Page 563 of 851 FirstFirst ... 63463513553561562563564565573613663 ... LastLast
Results 5,621 to 5,630 of 8501

Thread: Wurly and Curly thread!!!

Type
    3b/M/C/ii/iii

Default Re: Wurly and Curly thread!!!

I was also disappointed that the "spring factor" didn't take into account the length of the hair.

Someone with 3c hair that is APL is not going to have the same length of spring as a 3c with TBL hair.

I had read the library's copy of the first edition, then held off on buying my own until the second edition came out (the release date had already been given, so I knew there was a new one coming). Then I bought the new edition sight-unseen, and I wish I hadn't -- I don't think it did a very good job explaining the different ingredients (cones and such).

I also thought it put way too much emphasis on "not destroying the curl structure" -- that business about "sprinkling" your hair to rinse it, so you didn't harm the curls? Seriously? How on earth is "sprinkling" going to rinse CURLY hair? I realize I'm a full-on curly instead of a wavy, but I think most curly/wurly hair is going to re-curl on its own if it gets wet -- I know that I can comb through mine with a three-row comb when it's wet and the curls come right back, so I really think that if someone rinses their hair under the shower, it won't straighten their curls. (If that's all it takes, why is there such a high demand for flat irons?)

Yeah, all in all, I'm very disappointed with this book....

I'm just not ready to be a Renegray yet!
    Avatar credit to the lovely milagro

made of sugar and cyanide MandyBeth's Avatar
    Length
    6"?/17"/.....
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii/iii

Also with the book and the idea of not soaking curls - I'm a wavy who pretends to have straight hair because I frizz if I don't brush it out damp at least. If I keep it dry, it stays straight. If I rewash it, thus soaking it and messing up any possible wave pattern, bam, it's right back.

Seriously, if I'm at most a 2a who can soak my head and get the waves to reform so I can kill them yet again - really, the curls are going to reform if they get wet I'd think.

Maybe it's an issue for hair that's not in halfway decent shape?

Length
    18/Waist/Waist
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by GRU View Post
    I was also disappointed that the "spring factor" didn't take into account the length of the hair.

Someone with 3c hair that is APL is not going to have the same length of spring as a 3c with TBL hair.
    Yeah, just for fun I measured the spring in DD2's hair. Hehehe, 2 inch spring on hair that is only 3-4 inches long. Don't think that'll help!

I also thought it put way too much emphasis on "not destroying the curl structure" -- that business about "sprinkling" your hair to rinse it, so you didn't harm the curls? Seriously? How on earth is "sprinkling" going to rinse CURLY hair? I realize I'm a full-on curly instead of a wavy, but I think most curly/wurly hair is going to re-curl on its own if it gets wet -- I know that I can comb through mine with a three-row comb when it's wet and the curls come right back, so I really think that if someone rinses their hair under the shower, it won't straighten their curls. (If that's all it takes, why is there such a high demand for flat irons?)

Yeah, all in all, I'm very disappointed with this book....
    Yeah, she made me absolutely worried that anything I would do would destroy the curl/wave structure and the curls/waves would never reach their full potential. Now I think if I have to worry that much it isn't worth it.

Still, it isn't a bad introduction to the whole idea of embracing curls. Then you can take what you get from there and understand what people are talking about on the forums more.

On another note, I got a horn comb the other day and my kids and I were trying it out. It wasn't as wide-toothed as I'd hoped, but not really fine-toothed either. I haven't combed DD5 in ages--beyond finger-combing--and she was so disappointed that I wasn't trying it out on her that she literally cried for me to do it (she was just feeling left out.) So I did, and she didn't look bad at all--a little more Veronica-Lake-like with stronger curls around her face. But I felt bad when I could see little pieces of hair falling out while combing even though I was trying to be gentle. But hey, what's the use of encouraging her curl all the time if she feels left out? She's young and if it makes her happy to have an occasional real combing, I'll oblige. (Funny how she used to dread that combing.)
    Last edited by Sunshineliz; September 13th, 2011 at 08:09 AM.
    Renegray all the way!
    "So brave is the moon, confronting so great a darkness with so small a face" --Elizabeth Goudge

Type
    3b/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by MandyBeth View Post
    Seriously, if I'm at most a 2a who can soak my head and get the waves to reform so I can kill them yet again - really, the curls are going to reform if they get wet I'd think.
    So it's not just me, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshineliz View Post
    Yeah, she made me absolutely worried that anything I would do would destroy the curl structure and the curls/waves would never reach their full potential. Now I think if I have to worry that much it isn't worth it.
    Especially since you'd be worrying about nothing!

I'm just not ready to be a Renegray yet!
    Avatar credit to the lovely milagro

Length
    6"?/17"/.....
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by GRU View Post
    So it's not just me, eh?
    Nope. Plus J's hair, instant curl if it's wet. I don't think her hair is ever NOT curly. And my damaged idea doesn't hold up, given her hair is damaged and still curly. More curly now that it's getting better.

Length
    18/Waist/Waist
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

Oh I don't know, she manages to make it sound like wavies need to be the most worried of all to not disturb their waves with the washing. You have to manage to get all the conditioner out, but with low water pressure and cupping or hairnetting your hair at the same time so as to "contain your hair's wave structure." And she manages to make you think you can't have nice waves without following her methods exactly.

But yeah, full on curlies are going to be curly whether they protected their "structure" or not.
    Renegray all the way!
    "So brave is the moon, confronting so great a darkness with so small a face" --Elizabeth Goudge

Length
    6"?/17"/.....
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii/iii

Yeah, I do COwash, I have greasy, limp hair. I HAVE to use shampoo, just no way around it right now. It may change as my hair gets longer.

But erm, low water pressure???? I'd be rinsing my hair 3 years later to get the CO out!

I can get decent waves if I fuss at them some. But my hair right now (thank you henna and post surgery regrowth) is so prone to frizz insanity, so it's just easier to brush it out wet/damp and let it be mostly straight, 1b-ish.

Length
    1/34.6"/41
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

So the Curly Girl book has different classifications than they use here or on Naturally Curly? The one they use on NC annoys me because they define wavies by the thickness of the individual hairs while curlies are defined by curl patern.

From NC:
    2a: Fine, thin and very easy to handle; easily straightened or curled
    2b: Medium-textured and a little resistant to styling; has a tendency to frizz
    2c: Thick and coarse and more resistant to styling and will frizz easily

There is more to waves than just the thickness of the individual hairs!
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 CL 15 16 17 18 SL 20 21 22 23 APL 25 26 27 BSL 28 29 30 31 32 WL 34 35 36 HL 38 39 40 TB

Length
    18/Waist/Waist
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

Yeah, I can CO wash but only if I get out all the conditioner--otherwise I'm greasy. If I were to use low water pressure and cup my hair, that'd be nearly impossible. She probably has relatively good advice for curlies, but I'm not sure she understands wavies so well.

Yeah, MinderMutsig--CG has only two classifications for wavies--S'wavies, and Wavies. Based on spring factor: 1-2"=S'wavy, 2-4"=Wavy. But her care advice for both is the same with only a small notation on differences for finer hair and frizz factor.
    Renegray all the way!

Length
    6"?/17"/.....
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii/iii

I've got a spring factor of 3", woohoo, I'm a wavy or something like that.

I can't CO wash and have my hair look presentable in public. It's the blasted cat fine hair that's the problem.