Page 592 of 851 FirstFirst ... 92492542582590591592593594602642692 ... LastLast
Results 5,911 to 5,920 of 8501

Thread: Wurly and Curly thread!!!

Type
    3b/M/C/ii/iii

Default Re: Wurly and Curly thread!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Athena's Owl View Post
    Water, Isobutane, POLYQUATERNIUM-4, Propane, Panthenyl Ethyl Ether, Panthenol, Propylene Glycol, C9-11 PARETH-8, DMDM Hydantoin, Fragrance, Disodium EDTA, Citric Acid.

ISOBUTANE AND PROPANE? ON MY HAIR? ACK NO
    Propane is used as a propellant, to get the product out of the bottle (same as in spray antiperspirant/deodorant). When out of the pressurized container, it is a colorless, odorless gas that dissipates into the environment. (This is why all aerosol cans are flammable.)

I believe that the isobutane is also there as a propellant, but I don't have any particular education on that product (I used to work at a propane company is how I know about the propane).

I'm just not ready to be a Renegray yet!
    Avatar credit to the lovely milagro

Account Closed by Member Request

Okay, but the idea of putting vehicle fuel anywhere near my hair is really really scary. *shivers*

the mousse i tried a couple weeks back was one of those ones that makes the foam as a function of the pump, like those soap dispensers in public washrooms. it was drying too. I loved the body and I loved the spring I got on my curls (you remember those days when we despaired of how our hair scrunched up shorter as it dried?) but drying as wow.

here's the ingredients:

AQUEOUS (WATER) EXTRACTS OF ROSMARY (ROSMARINUS OFFICINALIS) OIL, NETTLE (URTICADIOICA) OIL, THYME (THYMUS VULGARIS) OIL, BIRCH LEAF (BUTELA ALBA) OIL, CHAMOMILE (ANTHEMIS NOBILUS FLOWER) OIL, CLARY (SALVIA SCLAREA), LAVENDER (LAVANDULA ANGUSTIFOLIA), COLTSFOOT LEAF (TUSSILAGO FARFARA), YARROW (ACHILLEA MILLE-FOLIUM) OIL, MALLOW (MALVA SYLVESTRIS), HORSETAIL (EQUISTETUM ARVENSE) OIL, PVP/VA COPOLYMER, SOYBEAN PROTEIN (GLYCINE CITRIC ACID (COM), SODIUM HYDROXYMETHYLGLYCINATE, GRAPEFRUIT SEED (CITRUS DERIVED).

It might be my hair throwing a fit over the protein (yes it's that picky) but i'm determined to figure a way to keep using this mousse.

ETA: note that all those fantastic essential oils are listed as "Aqueous extracts of blah blah blah blah," so read that as water, pvp/va copolymer, soybean protein, preservative, grapefruit seed oil, and THEN all those EOs.
    Last edited by Athena's Owl; November 7th, 2011 at 01:13 PM. Reason: oh, i forgot to clarify something about the ingredients

Length
    24???/38?/37
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii/iii

I'm wondering about this ingredient: pvp/va copolymer
    Is this some sort of plastic and will it cause a build-up on your hair?
    I've been trying to avoid it because the name reminds me of pvc pipe, but its in everything...well, almost

Length
    shldr/bsl+/:)
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Kelikea View Post
    I'm wondering about this ingredient: pvp/va copolymer
    Is this some sort of plastic and will it cause a build-up on your hair?
    I've been trying to avoid it because the name reminds me of pvc pipe, but its in everything...well, almost

PVP/VA Copolymer is a faint yellow solid derived from petroleum.

Used in : Styling aids, hair sprays, mascara, eyeliner, shampoos, conditioners.

You can buy products without this 'ingredient.
    The site I got the above information from is called: btrue naturals.com
    Hope this helps
    Lady Laucamiluiel of the Silken Crown, in the order of
    The Long Haired Knights

Length
    pixie/bsl/waist
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

My silicone experiment has ended ... it started to give me acne on my back, even though I washed my back after rinsing my hair. I can't tell if my skin was reacting to the silicone or to the stronger surfactants that I was using to remove silicone... but either way, they go together, so if I can't use one then I can't use the other. Bummer!

Anyway, at the moment I'm productless. Does anyone know of a product that I could use for damp-bunning ... I need hold so that my curly baby hairs won't escape, but I don't want my hair to feel "grabby" afterwards like it does with my hard-hold gel, I want it to feel soft and silky and slippery. But no cones. And since I have sensitive skin, no parabens and no "fragrance" ingredient (essential oils are OK, but I just don't like to see the word "fragrance" on the label because that could be literally anything and usually includes skin irritants). Does it exist??

Type
    3b/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by jaine View Post
    Anyway, at the moment I'm productless. Does anyone know of a product that I could use for damp-bunning ... I need hold so that my curly baby hairs won't escape, but I don't want my hair to feel "grabby" afterwards like it does with my hard-hold gel, I want it to feel soft and silky and slippery. But no cones. And since I have sensitive skin, no parabens and no "fragrance" ingredient (essential oils are OK, but I just don't like to see the word "fragrance" on the label because that could be literally anything and usually includes skin irritants). Does it exist??
    Have you tried Fruit of the Earth aloe vera gel? I hate the "hard helmet" feel of gel, but the aloe is much "softer" when dry, while still giving some hold.

Length
    HL/38TBL/CLSC?
    Type
    3b/F/M/ii

I keep wanting to go curly again. But since I started doing Krav Maga (self-defense training) about 6 weeks ago, I just don't know if it can work. it's so strenuous and high contact and I sweat like mad--I don't see how I can prevent it from turning my curls into a fuzzy matted mess. It's a challenge for my hair even when it's not curly. On the other hand, I love Krav so much, and I hate to think that it and my natural curls are mutually exclusive. I guess there's no way to know, but to try it out! I've just been hesitant to invest the time and effort into creating nice looking curls only to turn right around and ruin them. But I miss them! Dilemmas.

Gregorian Enchantress Theobroma's Avatar
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by GRU View Post
    Have you tried Fruit of the Earth aloe vera gel? I hate the "hard helmet" feel of gel, but the aloe is much "softer" when dry, while still giving some hold.
    I second the aloe vera gel. And I find that the stiff feel of it can be much improved by mixing it with a little coconut oil.

(I scrape up some coconut oil and melt it in the palm of my hand, then squirt some AVG into my palm and mix everything together with a fingertip before applying it to my hair. Works very well for me.)

Gregorian Enchantress Theobroma's Avatar
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by jaine View Post
    My silicone experiment has ended ... it started to give me acne on my back, even though I washed my back after rinsing my hair. I can't tell if my skin was reacting to the silicone or to the stronger surfactants that I was using to remove silicone... but either way, they go together, so if I can't use one then I can't use the other. Bummer!
    Suggestion: wash your hair upside-down in the sink. If you're so happy with what cones do to your hair, that would be an excellent way to get them on your hair but prevent them from getting into contact with your back at all.

Type
    3b/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Theobroma View Post
    I second the aloe vera gel. And I find that the stiff feel of it can be much improved by mixing it with a little coconut oil.

(I scrape up some coconut oil and melt it in the palm of my hand, then squirt some AVG into my palm and mix everything together with a fingertip before applying it to my hair. Works very well for me.)
    I actually pre-mixed some AVG and sweet almond oil in a bottle to keep at the ready. Works great for calming frizz and keeping the sticky-outies from ruining a sleek-look bun.