethusa of the Gossamer Garden in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

Length
    13"/39½"/47"
    Type
    3c/F/ii

You're about to enter the treacherous forests of lurid curles going stretched or hiding according to their own will. Some feeling the weight of the length, some just bouncing like nothing bothers them. An interesting and aggravating period awaits you!

Length
    Pixie/BCL/?!
    Type
    3b/3c/M/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by cmg View Post
    You're about to enter the treacherous forests of lurid curles going stretched or hiding according to their own will. Some feeling the weight of the length, some just bouncing like nothing bothers them. An interesting and aggravating period awaits you!
    Bring it on!
    Grew out the pixie.
    Acquired a mane.
    Cruising toward Classic.

Length
    3/26/45
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Very pretty CurlyCap.
    Grow, grow grow........

Length
    chin/flip/waist
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshineliz View Post
    Thanks, I hadn't tried vinegar rinses on her. Don't want to push her past her toleration point. She'd definitely rebel over a cold water rinse. We'll see...I've only tried oil once this past summer and it was just before she went swimming. It was coconut oil and her hair somehow seemed drier? (I'm taking that from just before she started to swim.) I didn't pay attention to the state of her frizz at the time.

When she dries without product, the waves and curls are a bit looser, less defined, and she has alot of frizz. The gel we're currently using is LA Looks Wet Look and yes, glycerin is the 2nd ingredient after water. We were using Fruit of the Earth 100% aloe vera gel, and tried this one on a whim. AVG was nice but the curls were less defined and slightly looser, although I think she had less frizz. This is another reason I've been starting to think that it is a trade-off--stronger curl=stronger frizz as well?
    My own hair was seeming to confirm my theory, but DD2's hair is throwing a wrench in that idea.

Hmmm...I've been thinking of looking into a mousse...I wonder if that'd work better or worse?
    Well, a mousse won't have as much hold. I don't use gel myself, but I know that Biosilk rock hard gelee is one of the most popular over at Naturally Curly, and it's glycerin-free. It has a very firm hold which is potentially what your daughter needs. A lot of people layer it with a leave-in either before or after. It's all about experimenting! Hope you find something that works